Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible way to improve keyless security

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suggestion for Tesla to improve security with keyless given the spate of Teslas seem to be being stolen in the UK at the moment.

As I also posted on the TOGUK facebook, I have now turned keyless off and a right pita it is now - just shows how you get used to convenience features.

So, Allow the app to set schedule(s) that keyless won't work. This way if you know you are going to be away from the car for a period of time (eg shopping, or overnight on the drive) you have to use the key or disable schedule from the app to override.
You could also have an option on the main display to disable keyless for xx time on leaving the car, could even default to your normal start time the next day if it detects you are at home.
This, assuming that Tesla don't manage to get phone as a key working for the S as has been trailled, but even then you have to be careful that your phone is not too close when at home.

Hope Tesla pick up on the severity of these thefts in the UK - I would suggest a specific update (again) and with notes to disable due to thefts with a warning dsplayed if you override.

This is bad for Tesla reputation and sales as insurance costs will spiral out of control, and also an opportunity for Tesla to show agility that other makers cannot as it is not just Tesla that are affected.

Other ideas?

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-29_7-2-41.png
    upload_2018-7-29_7-2-41.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
I think what was mentioned in other post, adding pin code entry on main screen, will be the best.
In many countries additional keyboards, for double unlocking, is put mandatory by insurance companies.
Adding the pin code feature, that people can switch on or off via the app looks like feasible fix.
(My car is in locked garage during night but maybe I will even it on as extra security).

i'd rather they didn't even get in to the car, only to smash something (main display?) in frustration at a pincode request.

in my version you can can continue to use the car as normal with PE/keyless, no hassle of pincodes, but with significantly increased security

This is the only car I have ever had that I leave the keys in accidentally. Not blaming Tesla for that, it's me. But maybe because it's just so easy to do. I'll be looking for my keys and find 'em in the car. I have not seen a theft problem on Tesla's here in the US, but if I keep leaving the FOB in the car I'll become a victim