Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some pictures of the space on the left mirror where the wind blows through and makes the whistling noise. With the tape in place there is no whistling noise at all. So far it has not prevented the mirror from folding and unfolding.

With the mirror in the normal position you can barely see the tape.
View attachment 494437
With the mirror folded, you can see the black duck tape covering the chrome metal.
View attachment 494438

View from under the mirror, folded.
View attachment 494439
View from under the mirror, unfolded.
View attachment 494440
Did you do both passenger and driver sides, and also did you need to tape both sides of the mirror joint, or just one side to fix the problem? I assume that the problem is that the gap is too big, causing the whistling noise and the solution was to fill the gap

First let me start off that the Model X is way quieter than my Model 3.

But I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is normal or not, it's fairly subtle.

If while driving I lean toward the center I cannot hear a thing on the passenger side.

It starts as low at 30 mph.

I suspect it's one of the window gaskets is not quite sealing against the glass near the bottom around the front "opera" window.

When I sit in passenger seat I hear nothing and if I lean left over the center console I still can't hear it. It's pretty subtle.

I could certainly live with it, but if it's not right I'd like to get it fixed. It's so subtle I think Tesla might balk or say they can't hear it. So I'd like to see if I can locate it myself first. I don't recall it on the overnight Demo either.

Also wanted to check if there is a common issue like this that is already known and what the resolutions were.

Thanks
I had and still have this issue. Tesla service replaced the passenger side mirror and it was fix for about a year and now it’s intermittently back whistling while I drive on long road trips, they can’t figure out why now. Be sure to record a video while it is whistling before taking it to the Service Center.

Here are some pictures of the space on the left mirror where the wind blows through and makes the whistling noise. With the tape in place there is no whistling noise at all. So far it has not prevented the mirror from folding and unfolding.

With the mirror in the normal position you can barely see the tape.
View attachment 494437
With the mirror folded, you can see the black duck tape covering the chrome metal.
View attachment 494438

View from under the mirror, folded.
View attachment 494439
View from under the mirror, unfolded.
View attachment 494440
Why don’t they fix the design?!

Mine never turned out to be the mirror. See my follow up posts on the first page.

It was the rubber strip on the INSIDE that goes against the drivers window not sealing. Glass was tilted to far inward and was pushed out when the door shut opening a gap. All it took was adjusting the glass outward, away from the gasket at the top (which was counter intuitive). Been fine since.

I guarantee lot of cars have this issue. It’s very easy to miss and hard to diagnose. You’ll hear all sorts of noises coming through with that gap.

I had my drivers side window regulator replaced this week. After it was done, I noticed a whistling noise while driving. Slightly cracking the window down actually fixes the problem. Works for the passenger side as well (noticed it more now). I have an appt next week to hopefully get it adjusted
Do you remember what the service center did to resolve the issue? I just purchased a used 2019 X and figured out this was causing the excess noise on the driver side.