Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post 12/05/23 S and X announcement, LHD insurance quotes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, post the sad announcement, who is buying or thinking about buying a LHD? (It's been said quite a few people have.)
Has anyone got insurance quotes? I've had a look on Compare The Market and Confused today, and there is no option for Plaid; the nearest you can enter is a 2023 P100D (!) or Ludicrous AWD. You can enter RHD or LHD and depending on the companies that will quote, this makes either a bit of a difference (≈£150) or none at all.

Direct line won't give you an online quote on any car >£100K, you have to call them.

Direct line won't give you an online quote on any car >£100K, you have to call them.
I wasn't in on any of them but during webinar sessions held yesterday when the good news was delivered, apparantly the Tesla rep suggested calling DL, as they are Tesla's 'preferred' Insurer (which actually dates back to the early years but that's another story).

A few people did with the result being DL said stop calling us we can't quote for a LHD until after the weekend. They obviously knoew nothing about it which is about par for the course for Tesla comms. The TOGUK posted on the owners group - stop calling. I think by then most had anyway and were on their way to the Porsche and Lotus centres. :D

Are people seriously going spend £100k on a LHD car when there are so many options around?

Looks like Tesla called the market right if that's true. Why waste resources coverting to RHD when people will buy it any ways.

I think I have bought our first and last Tesla. When the time comes for the X to go it'll be an iX if I still want a big car, or i4 - which having seen a few have grown on me.

Are people seriously going spend £100k on a LHD car when there are so many options around?

Looks like Tesla called the market right if that's true. Why waste resources coverting to RHD when people will buy it any ways.

I think I have bought our first and last Tesla. When the time comes for the X to go it'll be an iX if I still want a big car, or i4 - which having seen a few have grown on me.
Biggest problem of the iX : it has only 5 seats, might work for some but not a direct competitor for the 6/7 seater MX. Only other option will be Volvo EX90, but that's probably a 12 month lead time if you were to order one today...

So, post the sad announcement, who is buying or thinking about buying a LHD? (It's been said quite a few people have.)
Has anyone got insurance quotes? I've had a look on Compare The Market and Confused today, and there is no option for Plaid; the nearest you can enter is a 2023 P100D (!) or Ludicrous AWD. You can enter RHD or LHD and depending on the companies that will quote, this makes either a bit of a difference (≈£150) or none at all.

why would you even consider this nonsense?! you really plan to spend 100k on the LHD car? :D
it will be eye watering anyway.

Reactions: Durzel and roadcred
if I still want a big car,

Dunno what stage you are at ... I had people carrier "bus" when our kids were at school - originally Chrysler grand voyager, which was huge, and then a Renault espace which it was easy to add/remove seats, and finally a Seat Alhambra.. 7 seat-size meant that the 4 of us could go on holiday and just throw all our clobber in the back without having to pack carefully. Or I could transport 6 kids from A-to-B .. or haul rash eBay purchases home.

Then they went to senior (boarding) school and it was carting their clobber to/from school - massive music equipment (if your kids are young tip: get them to learn the Piccolo not a blinking Harp, nor large brass instruments and certainly not Orchestral percussion ...) not to mention other sports stuff - yeah, hockey goalie is another poor choice you could make.

By that point I was thinking a few trips a year to school was extravagant retention of a people carrier ... but then once at Uni they commandeered the "Bus" to take their chums from A-to-B - performing / completing / whatever.

And then finally, once they left Uni, and Model-Y had a trailer hitch my only remaining usage, rash eBay purchase haulage, was solved and the Bus went.

To those saying it's daft to consider a LHD car costing >£100k, I sort of agree.
The trouble is I find myself considering it because the only other currently available car that comes anywhere near approaching close to the performance of a MS Plaid is the Porsche Taycan Turbo S. I test drove one this week and it is wonderful. However by the time it is spec'd to Tesla standards (UV proof glass roof*, great hifi, heated seats/steering wheel, a few other things) it is way more expensive - £177k for my config. So considering this cost, the poorer software, space, range and charging network, and that LHD insurance doesn't (yet?!) seem to be an issue, I do find myself a considering a LHD. Haven't decided for sure yet, maybe I'll come to my senses - but so far it's not looking like I'm going to! 😂

*Don't test drive a Porsche with a pano roof on a nice day without a hat! Would you believe their glass roof (£1250 option) has no UV protection! (The one that does is a £4K option). They didn't tell me and now I have a red head 🥵

To those saying it's daft to consider a LHD car costing >£100k, I sort of agree.
The trouble is I find myself considering it because the only other currently available car that comes anywhere near approaching close to the performance of a MS Plaid is the Porsche Taycan Turbo S. I test drove one this week and it is wonderful. However by the time it is spec'd to Tesla standards (UV proof glass roof*, great hifi, heated seats/steering wheel, a few other things) it is way more expensive - £177k for my config. So considering this cost, the poorer software, space, range and charging network, and that LHD insurance doesn't (yet?!) seem to be an issue, I do find myself a considering a LHD. Haven't decided for sure yet, maybe I'll come to my senses - but so far it's not looking like I'm going to! 😂

*Don't test drive a Porsche with a pano roof on a nice day without a hat! Would you believe their glass roof (£1250 option) has no UV protection! (The one that does is a £4K option). They didn't tell me and now I have a red head 🥵
while it is true... in reality you will enjoy that real plaid performance - how many times a year? There is like full procedure to launch it. you will not race it off the traffic lights (well not daily, I am sure).

what you will end up with is 120k+ car with steering wheel on the wrong side of the car and total pain for daily stuff (drive thru, tolls, ticket machines, etc.) and with car value dropping down like meteorite.

on top most probably no finance will be available for it (well maybe tesla loan?) and insurance will be like a small 2 bed house in liverpool..

Reactions: Durzel
There is like full procedure to launch it. you will not race it off the traffic lights

The procedure is straightforward ... I had that (or similar) on the Performance MS I had previously. In practice I never used it, I just stomped the accelerator, which was not much slower than "Launch". So "Every time away from the lights" would be feasible (if you actually wanted to do that ...)

Reactions: Js1977

What you've missed in the comparison with the Taycan Turbo S is that the steering wheel would be on the correct side for this country. That has some value, quite a lot I'd argue.

I think people would be utterly nuts dropping normal RRP money on LHD Model S, particularly given Tesla's track record with price drops on a whim, and direction changes. If they "crack the RHD problem" in a couple of years time they'll be celebrated by their fans while the value of your LHD car will basically go to zero* overnight.

* maybe slightly hyperbolic

I heard RHD will be offered as a future software update…
MW-FQ130_quiet_20170712121501_ZG.jpg

Biggest problem of the iX : it has only 5 seats, might work for some but not a direct competitor for the 6/7 seater MX. Only other option will be Volvo EX90, but that's probably a 12 month lead time if you were to order one today...
Might be an even longer wait as Volvo have announced that the EX90 (and sister Polestar 3) have been delayed until the first half of 2024 due to software issues, so could be a couple of years before you get a RHD one, especially as Volvo have temporarily closed the order book for the EX90.

On a sort of related point I actually saw a BMW i7 yesterday. My word, what an ugly car, though being in white with the black front end probably didn’t help.