Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Battery Day: Let's talk Sustainable Energy Transition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I was mulling over Tesla's plan to reach 3 TWh battery production a year from 2030 and their estimate that ~ 20 TWh a year is needed for the world. The arithmetic says that Tesla will provide ~ 1/7 the production needed. Who and where does the other 6/7 come from ?

CATL
Panasonic
LG
SKI

Other major or emerging players ? Europe is notably missing

I was mulling over Tesla's plan to reach 3 TWh battery production a year from 2030 and their estimate that ~ 20 TWh a year is needed for the world. The arithmetic says that Tesla will provide ~ 1/7 the production needed. Who and where does the other 6/7 come from ?

CATL
Panasonic
LG
SKI

Someone would fill the gap. Tesla's estimate for itself is reasonable.

CATL
Panasonic
LG
SKI

You mean European companies. There are multiple cell and battery factories planned in Eastern Europe.

Tesla poking around for a 10% stake in LG makes me think they're looking for a permanent partner to do the actual legwork on a lot of their innovations.

[EXCLUSIVE] Tesla looking to acquire stake in LG

To me this smells like the direct outcome of all the 1Q19 drama with Panasonic. Felt like Gigafactory cell production was purposely "limited" by Panasonic that quarter in a not-so-subtle effort to renegotiate terms of their partnership. Elon clearly made some decisions coming out of that quarter to never be bottlenecked by a cell supplier again.

If this turns out to be the case.....what a year for Korea!

Top covid19 response.
Best picture Oscar.
Chosen by Elon as primary cell production partner to transform global energy. (Maybe)