Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential New Owner of Used 2016 60D

Should I purchase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone!

I have been lurking the forums for a couple weeks now and searching all about the Model X. I am planning to go look at a used Model X 60D with numerous features. (2016 Tesla Model X 60D Newport Beach CA 24833815) I understand the AP1 vs AP2 difference and do not plan to use much of either as I commute on LA freeways and don't want to risk anything.

My concerns are reliability and safety.
I have researched online and found many trolls but also some staggering information. This vehicle comes up with no recalls when I searched the VIN, so that is good. However, when I checked the comments/complaints on nhtsa.gov website, I am becoming more skeptical of considering this purchase. I am also concerned about an issue with suspension failing and complaints of unexpected acceleration while parking.

I currently have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV which is being repurchased by FCA in the next couple weeks due to reliability issues and being in service for more than 30 days. The Tesla payment would be a little higher than my van payment, but I am concerned about a potentially significant increase in insurance rates (I have a call out to my agent) and increased cost of ownership.

I appreciate any feedback and trolls, please be kind.

Best,

Jeremy

@jmcmill nothing necessarily stands out on that car ..I have never heard of unintended acceleration in the X or suspension issues ..but have you looked at EV-cpo or Tesla-info for comparable X’s and CPO models ? The price above isn’t that great and you can find a X75D for few dollars more... I owned three Tesla’s and you can never underestimate battery size ..the 60 while ok for an S ..in the heavier X you will miss the battery size ...IMO the 75 is the min battery size for this car ( disclaimer I have never owned anything smaller than 85 battery) ...also I commute a lot in LA/OC area the AP reduces stress in stop and go traffic ...I would do some homework on prices /options at sites listed above ..also go to Buena Park Tesla as they have some CPO Tesla’s there ..since one you listed is not coming from Tesla I would be concerned about any warranty good luck on finding a Tesla !

• Disagree
Reactions: Numonefan
That should be a 75kWh with it software locked at 60kWh. It’s about $2500 to unlock if you need to. I’m keeping mine locked for now but it’s an S. I would think you could get the service history from Tesla to make sure it’s not a lemon.

I think the unintended acceleration is caused by human error not the car taking off on its own. I’ve heard of a few suspension problems but rare and usually caused by running into curbs or other immovable objects. Not sure about insurance. I haven’t heard my wife complain about the insurance bill.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
It’s odd to see a Tesla at used car dealership unless they purchased from auction ...with those low miles also not sure why that isn’t in Tesla’s inventory as CPO ..unless it was indeed a lemon and just auctioned off :(

• Disagree
Thank you both for your quick reply. I’ve been using the ev-cpo.com site for the last couple weeks and the couple MX that come up are in the 85k+ range.
I do have slight reservations with the battery capacity as well and may need to upgrade to the 75 at some point in future. I have access to charging at work and have been able to use very little gas in my previously owned volt and Pacifica, which only has about 33 miles of electric. I tried to get them to move on the price but because of demand since posting days ago they are not moving. This is the only MX I found through a reputable dealer or CPO below 75k with AP and the additional features.

I’ve been in contact with an OA considering new vs used. I was going to order a new MS last night but stubbled upon this and wanted to look at it first before deciding. We ideally want a MX, but as mentioned could not find one at our price point. I am in need a of a car in the next couple weeks as the van will be surrendered soon.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Since you are not getting from tesla I would check if the free supercharging transfers to you as well as any remaining warranty ...early VIN X’s had issues with FWD doors etc and the newer builds have a lot of changes done since then to sensors, buttons etc for the FWDS...if you were previous Tesla owner and understand nuances with owning one ..I would say this is best deal you can find out there ..but I wouldn’t underestimate the service side of things where right now pretty much only Tesla can service the car (aside from tires) ...knowing some of the issues with early VIN Xs check with Tesla on warranty asap before any purchase..also you mentioned looking at S ...if you don’t really need the seating in the X ..you can probably find better value in a used/CPO S direct from Tesla

• Disagree
That should be a 75kWh with it software locked at 60kWh. It’s about $2500 to unlock if you need to. I’m keeping mine locked for now but it’s an S. I would think you could get the service history from Tesla to make sure it’s not a lemon.

I think the unintended acceleration is caused by human error not the car taking off on its own. I’ve heard of a few suspension problems but rare and usually caused by running into curbs or other immovable objects. Not sure about insurance. I haven’t heard my wife complain about the insurance bill.

Thank you, Electroman. I appreciate your insight and I ask about the service records as well. I would hate to go from one lemon to another.

Since you are not getting from tesla I would check if the free supercharging transfers to you as well as any remaining warranty ...early VIN X’s had issues with FWD doors etc and the newer builds have a lot of changes done since then to sensors, buttons etc for the FWDS...if you were previous Tesla owner and understand nuances with owning one ..I would say this is best deal you can find out there ..but I wouldn’t underestimate the service side of things where right now pretty much only Tesla can service the car (aside from tires) ...knowing some of the issues with early VIN Xs check with Tesla on warranty asap before any purchase..also you mentioned looking at S ...if you don’t really need the seating in the X ..you can probably find better value in a used/CPO S direct from Tesla

Thank you, P85_DA! We do enjoy the extra size the MX offers and we currently have 1 kiddo and the future is unknown. I have the VIN, checked the carfax for whatever that is worth, but is there any specific numbering I should be aware of? I would be a new Yesla owner and understand that basically only Tesla can service the vehicle, but unsure what to expect other than hopefully annual maintenance. I’ve read about figment issues with the FWD and will take a good look at it today, but from the photos nothing is jumping out to me.
I understand we could save some money on a CPO MS direct from Tesla. One concern I have though is buying something without seeing it and most with similar mileage were only a few grand less.

I’m not aware of any VIN number to be aware of it’s just the early VINs had issues that were later worked out ...check tesla on supercharging and warranty ..there is a thread on S forum where some guy bought used Tesla and also lost supercharging

• Disagree
If you are trading in a Chrysler because it was in the shop for 30 days, a Tesla might not be a good fit for you. I purchased my X as a loaner with 3k miles on it. During the first 6 months of ownership, I waited on parts for a cumulative time of about a year (many parts waiting simultaneously over long periods). The car was in the shop for about 2 months total. But now that all of the original isssues have been addressed, it seems reliable.

You may find that after Chrysler addresses the issues, your vehicle is more reliable - even if that period takes longer than you wish. And moving to a Tesla may be jumping from one leaky boat to another.

If you are trading in a Chrysler because it was in the shop for 30 days, a Tesla might not be a good fit for you. I purchased my X as a loaner with 3k miles on it. During the first 6 months of ownership, I waited on parts for a cumulative time of about a year (many parts waiting simultaneously over long periods). The car was in the shop for about 2 months total. But now that all of the original isssues have been addressed, it seems reliable.

You may find that after Chrysler addresses the issues, your vehicle is more reliable - even if that period takes longer than you wish. And moving to a Tesla may be jumping from one leaky boat to another.

Hi Wilday! It was not so much the time away from the vehicle, although I had to fight for a loaner, it’s the continuous unresolved issues. Notably the charging system error to the point the service manager said the van can’t be fixed. Van is not being traded, Chrysler is repurchasing.