Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder coating 20” wheels - White or Black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My white Model 3 is going to RPM Tesla on Jan 2nd. I’m having them go the chrome delete and I want to powder coat the wheels. I really want to go with white but my college age daughters think black would look best. Now when I look under images in Google all I find our black wheels on white Teslas but I think with the Windows already tinted, 20” factory wheels painted white would look good. My only concern is dirt. I’m guessing dirt would show a lot?

This is what the white would look like. Of course the car color would be white also.

4945-DF04-6-B8-C-4-BF1-8-CBC-1-D29-CDA27-A29.jpg

You can coat the painted wheels with a sealant such as Polish Angels supersport wheel coating, Carpros Dlux wheel and trim coat or other sealants from Gyeon and Gtechniq to make cleaning the wheels easier. Less dirt and grime will stick on your wheels with a sealant/coating.

My white Model 3 is going to RPM Tesla on Jan 2nd. I’m having them go the chrome delete and I want to powder coat the wheels. I really want to go with white but my college age daughters think black would look best. Now when I look under images in Google all I find our black wheels on white Teslas but I think with the Windows already tinted, 20” factory wheels painted white would look good. My only concern is dirt. I’m guessing dirt would show a lot?
I am going for white and if anyone has powder coated their wheels white to match the multi coat pearl on the model 3 then please let me know which brand and color you used

Any update I'm thinking of powedercoat my MS 21in Turbine wheels love to see your results
I seen white powder coated wheels somewhere on this forum and I really did not like the look, I thought I would but when I actually seen them.....meh.

I found a place near me that does a black powder coat with a thin PVD chrome over it then they seal it with a clear, looks really unique
The finish I chose is called Onyx, I just dropped them off yesterday and it takes about a week to do, I bought a set of like new Aero's to run while the work is getting done and I'll sell them here when I'm done using them, the company does offer loaner wheels for $150 while work is being done if you want to go that route, the PVD finish is expensive at $200 a wheel but the black chrome look is nice.
PVD Chrome – American PVD
IMG_2167.png

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
You might use one of the dip products. On wheels on one side you could use the white dip, on the other side the black. It peels off so isn’t permanent.

I have a white car, an S. I thought I wanted the black powdercoated wheels initially and for a while after, then I saw some. I didn’t like the look nearly as much as I thought I would.

Anyway if you want white, you can make them white with the dip and see if you like it as much as you think you will. If you like it, peel off the dip and get them powdercoated. If not, it’s easy to undo.

White wheels on a white car looks great.
That was one of the best features of the Porsche Mission E along with the suicide back doors.
With white rims your car will be noticeably different than all the other Tesla's with black or grey rims.
The pictures above look great.

Found the picture from this forum of the white wheels on white, my personal opinion is that the wheels need to match the body color better as they are a little to white, I was going to look for a pearl white powder coat when I changed my mind to go with a black chrome
image1-jpeg.362904

Looks like a pearl white 3 with regular white powder coating. I went to a powedercoat place yesterday and they try to tell me white pearl may be to hard to find a regular white should work.

Prismatic has several, I would order several samples to see which is close, I ordered the pearl step 1 with step 2 sample (before I changed my mind and went with black chrome) that they told me was a close match and it was way off, sample they sent was way to white so get the actual samples for sure

Prismatic Powders - PEARLS STEP 1
Prismatic Powders - PEARLS STEP 2

Prismatic Powders - PEARL WHITE
Prismatic Powders - H.D. WHITE PEARL
Prismatic Powders - DIAMOND PEARL
Prismatic Powders - PEARLIZED WHITE II
Prismatic Powders - ESCALADE WHITE
Prismatic Powders - ALBATROSS
Prismatic Powders - PEARL FROST
Prismatic Powders - MYSTIC WHITE
Prismatic Powders - ALMOND PEARL

Last edited:
I think the silver wheels look good as is especially on the white, silver and blue cars, however, I'm contemplating satin black powder coating for my 20's. I think I'd need to pair this with a chrome delete to make sense. The car pops with the silver wheels... I like to be more on the DL.

If anyone has done the wheel coating mod, please share the price if you would be so kind!

Has anyone here re-coated their brakes black? Cost? Recommendations in the bay area?

I think the silver wheels look good as is especially on the white, silver and blue cars, however, I'm contemplating satin black powder coating for my 20's. I think I'd need to pair this with a chrome delete to make sense. The car pops with the silver wheels... I like to be more on the DL.

If anyone has done the wheel coating mod, please share the price if you would be so kind!

Has anyone here re-coated their brakes black? Cost? Recommendations in the bay area?
I'm planning to go powder coat matte white on my Y 20". I have the calibers white already, windows and headlights smoked and the badges removed or black. The wheel guy is highly suggesting matte vs gloss. Cost is $340 all in - same day service. (Dallas)