Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder coating dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the stock grey 19" 5 star type of rims and really like the looks of black rims, I really don't have money to buy some new rims. So I've been pondering plasti-dipping my rims myself, I have been doing the research on it and have even went to a rim/tire shop and bought a 15" rim ($10) to practice on. I would have to dip them while on the car, so I'm a bit reserved about this method as I don't have multiple jacks or stands to remove the wheels to dip them off the car. I then starting reading threads about powder coating and have called a few local shops to get quotes on p.c'ing my rims glossy black and have received quotes anywhere from $60 a wheel to $140 a wheel. i then came across an ebay listing of my same OEM rims, but already p.c'd glossy black, I noticed the seller was local so I text him (phone number was on the listing) and asked if he would do a trade of my rims and cash. He quickly replied with a "yes" plus $640 cash, which includes swapping my rims with his glossy black p.c'd wheels:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

They come with a 1 year warranty, and basically am paying $160 per wheel vs. lets say the cheapest quote I got for $60 per wheel, which is $240 for all 4...BUT, I would have to get my rims removed from the rims, figure out how to get the p.c'er just the rim....so that circles back to not having any stands or jacks. I think for the $640, I'm really paying for my time because the guy said they could swap out the rims in about 45 minutes and the p.c.'er are saying anywhere from 2-5 days.

So do you guys think the rim swap + $640 is a good deal?

I just got my wheels painted for $500 total and they look great. But I had to leave the car etc. I think that is a fair deal and much simpler than leaving the car, so I think it is a good deal and the pic of the wheels looks awesome.

640 and you would still have to pay to get them mounted. There are shops in So Cal that will do the whole process remove the tires and wheels, powder coat and put them back on for $450.

I am looking for one that would give me loaner wheels so I don't have to leave my car.

So, I did it!!!!

I ended up paying $600!!! Took about 45 minutes to swap everything over....I'm super happy about how they look, the only thing, the guy I bought them from brought the all black center caps and not the ones from the listing. He said no problem, the center cap from the listing have "stickers" on the Tesla logo which he will be mailing to me, OR I could paint them red.....hhhhhmmmmmmmmm

So, I did it!!!!

I ended up paying $600!!! Took about 45 minutes to swap everything over....I'm super happy about how they look, the only thing, the guy I bought them from brought the all black center caps and not the ones from the listing. He said no problem, the center cap from the listing have "stickers" on the Tesla logo which he will be mailing to me, OR I could paint them red.....hhhhhmmmmmmmmm

Looks good. I almost got your rims I think. I contacted that guy today from EBay and he sent me a picture of your car with the new wheels and said that's what I would get. I realized he is making a killing swapping out rims and decided not to pad his pockets.

Looks good! I was thinking about doing the same thing! I got a good deal on winter tires and my stock Michelins were pretty much done so when I was having them dismounted before putting the winter tires on, I'm going to have them powder coat it matte black. I've gotten quotes for $150-175 per wheel. In the end it will cost me about $600 anyways but this way I know my wheels are in good condition with no rash or bends, etc.

I understand this process isn't for everyone, it's like having a gardener, the majority of ppl I'm sure can cut their own grass, you're really paying a gardener for your time. You tell me where your'e going to get OEM powder coated rims for $150 per wheel, the alternative, like I mentioned above.........let's say for arguments sake we went with the lowest quote at $60 per wheel, that's $240 for all 4, NOT including you paying someone to dismount the rims and tires. Then you take the rims to the p.c.'er, wait anywhere from 2-5 business days, get the rims back, then pay someone again to mount the rims and tires. For about $300 more, I did all that in 45 minutes!!!!

Thanks pault72!!!! I think I'm going to leave the chrome caps, I like the contrast and the guy I bought the rims from will be sending me the Tesla logo stickers, that I assume look "chrome" to place on the center caps giving them even more contrast.

I understand this process isn't for everyone, it's like having a gardener, the majority of ppl I'm sure can cut their own grass, you're really paying a gardener for your time. You tell me where your'e going to get OEM powder coated rims for $150 per wheel, the alternative, like I mentioned above.........let's say for arguments sake we went with the lowest quote at $60 per wheel, that's $240 for all 4, NOT including you paying someone to dismount the rims and tires. Then you take the rims to the p.c.'er, wait anywhere from 2-5 business days, get the rims back, then pay someone again to mount the rims and tires. For about $300 more, I did all that in 45 minutes!!!!

Thanks pault72!!!! I think I'm going to leave the chrome caps, I like the contrast and the guy I bought the rims from will be sending me the Tesla logo stickers, that I assume look "chrome" to place on the center caps giving them even more contrast.

I have a quote from a very good detailer for $450.00 out the door and that includes everything and remounting the wheels. i get the peace of mind the rims I am using are the ones that came on my car brand new and not someone else's who may have been jacked up or bent at one time. To each your own and I like the color, but when I saw he showed me the ones on your car I knew that I knew nothing of the rims he is selling me.

I caution everyone to ask about pre-treatment and max temperatures and durations. Go to reputable PCers, not someone with little to no experience. Just read a story about a guy with an F150 who PCed his rims black, and 5 miles down the road, one rim snapped, so he put on the spare, and then 200 miles later the other snapped... all because his wheels were pre-treated at 800F. They should only be sandblasted, and preferably cured between 375-390 for 10 minutes of cure time... The aluminum can soften slightly, but that is not as big of an issue. It's the composition of alloyed metals that you do not know the percentages of to make an educated decision.

You should be fine, just be aware. You can always black gloss paint your rims for $50 a rim, and Cermaic coat it.

I will post pictures of my car once my rims are painted and on.

Enjoy your new wheels!