Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder coating rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering doing this to my 19" double spoke wheels. I have a bit of curb rash on three of them. A local shop quoted me $800 to repair the curb rash and powder coat all four wheels, saying it would take 2-3 days. Considering others in the thread are standing firm at $400 or less, should I consider other options? I imagine doing the curb rash repair would necessitate going over $400 but, is that too much?

Imo, the shops charging $800 just send the wheels to the powder coating shops that charge $400.

Reactions: P100DHG.
That's definitely not true, mine were all sandblasted, and have a very smooth finish.

This shop is concerned with orange peel due to the surface that will be left after the aggressive sand blasting and recommended that we just chem strip the powder coating off.

I've decided to go with another shop (@ $85/per 19" wheel) that sounded more knowledgeable about powder coating. They explained that after sand blasting, they would first apply a primer layer to prevent the orange peel effect. Also, after some reading on this subject, there are other techniques in the power coating process that can be done to avoid the orange peel.

The original shop messed up and aggressively sand blasted instead of doing a light sand blast, giving the factory powder coating a dullness instead of attempting to completely sand blast it off.

So now I am stuck with half sand blasted wheels, time for a drink.

The original shop messed up and aggressively sand blasted instead of doing a light sand blast, giving the factory powder coating a dullness instead of attempting to completely sand blast it off.

So now I am stuck with half sand blasted wheels, time for a drink.

You can strip the powdercoating with Aircraft paint stripper. It works great but it is very messy and precautions need to be taken when using it. Don't let it get on your skin.

You can strip the powdercoating with Aircraft paint stripper. It works great but it is very messy and precautions need to be taken when using it. Don't let it get on your skin.

IMO going thru the trouble and cost of having them stripped is too much work/$ for very little reward.

I got my wheels back and they look great.

IMG_3137.jpg

Reactions: mb44
At first glance it looked like a dead on match. Now that I’ve mounted them it’s clear that they are a gun metal grey where as the original turbines are darker. You can see the difference in the hubcap. Doesn’t bother me the least bit since the lugnut caps are black it looks okay.

The techs at Burbank SC who mounted the tires were really impressed with the quality.

As a quick side note I just had work done on my GMC 3500 Denali (in chrome) from Astro Plating in North Hollywood and their work is amazing. I know people are going the opposite with cars (blacking them out) these days but for a giant lifted truck I think chrome is the way to go. Keeps it from looking too Bro-ish.

F6D2314D-54D3-4419-A163-F1198D363CB2.jpeg
184CBF72-D181-4969-A990-F117CFC65DDC.jpeg
54F31A53-4D95-4F40-B5AF-919181743A14.jpeg

Attachments

• 8B640199-7973-4E24-ADDF-5488C4DDE5E8.jpeg
    8B640199-7973-4E24-ADDF-5488C4DDE5E8.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I had the same treatment done to my car. I was originally quoted $550 CAD (approx $430 USD) for the powder coating but then the shop tells me after the fact that it's an extra $140 for the special Tesla paint. We settled on $650 in the end ($508 USD). In the end, they did a great job and the colour matched the centre caps I bought from Tesla perfectly. I was going to buy the black plastic lug nut caps from my local service centre, but they ended up giving them to me for free.

The caliper painting cost about $230 CAD ($180 USD) and included painting the inner rotors black and adding the reflective white TESLA decals.

Here's a pic of the result:
Wheels-and-Calipers-IMG_0357-small.jpg

I had the same treatment done to my car. I was originally quoted $550 CAD (approx $430 USD) for the powder coating but then the shop tells me after the fact that it's an extra $140 for the special Tesla paint. We settled on $650 in the end ($508 USD). In the end, they did a great job and the colour matched the centre caps I bought from Tesla perfectly. I was going to buy the black plastic lug nut caps from my local service centre, but they ended up giving them to me for free.

The caliper painting cost about $230 CAD ($180 USD) and included painting the inner rotors black and adding the reflective white TESLA decals.

Here's a pic of the result:View attachment 292821

Where did you get this done? Looks great!

• Helpful
Reactions: Mjezzi

Here's a pic of the result:View attachment 292821

Looks amazing!

@Scott_K Thanks. I had it done at Simply Tire in Toronto who outsourced the job to another company - I think it was called Leprecon. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a good experience with them. First there was the issue of the extra $140 they wanted after the job was done, and now, after only two weeks of regular driving, all four wheels have peeling paint to varying degrees (one spot is now the size of a nickel and flakes off very easily). It’s now back in the shop with them to be repainted and hopefully they’ll do it properly this time.

@Scott_K Thanks. I had it done at Simply Tire in Toronto who outsourced the job to another company - I think it was called Leprecon. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a good experience with them. First there was the issue of the extra $140 they wanted after the job was done, and now, after only two weeks of regular driving, all four wheels have peeling paint to varying degrees (one spot is now the size of a nickel and flakes off very easily). It’s now back in the shop with them to be repainted and hopefully they’ll do it properly this time.

so you did not powder coat them? because powder would not peel off....right?

perfect!!! this is exactly what I was looking for.....can you confirm that the powdercoated wheels look exactly like the orginal gray ones?! well it does really look the same on your picture....

At first glance it looked like a dead on match. Now that I’ve mounted them it’s clear that they are a gun metal grey where as the original turbines are darker. You can see the difference in the hubcap. Doesn’t bother me the least bit since the lugnut caps are black it looks okay.