Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys referring this connector under the back of the center console? It is damn hard to disconnect them and I am afraid to break it.
IMG_2311.jpeg

Service center said it is indeed a firmware issue with the power trunk. They want $100 to disconnect the cable for me, of which I will need to comeback and get reconnected once the firmware update has been issued ($200). They are dreaming. Glad I paid $800 to get this installed!!

Reactions: Massive Attack
Service center said it is indeed a firmware issue with the power trunk. They want $100 to disconnect the cable for me, of which I will need to comeback and get reconnected once the firmware update has been issued ($200). They are dreaming. Glad I paid $800 to get this installed!!
when you did the retrofit? isn't it still under 1 year warranty?

are you serious?? it takes a laymen like me 10 min to pop off panel / unhook cable / pop panel back on .. AND it's their hardware causing issue 🤦🏻

Reactions: AS9.9.
+1 to this issue.

Had an auto trunk retrofit 2 weeks ago.
a week later HAVC error vcfront_a447, plus vehicle was not going to sleep and pcs_a022 error. Scheduled an appointment.
last week while I was out on spring break and before the appointment, car was in garage Tesla support remote pushed some update and fixed the HVAC error and called me about it.
Still getting pcs_a022 error and car not sleeping.
Just installing 2024.3.10 right now, hopefully there is a fix
Will open another support ticket if it doesn't
Regretting getting the damn retrofit, also because i keep hitting my head on the trunk, since it is lower. What a waste of $800 and my time.

+1 to this issue.

Had an auto trunk retrofit 2 weeks ago.
a week later HAVC error vcfront_a447, plus vehicle was not going to sleep and pcs_a022 error. Scheduled an appointment.
last week while I was out on spring break and before the appointment, car was in garage Tesla support remote pushed some update and fixed the HVAC error and called me about it.
Still getting pcs_a022 error and car not sleeping.
Just installing 2024.3.10 right now, hopefully there is a fix
Will open another support ticket if it doesn't
Regretting getting the damn retrofit, also because i keep hitting my head on the trunk, since it is lower. What a waste of $800 and my time.
doesn't have update on me yet. Look for your report after 2024.3.10

doesn't have update on me yet. Look for your report after 2024.3.10

Just in case, running 2024.8.7 and this issue is currently present for me and had the retrofit installed for the trunk. I suppose I didn't get 2024.3.10 due to not having FSD.

Also having issues with Sentry Mode now not recognizing my home and shutting off so I had to disable it completely or alternatively if enabled, it crashes and requires a restart of the car to get working again.

Just in case, running 2024.8.7 and this issue is currently present for me and had the retrofit installed for the trunk. I suppose I didn't get 2024.3.10 due to not having FSD.

Also having issues with Sentry Mode now not recognizing my home and shutting off so I had to disable it completely or alternatively if enabled, it crashes and requires a restart of the car to get working again.
ops.....bad news then, I am now on 2024.2.7 and was expecting 2024.8.* could fix the problem....seems not ready then

Not much better with 2024.3.10.

Battery was at 80% with charging complete, just post the install and I did a manual reboot at 9pm last nght.

This morning at 5am, car was at 76% (50F in garage, no sentry mode). The charge port was red with error pcs_a022. So it couldn't auto charge.

I had to leave for the airport, so I left car as is and have opened a service request. Hopefully they can collect some logs and fix this.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
I’m referencing a post I recently made about the powered trunk retrofit causing another issue - in my case an intermittent fault with the HVAC system. I’m wondering if the underlying cause of the OP’s problem with the car staying awake could be the same as my HVAC system fault.
Model 3 powered trunk retrofit causing intermittent cabin climate control system failure
Yeah, I had HVAC issue right after the retrofit but somehow they fixed that by replacing the power trunk control module. PCS_a022 error persists and they do not have a fix. I tried to disconnect the canbus as suggested on this thread and living with that now. I don't mind too much of losing the capability to close the trunk on screen or remotely as I almost never do that anyway.

The SC around Portland always quote high but end up with goodwill. Though with such easy job, I did not even bother to have them send an estimate.

Glad i found this thread. Retrofit done a little over a week ago. Immediately the climate control stopped working after picking up the car. Drove back to service center and they put me in a loaner and before i drive off, i messed with the app climate control and then it started working again so i took the car because I didnt want to pay diagnostic fee. Left the car for the last week at home for vacation and noticed car would not stay sleeping which is how i found this thread after researching. I now have to go go unplug the connector referenced in this thread.

Updates: Last week I left the car plugged in the garage and over 4 days it lost 20% of its charge. It would not auto charge for the most part. It did once it hit 61% while I was gone, so I was ecstatic that Telsa may have fixed it. But when I got home, it is behaving as original - losing charge and charge error, not auto charging/scheduled charging.
Just got back from my appointment with Tesla, the service manager showed me the TSB. Tesla is well aware of this issue; they have many unresolved cases so far. The workaround from Tesla is to disconnect the exactly the same connector.
If you have not opened a service ticket, I would highly urge those to open a ticket/service appt so that Tesla sees the pressure and fixes this. (I work at a software company and # of tickets is a key metric to help prioritize a fix)
The service manager popped off the panel and showed me how to disconnect it, so I may reconnect it when an update is pushed out. There was no charge to me, in and out in 10 mins.
The powered trunk still works using the button, just not from the app. Using the app, it lifts up but doesn't shut.
If you want to DIY here are the pics. It is easy.

Trunk Auto Retro Disconnect.jpg

Last edited:
Updates: Last week I left the car plugged in the garage and over 4 days it lost 20% of its charge. It would not auto charge for the most part. It did once it hit 61% while I was gone, so I was ecstatic that Telsa may have fixed it. But when I got home, it is behaving as original - losing charge and charge error, not auto charging/scheduled charging.
Just got back from my appointment with Tesla, the service manager showed me the TSB. Tesla is well aware of this issue; they have many unresolved cases so far. The workaround from Tesla is to disconnect the exactly the same connector.
If you have not opened a service ticket, I would highly urge those to open a ticket/service appt so that Tesla sees the pressure and fixes this. (I work at a software company and # of tickets is a key metric to help prioritize a fix)
The service manager popped off the panel and showed me how to disconnect it, so I may reconnect it when an update is pushed out. There was no charge to me, in and out in 10 mins.
The powered trunk still works using the button, just not from the app. Using the app, it lifts up but doesn't shut.
If you want to DIY here are the pics. It is easy.
Many have posted that they've done the job themselves but you're the first to show here where the connector is and how to get to it. Thank you!

Really appreciate this thread. I got the retrofit done last year around october and didn't have any issues till near the end of February where the car all of a sudden stopped wanting to sleep. I never saw any of the errors, but I did put in a ticket with Tesla who only told me it was a known firmware issue.
After about a month and a firmware update I got tired of waiting and checked the notifications and found the PCS unable to charge error.
Disconnected the connector and no issues since then.
It's cost me about $100 in extra charging, and I'm mostly upset Tesla didn't give me any info on the issue other than "firmware issue".