Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from @msb175 , can anyone else who as had the retrofit kit installed comment on how long your service appointment took? I've got my install appointment scheduled for 18 November and I'm wanting to set expectations on how long I'll be without a vehicle. Is it truly a couple of days for this work to be completed?

Ask to get a loaner, if you can get one. I needed one.

One rep saw my list and said it would only take an hour (I laughed inside), but he did setup a loner for me. It took them a full Saturday, and half of a Monday, but my list was longer than just the retrofit:

Alignment
Wheel Rotation
Wheel Balancing
Trunk Retrofit

Here is a side view of the trunk. Prior to the retrofit, I think the top of the trunk was perpendicular to the ground. You can see the angle matches my Model Y.

IMG_5859.jpeg

The Height is adjustable have you tried adjusting?

Mine would not push up any higher than what was pictured (well it did an unnoticeable amount). Basically, the height you see in my picture, is my max height.

I don't think this should stop anyone, you can still get in and do everything you need. This wouldn't prevent anyone from doing anything they could do before vs after. For taller people, you just have to watch your head when approaching the open trunk.

Oh so the retrofit can not be adjusted for the height like the OEM ones?
It cannot. I'm able to push mine up just a tad more (no real difference) and hold the button until it beeps. But that does nothing as it opens back to the original height. Mine looks like @JayPaul's. And yes, @terranx's white M3P opening does seem a tad higher than the retrofit. The retrofit definitely opens less than the manual struts.

That said, still worth it for me.

Regarding time in shop, def ask for a loaner if you can get one. i dropped mine off in the wee hours of the morning first thing Monday and it wasn't completed until 5pm Tuesday. CS rep said i could get a loaner after i got updated on timeline Monday afternoon, but to me it was moot and more work to go back to get a loaner.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
It cannot. I'm able to push mine up just a tad more (no real difference) and hold the button until it beeps. But that does nothing as it opens back to the original height. Mine looks like @JayPaul's. And yes, @terranx's white M3P opening does seem a tad higher than the retrofit. The retrofit definitely opens less than the manual struts.

That said, still worth it for me.

Regarding time in shop, def ask for a loaner if you can get one. i dropped mine off in the wee hours of the morning first thing Monday and it wasn't completed until 5pm Tuesday. CS rep said i could get a loaner after i got updated on timeline Monday afternoon, but to me it was moot and more work to go back to get a loaner.
To clarify, it is height adjustable, just that it can be adjusted lower than maximum allowed height (to avoid bumping in low clearance garages for example). If you are trying to force it beyond that it won't do it, except temporarily.

The way you wrote it suggests it is not height adjustable, which is not true.

To clarify, it is height adjustable, just that it can be adjusted lower than maximum allowed height (to avoid bumping in low clearance garages for example). If you are trying to force it beyond that it won't do it, except temporarily.

The way you wrote it suggests it is not height adjustable, which is not true.
Tested out this morning and you are correct. Adjusted height lower and saved via button hold/beep. Next open was to that low height. Set back to highest level and saved again. So it certainly is height adjustable to any level, just doesn't open as wide/high as the manual struts.

I’m a bit late to the party here but very interested in this retrofit for my wife’s 2019 Model 3. I understand it is currently out of stock but, like many others, will be monitoring the site.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before - I didn't have the patience to read the 9 previous pages. Since Tesla doesn’t always implement changes on model year boundaries, is it clear that all Model 3s with a build date in 2019 will be compatible with this retrofit?

I’m a bit late to the party here but very interested in this retrofit for my wife’s 2019 Model 3. I understand it is currently out of stock but, like many others, will be monitoring the site.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before - I didn't have the patience to read the 9 previous pages. Since Tesla doesn’t always implement changes on model year boundaries, is it clear that all Model 3s with a build date in 2019 will be compatible with this retrofit?
Two ways to tell. If you go on your Tesla App->Upgrades->Accessories->Interior then at the bottom, should say Model 3 Powered Trunk Retrofit. If it appears then more than likely your car will support it. Older Model 3 will not have that accessory appear. Another way is to ask your local service advisor.

• Informative
Reactions: spsheridan
Two ways to tell. If you go on your Tesla App->Upgrades->Accessories->Interior then at the bottom, should say Model 3 Powered Trunk Retrofit. If it appears then more than likely your car will support it. Older Model 3 will not have that accessory appear. Another way is to ask your local service advisor.
Thanks! I used your first method and the Trunk Retrofit does appear (although currently not available) in my app so I'm good to go when they come into stock. Is this one of those high-demand accessories that's available only for a very short time and then goes out of stock for weeks/months at a time?

Thanks! I used your first method and the Trunk Retrofit does appear (although currently not available) in my app so I'm good to go when they come into stock. Is this one of those high-demand accessories that's available only for a very short time and then goes out of stock for weeks/months at a time?
I ordered my retrofit kit on the day that I got the notification that they were back in stock (23 October). It was reported as being out of stock again on 26 October so it would seem that either supplies are limited or demand is high. Prior to that, it was out of stock on 15 Sep (1 day after being announced as available) and remained out of stock for just under 6 weeks.

• Helpful
Reactions: spsheridan
I just had mine installed without doing much research as I assumed the height of the trunk would be the same. I regret getting the retrofit now solely because of the shorter height. The manual lift before opened almost 90 degrees, but after the retrofit opens around 70 degrees where you can easily hit your head.

FYI, my height is the same as @JayPaul above. Just my two cents.

Reactions: JayPaul
I just had mine installed without doing much research as I assumed the height of the trunk would be the same. I regret getting the retrofit now solely because of the shorter height. The manual lift before opened almost 90 degrees, but after the retrofit opens around 70 degrees where you can easily hit your head.

FYI, my height is the same as @JayPaul above. Just my two cents.

Sorry you aren't happy. If only it was something that someone could swap with you at cost, there could be 2 happy people (you get your money back, someone else gets the retrofit they want right away)...

To me, being able to remotely open and close the truck is worth it. I just have to bend under the lip to use the truck (I'm 6'2"), it is perfect height for my wife to walk up to at 5'2". It is her car.

I drive the MY, I use the remote open and close feature anytime I'm away from home. By the time I walk up, it is open and ready.

To the folks who have successfully gotten the retrofit installed, would any of you be so kind as to help me satisfy a personal curiosity: Could you pop the panel under your rear air vents and take a few pictures (from different angles) of the wiring harness and adapter that is (allegedly) installed there as part of the kit? Having both far back and close up photos would be especially appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Keep posting your retrofits! I'm hoping to get mine in the next few months (if it's in stock). Does anyone use siri shortcuts to open/close the trunk for groceries?

I don't, even with the power liftgate on my MY. My TM3 is my wife's car, she is not techy enough to care. I am, but I always have my phone out, so it doesn't take any extra time to open the app. I have an extra watch face on my watch that has most of the complications set to these features via watch for Tesla, but I never use it...

Maybe some day...