Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 and Tesla's Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electracity

Jun 8, 2015
I'm putting this post in the investor section because I want to focus on Tesla's strategy. Examining that strategy will require discussing the technology.

Some thoughts:
1) The pricing suggests that Tesla intends to sell a whole lot of this model to achieve economies of scale, or just a few. It seems clear at this point that Tesla didn't try to scale Powerwall 1 production.

2) The inverter and the auto transformer alone would retail from other vendors for $3000+. While the Tesla design may reduce cost somewhat, they are still relying on parts from the same Asian supply chains as inverter competitors.

3) The solar inverter inclusion allows existing solar users to rationalize the powerwall purchase. Tesla has eliminated a sales objection that probably limited the Powerwall 1.

4) The inverter software is the customer interface. Tesla was never going to allow inverter makers like Solaredge and Fronius to front the customer.

5) Will Powerwall 2 be exclusive to Tesla Solar in markets where Tesla/Solarcity sell panels? Will Tesla continue to make the Powerwall 1 for some markets?

6) A good production ramp for the Powerwall ahead of the M3 proves the gigafactory concept. Smart analysts would want information on the Powerwall 2 ramp. I never heard Musk asked once about Powerwall 1 production goals.

At the price point of the Powerwall 2 I don't think Tesla needs any good "synergies" with existing solarcity customers. Most residential solar owners worldwide are early adopter types.