Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Financing Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had the assessment done on my home. Should hear back from their engineers next week with the final bid. The rough estimates would be 2 Powerwall 2’s, a 20kw solar array, with a cost around 40k. You can either lease ($150 per mont in my case) or buy (which you could either pay cash or finance exactly like a car loan). The Key information i found out, is that you can simply start out leasing it ($0 down), then if/when you choose to buy, the $150 you’ve been paying each month will be applied to the total cost. Essentially a lease to own type of agreement. You can do that at any time during the 20 yr lease, and the total cost you signed up for in the beginning doesn’t change.

MY QUESTION IS; are you financing the Powerwalls as well as the solar panels? Or, do you have to buy the Powerwalls, then just lease the panels? It sounded as if it was one lumped in cost (meaning in my case i could get 2 Powerwalls and the 20kw array for $0 down) but i can find info to confirm. I guess i’ll Learn more next week when the engineering plans come in, but if anyone has any info let me know. I’ll update this post when i hear back in case anyone is wondering about a similar situation/info

I do not have first hand experience/info on leasing Solar Panels or Powerwalls, just want to clarify and maybe point out somethings.

If you lease, I think you can NOT claim the 30% Income Tax Credit or the SGIP (for California, about $3-4k Each PW). That is a big chunk of the cost.

It's possible to lease or buy/finance Solar Panel system and/or Powerwalls together or separately, ask your Financing company via your installer.

$40k for 20kW solar system is really good price, @ $2/watt is unheard of recently...pls check to see if this price is because of 30% ITC off. 1 Powerwall now is usually $8K-$10K, installed.

I do not have first hand experience/info on leasing Solar Panels or Powerwalls, just want to clarify and maybe point out somethings.

If you lease, I think you can NOT claim the 30% Income Tax Credit or the SGIP (for California, about $3-4k Each PW). That is a big chunk of the cost.

It's possible to lease or buy/finance Solar Panel system and/or Powerwalls together or separately, ask your Financing company via your installer.

$40k for 20kW solar system is really good price, @ $2/watt is unheard of recently...pls check to see if this price is because of 30% ITC off. 1 Powerwall now is usually $8K-$10K, installed.
Yea i have have similar info. And yes the 40k cost is WITH the ITC discount.I’m jumping the gun a bit here because my final engineering plans/costs will arrive next week and I’ll know much more than. Just kind of poking around here because this forum is so active and helpful. I’ll update when i find out more

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBoRaT