Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2+ "incompatible" with existing powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding 4 more kw to the roof and one new pw+ to my 2 pws, and the advisor said it had to swap to normal pw2 since it was incompatible. Not only did my buddy who is a Tesla energy installer call BS, but even the sales people said it was compatible.

As an EE, id never jump to conclusions on a system I have no schematic on or didnt design, but this reeks of Tesla trying to purge old material before the new is consumed.

He said
The “+” just signifies how its connected to the inverter/gateway and that the Powerwall itself is the same. The latest Powerwall is the Powerwall 2 and that is what you’re getting.

That sounds like a load of crap. What happens in 10 years if my current system breaks? If it needs replacement, no way in hell they design out repair/swapability.

What is likely the case is that the gateway and newer tesla invertor have inherent load balancing capabilities that dont talk when in the same AC circuit.

Thoughts?

The information we have on the powerwall + (not powerwall 2+, its called powerwall +) is in a stickied thread up top. The difference seems to be the fact it can have fewer boxes when installed, but you might want to read through that thread for specifics.

I dont think there is any difference right now between powerwall 2 and powerwall + on the storage side of it at all. With that being said, there are people here who have gotten powerwall+ with powerwall 2 installed, so "not compatible" is confusing to me.

(confusing from a "wtf are they talking about" perspective, not from something you said)

Last edited:
If you have two powerwalls already, then you already have a gateway. The idea of Powerwall+ is to reduce complexity of installation. In your case since you already have a gateway it is easier to install a regular Powerwall and separate Tesla inverter for the new solar.

Powerwall+ can only “control” one other Powerwall with it stacked. So you would still have to keep your gateway to control the other existing Powerwall plus redo the cabling and control of one existing Powerwall to hook it up to the Powerwall+. But then one Powerwall wouldn’t be connected. So use the existing gateway to control all three powerwalls. Remember, the “+” is just a gateway/inverter box stacked on top of a regular Powerwall 2.

Some people on this forum have four powerwalls, two stacks of two with each being controlled by a “head” Powerwall+ unit. But they have all sorts of software issues preventing the two gateways in the two Powerwall+ from working together properly. So best to let Tesla sort out the firmware before going that route too.

If you have two powerwalls already, then you already have a gateway. The idea of Powerwall+ is to reduce complexity of installation. In your case since you already have a gateway it is easier to install a regular Powerwall and separate Tesla inverter for the new solar.

Powerwall+ can only “control” one other Powerwall with it stacked. So you would still have to keep your gateway to control the other existing Powerwall plus redo the cabling and control of one existing Powerwall to hook it up to the Powerwall+. But then one Powerwall wouldn’t be connected. So use the existing gateway to control all three powerwalls. Remember, the “+” is just a gateway/inverter box stacked on top of a regular Powerwall 2.

Some people on this forum have four powerwalls, two stacks of two with each being controlled by a “head” Powerwall+ unit. But they have all sorts of software issues preventing the two gateways in the two Powerwall+ from working together properly. So best to let Tesla sort out the firmware before going that route too.
I have seen pw+ stacked with 2 additional pw2