Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going through the wizard, I mostly left the defaults in place, so as not to screw anything up. However, the installers had chosen the wrong SunPower inverter model, so I fixed that. More importantly, the first two of four CTs were "flipped", meaning that our home energy use and our grid use were wrongly showing up as negative. I unchecked the "flip" option for both, and now the gateway UI and the app appear to be showing the power flows correctly. So, if Tesla Support ends up looking at this, I expect they'll conclude that nothing is wrong. :)
FWIW, Tesla Energy sent a technician to our home this morning to follow up on what they described as a prior "discrepancy" in the data from the Energy Gateway. I explained how I used the wizard to "flip" two of the CTs almost a month ago. He verified that everything is set up correctly and "blessed" the changes that I made. It was nice to have my efforts lauded rather than being scolded for going the DIY route!

Also, I was told by another Tesla rep this morning that they are rolling out access to the Time Based Control feature in batches. They expect that all US customers will have access to this feature before April is out. Granted, the rollout date has already slipped a number of times, but at least we now see other customers gaining access.

Reactions: mongo
Reserved on 3/08, got a call/email from my Tesla "Advisor" on 3/12. I then completed the self inspection on 3/14, and confirmed the order on 3/22. Permit and Interconnect/Utility paperwork was then signed on 4/2. Overall the process has been very fast, perhaps because I'm in Massachusetts or because I did the inspection paperwork myself? The Interconnect paperwork says the install should be done on 5/2 and connected by 6/2, but I'm obviously in interconnect/permit limbo right now before being given a firm install date.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with speed, but the actual information from Tesla Energy has been limited (they obviously have scripted answers to most questions) and I've definitely received more info/help from this forum. For instance, for my install I plan on setting the stacked powerwalls on a concrete slab next to a screen porch. Since the powerwall needs to be connected to a wall, I'll need to construct a false wall behind the powerwall and connect that to the screen porch side rim joist. So far Tesla has not been willing to provide the mounting bracket height from the ground. I have a feeling I'll need to head to the local Tesla showroom with a tape measure to get the actual measurements myself. Oh well, it is a good excuse to see the Model 3 on display. :)

Last edited:
Our install is going a lot slower but we're also trying to install 15+ kW of solar so there's a lot of back and forth with the layout. We had another site survey last week so hopefully we'll have the final design, signed contract and get on the schedule for solar and Powerwall installation soon.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I just received my Tesla install quote. Tesla exceeded my expectations because my home did not require the a "main panel upgrade." Few clicks away from submitting my arduous SGIP application for Step 2. Payback period is perfect now.

[Panel jargon: 200A MLO service panel. 175A NEC load calc. 20A PV. Multiple subpanels. PW floor mount 20' away with obstructions.]
Did you complete the SGIP application yourself? If so could I talk with you about mine? Thanks Mark

Did you complete the SGIP application yourself? If so could I talk with you about mine? Thanks Mark
Yes I did with good success. Next step is installation. (To be relevant to others, waiting since January as I have solar installed already.) Very glad the reservation process is behind me. Send me a private message if you are ready to go into the rabbit hole (think Matrix not Alice in Wonderland).

Joking aside, it is important early on, to decide for yourself if this is worth pursuing. I would recommend getting a firm price quotes from Tesla to determine what the real installation costs are. Contact Tesla for a list of certified-Powerwall installers, and get two quotes from installers on their list. Take your (free-time) hourly rate x 40-80hrs for the reservation application paperwork, and 10hrs for funding application paperwork. Calculate and see what makes economic sense. You'll need a lot of help to get close to the 40hr mark for the application.

Futhermore with SGIP, the risky part is that using Tesla as your installer and you applying as SGIP developer will not solve developer cap conflict. PG&E can construe you as a nobody and state that Tesla is the developer. You then are at risk of losing the reserved funds, and Tesla is at risk of alienating their Tesla SGIP customer base who are at the a hair under the 20% developer cap. There is risk someone is going to get bumped.

Last edited: