Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 calibration in process, what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never heard of this before, but it says my powerwall will not provide power for 24 hours during a calibration. So I will be using the grid only for this 24 hours I guess or not grid only during the day but at night of course it will be grid only.

I wonder how often this is going to happen?

This was never mentioned to me ever by anyone during this process of getting this new system.

IMG_4240.png

The top part about the AC being switched off is part of another section that I accidentally included here. It has nothing to do with this.

Attachments

• IMG_4240.png
    IMG_4240.png
    413.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
This is what is happening and it’s new for Powerwall three I guess and it’s for all Powerwall threes so yeah. I just got off the phone with them and they said yes this is new, the bummer is I won’t have access to the Powerwall for 24 hours.
My understanding is this will happen every 3 months, to maintain the SOC accuracy with the Powerwall 3. The system will discharge to 20%, then hold it for about 2 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_ and BGbreeder
I dont remember anyone posting about this before. Let us know what you find out about it when you contact Tesla to ask them about it.
As you can see what I have posted here, but it’s even worse now while solar is being produced I am still not getting any of it. It’s going into the Powerwall which is not doing anything and I am solely on the grid now… it’s just really not good at all.

My 2 month old PW3 is now saying the same thing. It started overnight at approximately midnight. Now that the sun is up it appears that my panels are charging the Powerwall but the house is drawing all of it's juice from the grid.
View attachment 1052261
Exactly the same here. Is this news to you also? Nobody every said this would happen, per a call to them last night around midnight my time she said it might be a one time thing, but the way it reads on the app it is going to happen routinely.

THANK YOU for answering here, I can now know it is not just me and the reason I thought that is the other day I noticed my drained percentage was not going down like it always did before at the same time at night with the same use, was going down much slower so I called and they created a ticket so I thought maybe this was happening to me because of that, but obviously not..

I've had my PW3s since November and haven't seen this. Was it in an in-app alert?
See response by Don above, I have the same on my app. I saw it only by pulling up the app, the notice was on the home screen. I called Tesla last night and they said this is a brand new thing that she had to look up while I was on hold. Just hoping it goes back to normal soon, supposed to be no more than 24 hours but I don't know how often they're going to do this.

My understanding is this will happen every 3 months, to maintain the SOC accuracy with the Powerwall 3. The system will discharge to 20%, then hold it for about 2 hours.
Thanks for responding...I guess the PW controls everything so during this 24 hrs we are relying solely on the grid. I am and the other person here screenshot shows they are also. Oh well...

BTW mine has been doing this since 10:00 pm or so last night or now about 10 hours and the PW was at 54% when it started and it is now 58% so it did not drain. I should add that I looked at it throughout the night so I know it did not drain.

Last edited:
I also got my PW3 in March. Just woke up and noticed the same thing in the app. Drawing about 1.5kw max from max from panel to PW3 to the home. Was lower this morning. Never got an in-app notification.
Mine and Don's above are NOT getting any of the solar into the house, it is all going into the PW. See his screenshot above, is yours doing something different? Are you getting solar benefit to the house? Please look at Don's screenshot to see what I mean and compare to yours. THANKS!

Mine and Don's above are NOT getting any of the solar into the house, it is all going into the PW. See his screenshot above, is yours doing something different? Are you getting solar benefit to the house? Please look at Don's screenshot to see what I mean and compare to yours. THANKS!
You’re right, sorry. No power to the house, drawing all from grid. Very frustrating…

Reactions: LiBeRtAs
As you can see what I have posted here, but it’s even worse now while solar is being produced I am still not getting any of it. It’s going into the Powerwall which is not doing anything and I am solely on the grid now… it’s just really not good at all.

Your house would have used the power from your powerwalls to drain itself, and if the solar is filling your powerwalls right now, that means you are getting solar. Unless your home is on a time of use plan, and right now is your peak usage time, filling the powerwalls with your solar is what the solar is supposed to do.

Your house would have used the power from your powerwalls to drain itself, and if the solar is filling your powerwalls right now, that means you are getting solar. Unless your home is on a time of use plan, and right now is your peak usage time, filling the powerwalls with your solar is what the solar is supposed to do.
I am on self powered and I am getting only from the grid right now as this process goes on…I don’t know how else to explain it, but I’ve always been self powered because I’m still waiting for permission to operate export, etc. so I am definitely now 100% on the grid where as the past five weeks I have been 100% self powered.

Look at Don’s screenshot above, like myself he has plenty of powerwall, but all of his power is coming from the grid.

Please don’t misinterpret this to be me arguing with you. I am not doing that at all. I am trying to learn, but while the powerwall is being filled by the solar production it’s still not going to the house during this calibration… I am 100% relying on the grid as is DON above and I have been since 10 PM yesterday.

For instance, I have been self powered the entire time I’ve had this system operating and in that five weeks I would say I have been billed for about 3 kWh for that five weeks, total.

Also looking at today only since this started, I have used 3 kWh I have generated 3 kWh and I have imported 2.7 kWh from the grid so yes, I am relying almost entirely now on the grid during this process.

Last edited:
I am on self powered and I am getting only from the grid right now as this process goes on…I don’t know how else to explain it, but I’ve always been self powered because I’m still waiting for permission to operate export, etc. so I am definitely now 100% on the grid where as the past five weeks I have been 100% self powered.

Look at Don’s screenshot above, like myself he has plenty of powerwall, but all of his power is coming from the grid.

Please don’t misinterpret this to be me arguing with you. I am not doing that at all. I am trying to learn, but while the powerwall is being filled by the solar production it’s still not going to the house during this calibration… I am 100% relying on the grid as is DON above and I have been since 10 PM yesterday.

For instance, I have been self powered the entire time I’ve had this system operating and in that five weeks I would say I have been billed for about 3 kWh for that five weeks, total.

Also looking at today only since this started, I have used 3 kWh I have generated 3 kWh and I have imported 2.7 kWh from the grid so yes, I am relying almost entirely now on the grid during this process.
It seems that all of that is likely related to the whole calibration process. Since it was mentioned that it could take up to 24 hours, it sounds like it would be good to check around that time frame and see how things are going then or the next day basically to see if they are back to what they've usually been.

Reactions: LiBeRtAs
It seems that all of that is likely related to the whole calibration process. Since it was mentioned that it could take up to 24 hours, it sounds like it would be good to check around that time frame and see how things are going then or the next day basically to see if they are back to what they've usually been.
It is just that it came from nowhere, no warning from the project advisor or anyone during the process. Once every 3 months wont be terrible but hopefully not more than that. Thanks!