Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall home integration request…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Tesla,

please add support to PowerWalls to be a sensor for either/both Google Home/HomeKit.

I would like this so that when Powerwall is "off grid" it would trigger a sensor message so I can turn other HomeKit devices/appliance "off". I am _NOT_ requesting command/control - simple that Powerwall can be added to my HomeKit as a virtual sensor device so I can have automated tasks that are triggered by off-grid events or maybe "% charge left" events.

thank you for your time and consideration.

Reactions: Ampster
I do this with my HomeSeer home automation and it's fantastic. During an outage the system shuts down non-essential items, updates my status screens, and notifies me via email when things are happening.

I'm guessing it's not simple for Tesla to build and support this, your best bet is likely to look at a 3rd party plugin or roll your own via the local Powerwall APIs (I did the latter).

Dear Tesla,

please add support to PowerWalls to be a sensor for either/both Google Home/HomeKit.

I would like this so that when Powerwall is "off grid" it would trigger a sensor message so I can turn other HomeKit devices/appliance "off". I am _NOT_ requesting command/control - simple that Powerwall can be added to my HomeKit as a virtual sensor device so I can have automated tasks that are triggered by off-grid events or maybe "% charge left" events.

thank you for your time and consideration.

Please be aware that TMC is an independent community forum, unrelated to Tesla, Inc. While some Tesla employees do read various TMC forums (and I have first-hand experience with this), there's no guarantee that any Tesla representative will read your post.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Reactions: dortor4ev
What are you using to let the HomeSeer system know that the grid is down?

I wrote a Homeseer plugin that creates an HS device that is updated through the local TEG API that vloschiavo documented at vloschiavo/powerwall2. I have a beta available but was waiting for the new version of Homeseer to be released (which looks like it has been delayed).

Attachments

• Homeseer Powerwall plugin.png
    Homeseer Powerwall plugin.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 102
I wrote a Homeseer plugin that creates an HS device that is updated through the local TEG API that vloschiavo documented at vloschiavo/powerwall2. I have a beta available but was waiting for the new version of Homeseer to be released (which looks like it has been delayed).
Got it. I am dabbling at an actually sensor for the grid side to determine if it is active, and then turn off the HVAC stuff.

This may be an alternative but my API access is spotty because of some networking issues.

Still a WIP and I am way early in the process.

Got it. I am dabbling at an actually sensor for the grid side to determine if it is active, and then turn off the HVAC stuff.

This may be an alternative but my API access is spotty because of some networking issues.

Still a WIP and I am way early in the process.

I ended up running ethernet out to the TEG because of how crummy the wifi connection was (even though the solar gateway is literally next to the TEG and has no problems connecting to wifi). Now it runs like a champ.

@bmah thank I know the chance is light Tesla will read this - but it was more a post of ‘information’ and frustration - I also highly doubt Tesla will prioritize this feature, however I’d like to be able to intgrate scripts into my home automation so that I shutdown my floor heaters and some lights/appliciance when we are “off grid” - the floor heaters are of particular interest as they could drain my entire powerwall backup in about 8 hours…i.e. over night while I’m asleep and wouldn’t realize we’re offline

There is a third party app that supports Samsung Smartthings. Check out the following link:

Tesla Powerwall Manager app for SmartThings (and Hubitat) Hubs - DarwinsDen.com

The app does do scheduling, notifications, and turn off/on devices. Recently there is Hubitat Elevation Home Automation hub support. Though I have not tried, it may be possible to integrate Google Home notification via IFTTT.

Although the app via Smartthings does integrate the Powerwall with Google Home, it shows up as a "switch".
Screenshot_20200422-132711_Home.jpg