Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall install costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set up an order for a single power wall with a pre-existing solar system, and they came back with a $3500 install price, which seems a bit high. My solar system had to be far more labor intensive and the labor was less than half of that. They're probably just going to install the power wall on the same wall as my power meter, so I doubt they'll need much in the way of materials.

Also another thing, they're charging $820 in sales tax, which isn't even applicable according to Arizona law since it is being used with the solar system.

All of my meters and other stuff are very new, so I highly doubt anything needs to be replaced. Did somebody there just spend two seconds writing up a quote and just throw a standard set of numbers at me or something? I sent an email to Tesla asking about this and there's no response, I'm thinking of just cancelling.

I set up an order for a single power wall with a pre-existing solar system, and they came back with a $3500 install price, which seems a bit high. My solar system had to be far more labor intensive and the labor was less than half of that. They're probably just going to install the power wall on the same wall as my power meter, so I doubt they'll need much in the way of materials.

Also another thing, they're charging $820 in sales tax, which isn't even applicable according to Arizona law since it is being used with the solar system.

All of my meters and other stuff are very new, so I highly doubt anything needs to be replaced. Did somebody there just spend two seconds writing up a quote and just throw a standard set of numbers at me or something? I sent an email to Tesla asking about this and there's no response, I'm thinking of just cancelling.

Tesla has standard charges for labor for what they count as "basic" powerwall install, and that number was 3000 for 1 and 2500 for two, at least until just before covid 19 made all the shelter in place orders.

Regardless of "how much work" it is, they have their basic charge and thats what they charge.... saying that, 3500 isnt the basic charge. I suspect you are lumping the 3k install charge in with the 500 permitting charge they also charge as a flat fee, and calling that an "installation" charge.

TL ; DR, they are not going to lower the cost of installing a Powerwall from 3k for 1, along with 500 for permitting, for adding to your existing system. They charge flat fees for regular installs, and the costs go up from there not down. You can try a third party installer but will likely find that the costs are similar or higher.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I'd also add that with a one-Powerwall system they are assuming that they'll need to move critical loads to a new backup panel for a partial backup. I believe installing two Powerwalls is actually cheaper by $500 than installing one because two can generally support a whole-home backup..

Reactions: X-pilot
I'd also add that with a one-Powerwall system they are assuming that they'll need to move critical loads to a new backup panel for a partial backup. I believe installing two Powerwalls is actually cheaper by $500 than installing one because two can generally support a whole-home backup..

I believe thats what they explained to me when I asked "is it really 3,000 for install for one powerwall, and 2,500 for install for 2? your explanation was the response, and I got 2 powerwalls... and still got a backup loads panel with everything except for one item moved to it (my 60 amp car charger circuit, which I did not want moved to the backup loads panel).

Between the maximum load (5kW) per PW and the minimum amount you consume each day, that kind of sets how many PWs you need.

One of the other generally sets the number of PWs needed. I have a hard time coming up with too many scenarios were one is enough.

Even if you only need 500 w/hr an AC unit, oven, drier or some other large load device is going to be the limiter, and we are not even talking about start loads.

The 3500 new install cost is still cheap compared to local installers in SoCal... I've been quoted between 5k and 15k to install one, without any equipment.

With the upcoming potential battery changes, it will be interesting to see what Tesla will be offering next year.

If you are unfortunate enough to be in a safety power shutdown area or have a bad storm that takes linemen a day or more to get the equipment back in service, you will probably feel it was all worth it. ;) Especially if it’s hot outside and you lose your AC and everything in your refrig/freezer and are still WFH. Or suppose if its winter and a snow storm knocks out power and you’d be otherwise freezing inside your home. I know Long Island NY has been hit with some bad winter storms and a friend lost power for a few days during one of them. No fun being cold and/or having pipes freeze.

BTW if you are thinking about maybe adding another PW down the road, if you can swing it, in the end its cheaper to do it all at one time than having them come back out. Otherwise that means another permit gets pulled with more design work for the permit and full installation cost as another team gets scheduled. When we upped from 2 to 3 at end of March there was also a pretty good break on adding a third PW.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and jboy210
If you are unfortunate enough to be in a safety power shutdown area or have a bad storm that takes linemen a day or more to get the equipment back in service, you will probably feel it was all worth it. ;) Especially if it’s hot outside and you lose your AC and everything in your refrig/freezer and are still WFH. Or suppose if its winter and a snow storm knocks out power and you’d be otherwise freezing inside your home. I know Long Island NY has been hit with some bad winter storms and a friend lost power for a few days during one of them. No fun being cold and/or having pipes freeze.

BTW if you are thinking about maybe adding another PW down the road, if you can swing it, in the end its cheaper to do it all at one time than having them come back out. Otherwise that means another permit gets pulled with more design work for the permit and full installation cost as another team gets scheduled. When we upped from 2 to 3 at end of March there was also a pretty good break on adding a third PW.

The Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS) are exactly why we got 2 powerwalls. Last year we had 4 days without power in 2 separate incidents a few weeks apart. I never want to repeat that again.

I have one on the way on a Large system. Started with 2 in mind, but decided to back down given my personal estimates. I suspect if one isnt' enough after using the system, I can add more with hopefully low incremental installation cost.
With only one Powerwall and a Large Tesla solar installation, they will have to divide the solar production between the grid side and the backup side and set up a critical loads panel. If you later go to 2 or 3 Powerwalls, it will be a big deal to put everything back together on the backup side of the Tesla Gateway. The installation cost of subsequent Powerwalls will not be "incremental".

I have one on the way on a Large system. Started with 2 in mind, but decided to back down given my personal estimates. I suspect if one isnt' enough after using the system, I can add more with hopefully low incremental installation cost.

You can add another one, certainly, but it wont be "low incremental installation cost". It will be more than it would be to order it now. If its tesla that is installing it, they will likely charge you the same thing it would be to install one power wall normally, with their "standardized pricing structure".

I just received my quote from Tesla to add 2 Powerwalls to my existing solar system In El Dorado Hills (Sacramento) Area. Tesla was $8000 less than 2 other Authorized Tesla installers. $13K for 2 Powerwalls, $1k Backup Gateway and $3K install. Now if they can get them installed before we have another Fire Danger shutdown.

I just received my quote from Tesla to add 2 Powerwalls to my existing solar system In El Dorado Hills (Sacramento) Area. Tesla was $8000 less than 2 other Authorized Tesla installers. $13K for 2 Powerwalls, $1k Backup Gateway and $3K install. Now if they can get them installed before we have another Fire Danger shutdown.
The total for tesla to install 2 powerwalls to existing solar in southern california works out to be like 18,2XX.XX all in, after taxes, but not counting any tax credit etc. The reason for the slight ambiguity is the taxes depend on your local tax rate, which is different in different parts of So Cal.

Laalan, I only signed up on July 6. How long after you submitted your Power Bill and pictures did it take for them to get back to you? Have they actually started your permit process. So far I only have a checkmark on the Home Assessment and a black dot on the Confirm Order and Utility bill uploaded.

I hope it works out for you. We signed up for SolarRoof AND POWERWALLS in November when the 4 days of PSPS were fresh in our minds. They are now installed and perform well. Since they have 40% left in the morning they charge to 100% by noon.

I know it is not cool, but I am kind of looking forward to the next PSPS:rolleyes:.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
I]
I know it is not cool, but I am kind of looking forward to the next PSPS:rolleyes:.

On July 2nd of this year ( a few days ago ), my wife was playing video games, and I was in the kitchen preparing ribs to marinate for cooking on the 4th. We heard a "click" (which was the UPS I put on my fairly expensive AV equipment clicking on to provide power). She looked at me, I looked at her, she said "is the power out?" (all lights on, no other indication other than that "click").

I grabbed my phone, opened the tesla app, and looked. Sure enough, the grid was off. For those that do not have this yet but are reading it, when you have no grid, there is a red "X" through it in the tesla app, and the border of the app screen looks different.

I told her "yes, no grid, we are on backup power atm". It was during the day, batteries were filling up, solar on, etc. She said "whoo hoo!!!" and came and high five'ed me, lol...

Power was only out for like 3-4 minutes, but yeah, I was extremely satisfied in that specific moment.

Power was only out for like 3-4 minutes, but yeah, I was extremely satisfied in that specific moment.
It's definitely cool to just be able to shrug off these outages. One note - it appears that with any grid interruption, Tesla waits 5 minutes before attempting to re-enable grid power. So it is possible you experienced an outage that long, but even a brief flicker can cause the gateway to isolate you from the grid for those 5 minutes.

Reactions: jjrandorin