Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

powerwall install, NEM2 vs NEM1 & rate EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious how it worked out for you?

well my install got bumped from early december to early february so nothing has happened.

however i did ask my rep to regenerate the paperwork under NEM1, and she did that, and i signed it. whether or not PGE accepts that is an open question but i got the feeling that this particular rep has applied under NEM1 and NEM2 and it's sort of the customer's choice.

well my install got bumped from early december to early february so nothing has happened.

however i did ask my rep to regenerate the paperwork under NEM1, and she did that, and i signed it. whether or not PGE accepts that is an open question but i got the feeling that this particular rep has applied under NEM1 and NEM2 and it's sort of the customer's choice.

Just a heads up. Even though I applied under NEM1, when I got my first billing, PGE kicked me over to NEM2. Spent an hour talking to rep and manager before getting it resolved (back to NEM1).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a 16kW SolarCity system installed in 2013. I was on EV-A and NEM1 until November 2019, when the clock caught up with me. I was switched off of EV-A, but still on NEM1. The new EV2-A plan is anathema. Best now for me is a TOU plan which I was switched to. I have 2 Powerwalls coming next Wednesday. AFAIK I will be able to stay on NEM1 (not adding any solar)...NEM lasts like 20-25 years so it will eventually run out. I am told that there is no way I can 'requalify' for EV-A after my PWs are installed.

I have a 16kW SolarCity system installed in 2013. I was on EV-A and NEM1 until November 2019, when the clock caught up with me. I was switched off of EV-A, but still on NEM1. The new EV2-A plan is anathema. Best now for me is a TOU plan which I was switched to. I have 2 Powerwalls coming next Wednesday. AFAIK I will be able to stay on NEM1 (not adding any solar)...NEM lasts like 20-25 years so it will eventually run out. I am told that there is no way I can 'requalify' for EV-A after my PWs are installed.
NEM 1 is good for 20 annual true-ups. Then you have to take whatever they are offering at that time.

Question for those with PWs and PGE, are you able to monitor daily usage directly from the PGE site under “Energy Use Details” tab?
I am on PG&E and have a hybrid inverter similar to a Powerwall. I can only see my NET usage and generation but there are delays on the PG&E site. I rely on real time monitoring from my Inverters and other devices for more timely data.

@zanary and @amsper... thanks. Just checking since we no longer see that data on the site, making sure that’s normal.
Here is what I noticed.

(1) Normal house holds without PV or battery = They see all consumption
(2) Households with just batteries = They see all consumption
(3) Households with PV and batteries = They don't see details, but I'm hoping once I get my NGOM installed, I may see details, but I'm thinking that is wishful thinking.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
Question for those with PWs and PGE, are you able to monitor daily usage directly from the PGE site under “Energy Use Details” tab?
Ever since I got my Powerwall PTO in April 2018, the charts provided by Opower don't show anything. My electric usage in those charts stops at my PTO cutoff date. However, I can download the data with the Green Button. Gas usage still works in Opower.

• Helpful
I can see everything (2 PW + PV). The PG&E data is rounded to the nearest kWh and occasionally its off by 1 kWh but close enough. It's not billing data so probably some bugs in the rounding algorithm.

And BTW I don't have a current PTO for the PWs but doubt this makes any difference. I do have them for the PV.

I can see everything (2 PW + PV). The PG&E data is rounded to the nearest kWh and occasionally its off by 1 kWh but close enough. It's not billing data so probably some bugs in the rounding algorithm.

And BTW I don't have a current PTO for the PWs but doubt this makes any difference. I do have them for the PV.
I could be wrong, but once your PTO comes in, you will loose all that visibility from the PG&E site in terms of the visuals.

I can confirm as well that after PTO the energy usage details are no longer updating. I think the issue is that PG&E's backend systems aren't set up to fully handle the combined solar/battery rate plan that they put you on after PTO. The billing also gets weird - they give you the normal bill with a lot less information but also give you a detailed bill that contains so many line items it's almost unintelligible.

I can confirm as well that after PTO the energy usage details are no longer updating. I think the issue is that PG&E's backend systems aren't set up to fully handle the combined solar/battery rate plan that they put you on after PTO. The billing also gets weird - they give you the normal bill with a lot less information but also give you a detailed bill that contains so many line items it's almost unintelligible.
If you're on a CCA, the black and white bill goes to another level of unintelligible.

• Funny