Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall switch during outage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been the year of power outage, I have questions regarding power wall behavior during. In the past few months I have had couple of power outrages but the last 2 times, when the system switch over to power wall, number of my electronics required reset (power cycle) either by disconnecting them from the power or by the circuit breaker. So far I have noticed that my furnace (Trane), Rachio v3 and Oven would required that. I can deal with most, but the furnace is the one that I really would like to not have to do, as if we are out for few days when it happened, I can't keep the house warm/cool as I have no connection with it. I was thinking to add UPS, but the furnace is in the attic and I doubt the UPS would like 100F+ temp in the summer. Any one experience something like that or were able to find mitigation for it?

A local UPS is the only solution I am aware of. You will not be able to predict or control whether any power swap over is "seamless" or not, because it depends on the state of your power delivery and usage at the time power goes out, and also how cleanly power goes out.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeremy3292
A local UPS is the only solution I am aware of. You will not be able to predict or control whether any power swap over is "seamless" or not, because it depends on the state of your power delivery and usage at the time power goes out, and also how cleanly power goes out.
Yeah, I was wondering if was just surge issue in which case I can install whole house surge protector, like if it takes longer to switch might actually be better, as it is clear disconnect. Would be awesome to find out what is causing it.

Yeah, I was wondering if was just surge issue in which case I can install whole house surge protector, like if it takes longer to switch might actually be better, as it is clear disconnect. Would be awesome to find out what is causing it.
Very few devices are equipped to take action in case of a surge, besides burningup, of course.

More likely is that they can't take the short power drop during the grid failure and switch over. You might see if Trane has an internal battery backup option, as it would only have to carry the electronics, not the motor.

The cause could be a wide variety of things, and you probably would need a logging power quality monitor ($$$) to find it. Unless you have some other reason to think that your system is out of specification (bad neutral, weird ground levels, etc.), actually trying to nail down a cause is rarely simple or cheap, but asking a good electrician to look things over may be money well spent.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: aesculus