Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Warranty problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
big problem.

A Tesla rep just told me that anyone who uses the local Web UI to change anything via the installer/user reset account will void the warranty on the battery. This includes even changing wifi/internet settings. I’ve been using it to change the charge reserve, as my app won’t apply the changes when compared to the Web UI. Anyone else have this issue, or is the rep wrong??

If you're after a giggle, call them back, get them to repeat the claim and then ask them if they're familiar with the ACL. I have a much longer answer, but that's for when it's actually needed. (TLDR; rep wrong).
You're talking about Aus Consumer Law, right? Does it state anywhere in the Tesla warranty that I can't access the web interface? the Rep certainly didn't seem impressed. I mean, after all. It's my property. And if Tesla's going to make it ridiculously easy to reset the Gateway UI password, then I'm going to continue to use it.

big problem.

A Tesla rep just told me that anyone who uses the local Web UI to change anything via the installer/user reset account will void the warranty on the battery. This includes even changing wifi/internet settings. I’ve been using it to change the charge reserve, as my app won’t apply the changes when compared to the Web UI. Anyone else have this issue, or is the rep wrong??
How long to do you wait when using the app? I think it only checks for changes once an hour, so it can take up to an hour for the change to take effect.

How long to do you wait when using the app? I think it only checks for changes once an hour, so it can take up to an hour for the change to take effect.

Sometimes, for example, it can take as long as 2-3 hours to take effect.

When I've changed the battery reserve in the app, 2-3 hours later It will not show up in the web UI. There's around a 15-20% difference. I rang tesla about this, and they've put me up to level 2 support.

Sometimes, for example, it can take as long as 2-3 hours to take effect.

When I've changed the battery reserve in the app, 2-3 hours later It will not show up in the web UI. There's around a 15-20% difference. I rang tesla about this, and they've put me up to level 2 support.
Yeah, that is way too long. I don't think I've seen it take that long on mine but I haven't watched too closely recently. It would be nice if you could set the polling frequency to be more often, such as every 15 minutes.

• Love
Reactions: Dom_t
Yep !

When I rang tesla, they reiterated that accessing the installer Web UI would void my 10-year warranty. In which I stated that nowhere in writing on the warranty does it specify this. The rep said "It's just a common known thing not to go playing around with it"

Of course, you'd use common sense not to go editing the voltages and CT claps, but I've only used it for battery reserve/wifi settings.

This has to be a joke. I've read the warranty over and over

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Of course the warranty doesn't mention not using the Web UI. Here's the documentation on their website giving instructions on how to do so: Monitoring from your Home Network | Tesla

The Powerwall support reps, in general, seem to be pretty willing to exaggerate and jump to conclusions in order to get off the phone. My experience calling them has been pretty negative so far.

Agreed. My experience has been somewhat similar. Out of the 5 calls I've made this year, 2-3 were pretty positive. I do agree that they want to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. Almost like they're upset that you might know more about a particular issue, and they know you're just there for the diagnostic information.

big problem.

I don't see how this claim could stand up, given the absence of anything about it in the warranty documentation. Further I think the claims puts Tesla in breach of section 29(1)(m) of the Australian Consumer Law, which prohibits making a "false or misleading representation concerning the existence, exclusion or effect of any condition, warranty, guarantee, right or remedy"

Telsa could suffer a financial penalty for this. Might be worth raising with either the ACCC, or your state's fair trading office (however named).

I don't see how this claim could stand up, given the absence of anything about it in the warranty documentation. Further I think the claims puts Tesla in breach of section 29(1)(m) of the Australian Consumer Law, which prohibits making a "false or misleading representation concerning the existence, exclusion or effect of any condition, warranty, guarantee, right or remedy"

Telsa could suffer a financial penalty for this. Might be worth raising with either the ACCC, or your state's fair trading office (however named).

Very Interesting comment.

as you said there's nothing physically written in the warranty that prevents me from accessing the web UI.

Probably not just generating alerts, as that uses an API that is available without login, but actually controlling the Powerwalls’ settings such as mode and backup reserve.

I’m not too concerned because California laws generally protect consumers in such cases. It’s only if damage was actually caused by using the API that the company would be allowed to void the warranty.