Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Ceramic Coating with Zoldani Auto Salon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
I tend to keep my cars for a long time so wanted to ensure the Tesla paintwork didn't deteriorate like I'd seen in many model 3 posts. Living in Scotland with salty roads and not having a garage I wanted to try paint protection film to protect the front and lower parts of the car from stone chips, peeling paint and corrosion.

Thanks to this forum it was recommended to find someone who was accredited for Xpel (PPF) and Gtechniq (Ceramic Coating) thus providing a warranty for their work. Luckily for me, the only place with these accreditation's in my county was less than a 5 minute drive away. After checking online reviews and asking in this forum I booked in with Zoldani Auto Salon in Dunfermline.

Their premises are really nice, all the tech for doing a proper job, great lighting, Xpel printer, drive on ramps and the temperature is maintained 24/7. They were also well prepared for contactless delivery and collection, communication was excellent throughout and I was kept up to date with pictures via Whatsapp and calls whenever there was an option during the process. Zoldani is run by Barry Horne who drove in the Porsche Supercup and British Touring Car Championships. He knows his cars and has a great collection of classics on site as well as an impeccable GT3 RS.

Here's the completed result, sat on my driveway, with my amateur photography skills:

2020-04-18 17_37_17-20200417_124332.png

20200417_124341.jpg

In terms of the work carried out:

1. Assessment of car, quality of paintwork
  2. Full decontamination and clay bar
  3. Light machine polish to eliminate any light scratches and to cleanse the paint
  4. Alcohol clean then application of Xpel Paint Protection Film (Front bumper, bonnet, front wings, A Pillars, Side Sills and rear bumper)
  5. Gtechniq 'Halo' flexible ceramic coating on PPF & Gtechniq CSL ceramic coating with a top coat of Gtechniq EXO applied to the rest of the bodywork
  6. Glass coated with Gtechniq G1
  7. Interior protected with Gtechniq i1 smart fabric
Additionally they removed the number plate holders and replaced with a vinyl stick on plate for the front and attached the rear plate directly to the car with some 3M.

Few more images:

PPF being installed on the bonnet

PPF Bonnet.jpeg

Incredible reflection post ceramic coating during curing process

Reflection 4.jpeg

Interior with Gtechniq i1 smart fabric applied

2020-04-18 16.45.42.jpg

I've got loads more pictures available but think that's probably enough for this thread!

The car looks even better in person and I'm comforted that it's now protected. I'll be back for a 'check up' in around a month so that they can assess that all the products have settled properly. I'll probably also get a de-chrome done then as there was a White LR Model 3 in there that looked great with Satin Black.

I've no affiliation with Zoldani, just want to highlight that they've done an amazing job and wouldn't hesitate to recommend if you're looking for somewhere in Scotland for PPF, Ceramic, Dechrome or tints.

Zoldani

Also, I found this thread on TMC:

XPEL Stealth Washing/Care

Seems the good people at Xpel will send you a complimentary 'swag bag' if you post a picture of your car that uses one of their products. I've posted and received confirmation that my swag is on the way :)

How do you go about sorting that?
To save searching (although you still need to post in that thread)

Thank you for choosing XPEL STEALTH to protect your Model 3! Once it's done post photos here and as a thank you we will send out an XPEL Swag and Maintenance Pack complete with a bottle of our Detail Spray and Ceramic Boost Spray. Just shoot us an email ([email protected]) with your t-shirt size and shipping information once you post the photos. **This offer goes to ANYONE on this thread with XPEL PPF installed on their Tesla. In the email be sure to mention the post # you mention your XPEL experience and we can get the order on the way to you.**

Reactions: Durzel and MrBadger
Out of curiosity how did they get the badge back on the car if they PPF'd the bonnet?
By the time I'd requested doing the full bonnet the film had already been printed from the template. As @dakaix states, the xpel template automatically includes the cut out.

I can't see the gap from looking at it and was assured the film wouldn't peel around this area. If it does the warranty should cover it.

Reactions: Durzel
Looks great !
What sort of ££s and how long from drop off to pick up ?
It was around £1800 ex vat. I got a quote broken per panel which depending on the amount of work you require they can probably do a deal on:

1. Bumper £350
2. Bonnet £575
3. Side sills £260
4. Rear Fender & Door Kit £1500
5. Boot £350
6. Bumper £300
7. Roof kit £200
8. A-Pillars £110

Ceramic from £400
Dechrome from £400

Took 4 days to complete. They're looking into arranging collection and delivery from home addresses though which may be useful for those outwith Dunfermline.

It was around £1800 ex vat. I got a quote broken per panel which depending on the amount of work you require they can probably do a deal on:

1. Bumper £350
2. Bonnet £575
3. Side sills £260
4. Rear Fender & Door Kit £1500
5. Boot £350
6. Bumper £300
7. Roof kit £200
8. A-Pillars £110

Ceramic from £400
Dechrome from £400

Took 4 days to complete. They're looking into arranging collection and delivery from home addresses though which may be useful for those outwith Dunfermline.

what is 4. ? (I count 2 bumpers already - hope it's £150)

Great use of the word outwith - confuses those softer fairer southern sort especially when they think you mean without

what is 4. ? (I count 2 bumpers already - hope it's £150)

Great use of the word outwith - confuses those softer fairer southern sort especially when they think you mean without
4 is above the rear arches and around the charge port area. It wasn't a typo though, guess its a lot of film and fiddly around the door handles. I didn't go for that.

Reactions: DaddyCool
Got my car back last night from zoldani's. Really impressed by the results, cannot recommand them highly enough had a chat with barry(the owner) how spent time to explain what they did and how to keep it looking good in the fature.
well try to attach some photos later.

Reactions: Medved_77
I'm hoping to place an order for a model 3 in January and this is something I am going to be doing, been going back and forwards on what kind of protection to get, whether to get a white car and just have it wrapped, but I think what you've done is the best option for me! Looks beautiful too.

Reactions: Medved_77