Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ppf bubble question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, recently had xpel placed on my rockers. Already had one trip back to address some bubbles. Yesterday after I washed my car, I saw these additional bubbles. Installer, while nice enough, doesn’t seem interested in addressing these. I’m trying to be reasonable. Biggest concern is that they get worse or peel since they are right on the edge. Should I press or leave it be? Thanks.

Attachments

• 03EE5BA9-CFC8-487C-A736-D8A7E3CEC764.jpeg
    03EE5BA9-CFC8-487C-A736-D8A7E3CEC764.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 451
I personally would not like having those bubbles. There is a change they may go away after a few days. I would tell the installer that you will wait to see if the bubbles go away in a few days and, if they do not, you would ask him to fix or replace that piece of PPF. Was the installer an authorized Xpel installer? If so, it should come with Xpel's excellent 10-year warranty:

If the installer tries to brush you off, I would contact Xpel customer service and ask them if this is considered an acceptable installation or not. I do believe Xpel stands behind their products, so they will be helpful even if the installer is not.

Reactions: Phlier
I personally would not like having those bubbles. There is a change they may go away after a few days. I would tell the installer that you will wait to see if the bubbles go away in a few days and, if they do not, you would ask him to fix or replace that piece of PPF. Was the installer an authorized Xpel installer? If so, it should come with Xpel's excellent 10-year warranty:

If the installer tries to brush you off, I would contact Xpel customer service and ask them if this is considered an acceptable installation or not. I do believe Xpel stands behind their products, so they will be helpful even if the installer is not.
Thanks. The film has been on for a month so they probably aren’t going to go away unless they occurred from the car wash which was very gentle. I get the impression he is tired of me since I already went back with one set of bubbles but he obviously just missed these. Yes authorized xpel installer.

Thanks. The film has been on for a month so they probably aren’t going to go away unless they occurred from the car wash which was very gentle. I get the impression he is tired of me since I already went back with one set of bubbles but he obviously just missed these. Yes authorized xpel installer.
A gentle car wash should not induce bubbles like that. IMO, you are the customer and you deserve to have PPF installed consistent with professional and industry standards. I would respectfully but directly tell the installer that these bubbles have not gone away and they need to be fixed. You can say that you understand that Xpel comes with a 10-year warranty and that if he says he is not going to fix it, then you will contact Xpel and go through them. If he knows he will be getting a call from Xpel if he does not fix it, that would likely motivate him to fix it.

Reactions: TBrownTX
A gentle car wash should not induce bubbles like that. IMO, you are the customer and you deserve to have PPF installed consistent with professional and industry standards. I would respectfully but directly tell the installer that these bubbles have not gone away and they need to be fixed. You can say that you understand that Xpel comes with a 10-year warranty and that if he says he is not going to fix it, then you will contact Xpel and go through them. If he knows he will be getting a call from Xpel if he does not fix it, that would likely motivate him to fix it.
Thanks. Appreciate the second opinion. Not the end of the world but I will press for a fix.

Hi all, recently had xpel placed on my rockers. Already had one trip back to address some bubbles. Yesterday after I washed my car, I saw these additional bubbles. Installer, while nice enough, doesn’t seem interested in addressing these. I’m trying to be reasonable. Biggest concern is that they get worse or peel since they are right on the edge. Should I press or leave it be? Thanks.
Rub them and leave it in sunshine. That’s fairly normal for an edge right on a crease.

Reactions: clerks and XLR82XS
I do PPF, hard to tell from the pic, is there water inside or air? If it is dirt or contamination there is nothing you can do, unless it is near an edge then it can be lifted and cleaned.

If it’s water don’t worry it will dry, can take a long time if it is not hot and sunny. The film is porous and the water will evaporate through, in some cases it will leave an air pocket if it does not shrink down, this is not a big deal either, your installer can poke it with a needle and remove the air. The film is self healing and you won’t see the needle mark.

As far as the other comment on manufacturer warranty it does not cover installation errors or client satisfaction so complaining to them won’t help.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Don't really look like bubbles to me. More like the edge has a few spots that haven't lain flat.
by default 2021-04-14 at 9.12.44 PM.jpg

That's the crease on the lower part of the door. When they PPF rockers, they also PPF the lower part below the crease on the door. As you can see, there's an edge right on the door crease. The edge has three tiny edge spots, and one larger one. Normally, you'd just rub those until they dried out and laid flat, but the OP says it's about a month now. Not sure what you'd do at this point.

I do PPF, hard to tell from the pic, is there water inside or air? If it is dirt or contamination there is nothing you can do, unless it is near an edge then it can be lifted and cleaned.

If it’s water don’t worry it will dry, can take a long time if it is not hot and sunny. The film is porous and the water will evaporate through, in some cases it will leave an air pocket if it does not shrink down, this is not a big deal either, your installer can poke it with a needle and remove the air. The film is self healing and you won’t see the needle mark.

As far as the other comment on manufacturer warranty it does not cover installation errors or client satisfaction so complaining to them won’t help.
Not sure. I don’t think it’s water. Looks like air but I’m just guessing. The installer agreed to clean them up without much fuss. Thanks again for all the comments.