Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF/ceramic/both, now vs later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new Model 3 about a week ago. Thinking about getting front PPF, ceramic, both, or neither. Never had these services done before so I wanted to get some thoughts and ask for things to consider before getting these done.

Aside from the cost, my concern about PPF is the difference in how the paint will look for the PPF vs non-PPF parts. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? What about in 5-10 years, will the non-PPF'd parts look that much different?

Really depends on the color of your car, how you take care of it, etc. On a white car it will be somewhat noticeable as time goes on, but with many of the newer films made by XPEL, Stek, Suntek, etc...the yellowing is not that big of a concern as it used to be. I would focus heavily on doing PPF first, and ceramic coating in the future if the budget doesn't allow for it to be done at once. If you take care of PPF, it'll last a long time, without discoloration.

Really depends on the color of your car, how you take care of it, etc. On a white car it will be somewhat noticeable as time goes on, but with many of the newer films made by XPEL, Stek, Suntek, etc...the yellowing is not that big of a concern as it used to be. I would focus heavily on doing PPF first, and ceramic coating in the future if the budget doesn't allow for it to be done at once. If you take care of PPF, it'll last a long time, without discoloration.
Mine is dark blue, parked outside in CA weather but there's a roof over it. Ideally, I plan to do regular washes. Are there certain habits I should expect to pick up to care for a PPF?

I got a few decent quotes for a bundled front PPF and ceramic. Is the timing for the ceramic also the earlier the better, or would one wait until the car needs a "re-shine" to get a ceramic coating done?

Mine is dark blue, parked outside in CA weather but there's a roof over it. Ideally, I plan to do regular washes. Are there certain habits I should expect to pick up to care for a PPF?

I got a few decent quotes for a bundled front PPF and ceramic. Is the timing for the ceramic also the earlier the better, or would one wait until the car needs a "re-shine" to get a ceramic coating done?
Don’t let things like bird droppings or really any dirt or contaminants sit on PPF too long. The less it’s in the sun the better. Ceramic coating contrary to a lot of “lifetime” coatings, it really only last a few years at max.

You can do it yourself. I did my whole car, Feb 2022 MSLR DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

After one year the PPF is doing great. Most of the damage is on the body flare out in front of the rear wheels. There are a few places on hood and front bumper. You will definitely get chips and swirls without PPF. Swirls can be buffed out and chips can be fixed. I think you'll be just fine without PPF. I did PPF just because I was prime and excited for the challenge. Any excuse for new tools and learning something new is a good excuse.

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence re: PPF, I might. But if you're going to do it, waiting is a bad idea as it will be more expensive. You'll have some chips and flaws to deal with from driving the car "naked" before applying PPF. Touch choice, excessive chips will bother me, but it is just a car in the end and I've owned dozens of cars without PPF and the front ends really didn't look that bad. OTOH I am led to believe Teslas have "softer paint" than legacy automakers and the front end is almost ALL paint...

I did see one video that said the PPF front was a little more glossy than the non PPF panels, but barely noticeable, probably not to any casual looker. Might vary with film supplier and application?

When it comes to the PPF and Ceramic Coating we have noticed it is always best to get things done as soon as possible. The PPF won't fix any chips that happen but it can prevent them from happening. As for the Ceramic Coating the better the surface starts the better the end results when doing the paint correction. The more that the vehicle is washed and dried, more and more of the fine surface scratches swirl looking marks there are to remove.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I might be in the camp of leaving PPF up to a professional. Most if not all the DIY kits do not fully wrap around edges and tuck into any seams. This is mainly due to the fact that you’d need to cut the film on the surface. For a non seasoned professional this likely means cutting into the paint. Pay a little more, get it done with extended edges tucked in, it will look invisible and you’d be happier in the long run.

I might be in the camp of leaving PPF up to a professional. Most if not all the DIY kits do not fully wrap around edges and tuck into any seams. This is mainly due to the fact that you’d need to cut the film on the surface. For a non seasoned professional this likely means cutting into the paint. Pay a little more, get it done with extended edges tucked in, it will look invisible and you’d be happier in the long run.
+1. Cut edges on painted surfaces are dirt magnets as well, you won’t want any unwrapped edges if possible. On white or light colored cars, it’s noticeable. No thanks.
While the general maintenance of PPF is easy, just wash as normal, there is one area that films can prove frustrating. Gunk accumulating where the edges of the film meet the paint can mar the aesthetic of any car, but especially cars with white or light coloured paint. The good news is that this gunk build-up usually takes a long time to become noticeable, and is quickly dealt with.

How to Clean PPF Edges

Here’s what you need: wooden toothpicks, q-tips, 30% strength rubbing alcohol, and a microfibre cloth. Start by using the toothpicks to lightly break up any gunk that has accumulated along the edge of the PPF. There is no need to push very hard and DO NOT LIFT UP THE FILM. Simply run it back and forth to get rid of the major build-up.

While you’re doing that, soak a few q-tips in the alcohol. After using the toothpicks, rub the q-tips along the edges to get rid of any residue. The alcohol will act as a solvent, and the q-tips will absorb residue. As with the toothpicks, don’t use excessive force.

Use the microfibre cloth to rub down an area after cleaning it. It also wouldn’t be a bad idea to give your car a normal was after doing this.

Reactions: FishKeks
Most if not all the DIY kits do not fully wrap around edges and tuck into any seams.
Well that's only if you don't ask. I did this. When I ordered I asked for all wrapable edges to be extended. The precut patterns are the same whether you're a DIYer or a professional. They all have software that allows the edges to be extended. They can also modify the corners.

However, if you're not handy with your hands and not up to that challenge it may best be left to a professional.

Ha, I've read some horror stories here of bad work done by professionals.

Do your research whether DIY or professional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clover
@Alpha Motoring let me know if you are wanting to get the PPF done. We have our office in Irvine. We do roll any edge that can be so it will be hidden.

Travis
949-522-6287

When I took delivery of my 2018 P3D back in Dec 2018, I had a full-car Xpel PPF done immediately after delivery. I am very happy with it. I park my car outside 24/7 including several months each year of brutal heat over 100 degrees. The car looks amazing and the film has held up very well. I have the same color as you, dark blue.

I decided NOT to have a ceramic coating done on top of the PPF. Instead of a ceramic coating, I decided to apply a ceramic spray sealant once every 3 to 6 months. I also use a ceramic-infused drying aid after each wash. I do weekly rinseless washes using ONR or P and S Absolute Rinseless Wash.

Taking care of PPF is not that hard. Just be sure to check with the PPF manufacturer for their recommendations and instructions. For example, Xpel recommends avoiding using any waxes or sealants that contain more than 5% naphtha or petroleum distillates. Most water-based sealants seem to be safe to use on PPF.

Finally, keep in mind that as long as you have your PPF installed by an manufacturer authorized installer, it will come with an extensive warranty. For example, Xpel PPF comes with a 10-year warranty. Premature yellowing is covered by this warranty. And the warranty is transferable to a new owner, in the event you sell the car before the warranty expires.

$1000 for XPEL fusion ceramic coating (on top of stealth Ppf) - sounds expensive. Looks like the warranty for coating is decent at 4 years (I thought it would be much less). So this breaks down to $250 per year extra. Worth it??

If you are not into car detailing and prefer to have a professional install a ceramic coating, then that may be worth it to you. But personally, I would rather apply a ceramic coating myself and save some money. Since you are applying it on top of newly installed Stealth PPF, there is no paint correction or polishing involved.

Gyeon makes a couple of very user-friendly ceramic coatings that are designed for this purpose:

PPF Evo is a coating designed specifically for PPF. Matte Evo is a coating specifically designed for matte paint, PPF, and vinyl. You can buy these kits for $89 to $99.

• Informative