Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF DIY Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also did without help. I did have a few bubbles and used a diabetic syringe. Funny story. I went to CVS pharmacy. She asked for a prescription. I told her I don't have one, this is for putting PPF on my car. She looked up from the computer with such a puzzled look. So I explained and caught the attention of other pharmacists and customers. Anyway, a syringe is very effective. Use a ghost glove. Poke at edge of bubble and try extracting with syringe plunger then get the rest by pushing from backside with ghost glove. Air is the enemy. Water could evaporate.
I couldn't find a actual syringe but I got diabetic Pen needles, the little ones for at home finger prick test.

Reactions: fredzos
Sorry for the delay but I finished everything on the 3rd. Man, did I hate the front bumper lol!

After everything else (headlights, fogs, sideview mirrors) was done and looking good, I watched plenty of videos on how to apply the PPF myself. I learned two different techniques. I'd say the biggest challenge was being by myself. Zoomer, hats off to you for getting yours done first try in near perfect fashion. If I had just had one other person to help hold the full piece while spraying and applying the PPF, it would have been a lot less stressful.

To keep it short, I got it all done and I'm happy with the results. As an OCD perfectionist, I had to constantly tell myself to stop trying to be perfect. So is it perfect? Definitely not, but good enough and worth the money I saved for sure! There are a few bubbles I have to fix before applying ceramic, which I'll do either Wednesday or Thursday. Its also not perfectly aligned but you cant see that unless you get close trying to search for it. But other than that the average person wouldn't notice a thing until I pointed it out to them.

So would I do this again?
By myself, nope! But with a friend, neighbor, or anyone willing to be an extra hand just to hold or spray, definitely! I would enjoy the project!
I'll post some pics after I touch up the air bubbles.

Reactions: fredzos
Sorry for the delay but I finished everything on the 3rd. Man, did I hate the front bumper lol!

After everything else (headlights, fogs, sideview mirrors) was done and looking good, I watched plenty of videos on how to apply the PPF myself. I learned two different techniques. I'd say the biggest challenge was being by myself. Zoomer, hats off to you for getting yours done first try in near perfect fashion. If I had just had one other person to help hold the full piece while spraying and applying the PPF, it would have been a lot less stressful.

To keep it short, I got it all done and I'm happy with the results. As an OCD perfectionist, I had to constantly tell myself to stop trying to be perfect. So is it perfect? Definitely not, but good enough and worth the money I saved for sure! There are a few bubbles I have to fix before applying ceramic, which I'll do either Wednesday or Thursday. Its also not perfectly aligned but you cant see that unless you get close trying to search for it. But other than that the average person wouldn't notice a thing until I pointed it out to them.

So would I do this again?
By myself, nope! But with a friend, neighbor, or anyone willing to be an extra hand just to hold or spray, definitely! I would enjoy the project!
I'll post some pics after I touch up the air bubbles.
Awesome and congratulations for taking this on. I have to say I was always stressed, each panel. But maybe it was a controlled stress that kept me vigilant. I used GTechniq Halo. They say its supposed to last 2 years, not for me. It lasted 9 months before it started loosing its slickeryness. So I top it with their C2 Sealant after every wash. I only wash it every 3 months. I do not drive in the rain. So, it only needs a wipe down after every drive. At the 2.5 years (in a couple of months) I will follow their instructions to prepare for another coat of Halo. Halo and C2 are definitely game changers in making maintenance washes so easy. The PPF after 15 months is still in great shape. It has done its job. I look at where the film has protect and imagine the scratch (just one) and the rocks would have damaged the paint.

Last edited:
Awesome and congratulations for taking this on. I have to say I was always stressed, each panel. But maybe it was a controlled stress that kept me vigilant. I used GTechniq Halo. They say its supposed to last 2 years, not for me. It lasted 9 months before it started loosing its slickeryness. So I top it with their C2 Sealant after every wash. I only wash it every 3 months. I do not drive in the rain. So, it only needs a wipe down after every drive. At the 2.5 years (in a couple of months) I will follow their instructions to prepare for another coat of Halo. Halo and C2 are definitely game changers in making maintenance washes so easy. The PPF after 15 months is still in great shape. It has done its job. I look at where the film has protect and imagine the scratch (just one) and the rocks would have damaged the paint.

Thanks. I actually did paint correction and ceramic coating about a month before getting PPF on everything except the front end where I was going to apply the DIY PPF kit. There are so many ceramic coatings to choose from, but after reading a ton of reviews and watching some stress test videos, I decided to go with Chemical Guys Carbon Force. I applied two coats of the coating to the car, and they advertise 5 years of protection. I am also going to buy their ceramic wash, which they recommend for upkeep. My OCD has me washing my car by hand twice a week. Mainly because I travel about 400 miles every weekend and I get a bunch of bugs, so I wash before the trip and after and sometimes once more during the week. "Perks" of having a black car :)

Reactions: zoomer0056