Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I will be taking delivery on a white Long Range Model Y in March. I want to get PPF on ASAP. I will be getting a full frontal at least, but I would prefer to do the entire thing if I can afford it. I have been doing a lot of research and I am thinking I may be able to do a decent job doing it myself. I know it wont be as good as a professional job, but I am assuming it will be at least half the price for a DIY. So my questions are...Should I buy a pre-cut DIY kit and try to do it myself? Can someone who has done a full kit give their opinion? Does anyone have an opinion on a preferred retailer for a quality product for a good price? Is a "matte" (stealth) kit more difficult to install? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Reactions: Mike7564
Hello all. I will be taking delivery on a white Long Range Model Y in March. I want to get PPF on ASAP. I will be getting a full frontal at least, but I would prefer to do the entire thing if I can afford it. I have been doing a lot of research and I am thinking I may be able to do a decent job doing it myself. I know it wont be as good as a professional job, but I am assuming it will be at least half the price for a DIY. So my questions are...Should I buy a pre-cut DIY kit and try to do it myself? Can someone who has done a full kit give their opinion? Does anyone have an opinion on a preferred retailer for a quality product for a good price? Is a "matte" (stealth) kit more difficult to install? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
The matte/stealth PPF itself is not more difficult to install, but it's more critical that you cover every single area of paint with the PPF because otherwise the gloss will show through. With gloss PPF on gloss car, it's much more forgiving if some areas are not completely covered.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Do it yourself! If I can do it, so can you. Like you I researched a lot before getting my Feb 2022 MSLR. I did not take this project on to save $, but because I was excited about the challenge. I went to several PPF businesses to pick their brains. Everybody, business, family and friends said I can't do it. Strange .... its done by other humans ... why couldn't this human do it too? I bought precut from Chris Renoson in Canada. He's a very helpful business. We talked several times before and after ordering. He extended some edges with his software program for wrapping edges. One very critical piece of advice .... clean, clean, clean and then again .... clean your garage. My neighbors and wife thought I was crazy. I spent a month cleaning before my car arrived. We have overhead racks, they were leaf blowered along with everything else. As i cleaned, a lot of things that could hide spiders or hold dust went out to the side yard. By the time my car arrived the garage was dust and spider free, cleaner than the house. I've never done this before so I practiced first. First I practiced on the front license plate holder which I removed. It was the first piece. Very complicated with flat areas, compound rounded inside and outside corners, edge wrapping, butt joints and knife cuts. I started to get a feel for how PPF can be stretched and worked. This first piece is also where I learned how to use some tools: slip solution, tack solution, different types of squeegees, razor, ghost glove and heat gun. Then I worked on areas not easily seen ... the rocker panels. ... Yada yad Yada.... Its been exactly one year, the PPF is doing the job. There are a few defects that only I can see. Its paint protection film, not paint perfection film. You can do it!!!! See my post DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed info! I will take a look at your link and read it carefully. I have a garage that I am able to clean really well and keep the floor damp to minimize dust. I will look into the company you bought yours from, but I would like to find a good retailer from the US.

Reactions: zoomer0056