Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF (matte) opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably the best thing a potential purchaser of PPF can do is visually inspect other cars that are being wrapped in the shop that are the same model as your car. The shop we used has one, maybe two guys, with the most training and experience in PPF doing the PPF work. Other guys there assist with the cleaning of the car etc. With PPF you really want someone who has been doing this for some time and does great work. It's not something to be rushed either. And as mentioned bubbles or sometimes a wrinkle can form and is pretty normal and can be corrected when brought in for your check.

We had a full body wrap done on our Model 3 and I'd say the area where the bumper meets the body panels are probably the areas where I've noticed you'll have a visible seam gap (did not want to have the bumpers removed for a full wrap there). Another tough area will be front bumper recessed areas. Pretty much think all the other areas of the car were able to be wrapped fully but I'd have to check my car to say for sure. With clear PPF and a white car just really hard to notice unless really close to the body. While protection of the paint from flying road stones, door dings, shopping carts and minor car scrapes is the main goal in buying PPF, having it look more or less invisible esthetically surely is a secondary goal. I personally would not be happy to see edging like I do on the door panels etc where clearly there is panel separation where film could have been wrapped inward.

Thanks for the detailed information, this helps me figure out what to bring up with the shop.

Would it be possible to check how the fenders and rear quarter panel edges are wrapped?

Looking for some feedback!

Just got my car fully wrapped in matte PPF. Templates were used, so edges were not wrapped.

Wanted to get folks opinion on a few things I noticed. I’ll be meeting up with the installer again to go over things.

1. There are a few places the film doesn’t meet the edge and it’s noticeable to me. what should be acceptable?

2. Trapped fiber under PPF

3. Should the bumper sensors be cut out?

4. Odd squiggle under PPF

Appreciate your opinions, and perhaps I’m being too picky?

Model3 PPF

1. - depending on the panel, the film can't always wrap around the edges. PPF doesn't have the same ability to be crammed into edges and "pockets" the same way that vinyl does. If you try, it can lift and you would end up being very unhappy with how it looked. That being said, it should be trimmed as close as possible to the edge. there shouldn't be very much gloss showing at all. I'd be curious to see how close they got to the edge.
2. Metropolitan Detail is 100% correct, if they can't lift it and get it out, they should replace it.
3. bumper sensors have to be cut out because they will read that something is in front of them if you leave the film on. They will beep nonstop as if you are about to hit something.
4. this could be a defect or contamination in the film, in either case, your installer should replace or fix.

You aren't being too picky with what you are asking. The edges situations should have hopefully been explained before installation and all the things you are seeing and wondering about are totally warranted to ask. PPF isn't cheap, you deserve to ask anything you want!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, this helps me figure out what the right expectations are. When I asked the shop about wrapped edges, he shop said to me that some patterns might be used and that generally most edges would be wrapped.

Some pictures here: (click link)
Model3 PPF

1. - depending on the panel, the film can't always wrap around the edges. PPF doesn't have the same ability to be crammed into edges and "pockets" the same way that vinyl does. If you try, it can lift and you would end up being very unhappy with how it looked. That being said, it should be trimmed as close as possible to the edge. there shouldn't be very much gloss showing at all. I'd be curious to see how close they got to the edge.
2. Metropolitan Detail is 100% correct, if they can't lift it and get it out, they should replace it.
3. bumper sensors have to be cut out because they will read that something is in front of them if you leave the film on. They will beep nonstop as if you are about to hit something.
4. this could be a defect or contamination in the film, in either case, your installer should replace or fix.

You aren't being too picky with what you are asking. The edges situations should have hopefully been explained before installation and all the things you are seeing and wondering about are totally warranted to ask. PPF isn't cheap, you deserve to ask anything you want!!

Thanks for the info, this helps me figure out what the right expectations are. When I asked the shop about wrapped edges, he shop said to me that some patterns might be used and that generally most edges would be wrapped.

Model3 PPF[/QUOTE]

I can see what they mean, and patterns do get used, but they should have been more specific. We use patterns on all our cars but we make sure they are larger than the panel so we can either trim or wrap wherever is applicable. We also cut our own patterns from a database where some other companies might order them. Just a difference in operations but good things to know if you ever want to add film to the car.

Model3 PPF

I can see what they mean, and patterns do get used, but they should have been more specific. We use patterns on all our cars but we make sure they are larger than the panel so we can either trim or wrap wherever is applicable. We also cut our own patterns from a database where some other companies might order them. Just a difference in operations but good things to know if you ever want to add film to the car.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I saw a plotter in the shop, so I think they cut their own, but I’m not sure. From the pictures can you tell if any hand trimming was done?

I can see what they mean, and patterns do get used, but they should have been more specific. We use patterns on all our cars but we make sure they are larger than the panel so we can either trim or wrap wherever is applicable. We also cut our own patterns from a database where some other companies might order them. Just a difference in operations but good things to know if you ever want to add film to the car.

Thanks for the info. I saw a plotter in the shop, so I think they cut their own, but I’m not sure. From the pictures can you tell if any hand trimming was done?[/QUOTE]

- It looks like that was probably all hand trimmed. The backside of that door should have been wrapped around the edge, the wheel well should have been wrapped around the edge, and the other photos it doesn't really look like they needed to trim back that far. As a reference point here is a model 3 we did at our shop. All of the chrome is done in black vinyl but I tried to include some edge shots so you can see how trims should be made and where it can wrap over.
Rainville_181219-04780.jpg
Rainville_181219-04788.jpg
Rainville_181219-04793.jpg
Rainville_181219-04792.jpg

Attachments

• Rainville_181219-04784.jpg
    Rainville_181219-04784.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: TD_alseT
Super helpful thank you! That gives me more insight to how it should have been done for a edge wrapped application.

On my car it seems aside from the hood and the top edge of the fender, everything was cut short of the edge.

Here’s a list I came up with edges I believe should be wrapped, can you review? Thanks so much for your responses and help!

1. Doors, I would expect back/front/bottom side to be wrapped

2. Fender (wheel well, edge adjacent to door, edge adjacent to hood)

3. Hood/trunk all edge

4. Rear quarter panel (edge adjacent to back door,wheel well, edge adjacent to trunk)

5. Bumpers (bottom edge)

Super helpful thank you! That gives me more insight to how it should have been done for a edge wrapped application.

On my car it seems aside from the hood and the top edge of the fender, everything was cut short of the edge.

Here’s a list I came up with edges I believe should be wrapped, can you review? Thanks so much for your responses and help!

1. Doors, I would expect back/front/bottom side to be wrapped

2. Fender (wheel well, edge adjacent to door, edge adjacent to hood)

3. Hood/trunk all edge

4. Rear quarter panel (edge adjacent to back door,wheel well, edge adjacent to trunk)

5. Bumpers (bottom edge)

You're exactly right except for the front of the doors. The only part of the doors that can not be wrapped is the front edge of the front doors. That needs to be trimmed because there is no way to reach around the edge to get the film to lay down flat on the back side. everything else you are absolutely correct.

You're exactly right except for the front of the doors. The only part of the doors that can not be wrapped is the front edge of the front doors. That needs to be trimmed because there is no way to reach around the edge to get the film to lay down flat on the back side. everything else you are absolutely correct.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I talked with the shop and they have agreed to do a rewrap of the car. Scheduled for the end of February. Lesson learned, go over your expectations with the shop before the job starts so that everyone is on the same page.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I talked with the shop and they have agreed to do a rewrap of the car. Scheduled for the end of February. Lesson learned, go over your expectations with the shop before the job starts so that everyone is on the same page.

Great to hear! Glad to know they are going to help you out and fix it. Setting the expectation at the beginning is so important when it comes to PPF.

Reactions: SMAlset
I would ask them to wrap it. Looks off.

Was the trunk done in 1 piece or 2 pieces? That was the only part of the job the shop had difficulty doing and they had to do my trunk in 2 pieces (where the future carbon spoiler will be placed).

Really good that the shop agreed to rewrap the car. Those issues are unacceptable and many shops would have likely brushed you off so kudos that they are willing to redo it.