Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF, when should I do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only you can answer if it's worth the risk of losing that money in case you need to return the vehicle. It's not as if Tesla or your insurance will reimburse the cost if you do return the vehicle, so maybe waiting through the 7 day return period makes sense. Presumably the car won't suffer much during that time.

My PPF folks needed an appointment weeks in advance so I pretty much took my X in the next day. There’s always a chance of issues but I’d rather work them out later than have something happen to the paint.

If they find a body issue then of course you can have Tesla fix that before completing the PPF. But it’s all personal preference.

it doesn't take a week to go over the paint and verify the car is functioning. I picked up the car, looked it over, make a ppf / tint install appointment. Didn't drive the car for a week till the appointment came time.

if i had to do it again, i'd try make the appointment earlier (before I got the car), but since Tesla scheduling is so erratic, I'm not sure that's possible.

it doesn't take a week to go over the paint and verify the car is functioning. I picked up the car, looked it over, make a ppf / tint install appointment. Didn't drive the car for a week till the appointment came time.

if i had to do it again, i'd try make the appointment earlier (before I got the car), but since Tesla scheduling is so erratic, I'm not sure that's possible.

Okay, I went with the general consensus. Driving from TESLA to the PPF installer, same day.

Yes, do it same day. Don't make the same mistake as me. When I brought it in my hood was riddled with small rock chips (after a few weeks!). Though he was able to clean it up and make it very hard to see unless you're really up close. The only reason for the delay was because my rear bumper had a streak of white paint when I first picked up the car, and hesitated on getting it wrapped until I had that fixed by Tesla...

Also, if there are any paint defects, chances are your PPF installer will notice and tell you up front, they're professionals in this stuff.

I received my car on Friday, drove it 50’ to the PPF dealer, picked it up Monday. Man, that weekend knowing my car was local and I wasn’t driving it was tough! But on the plus side there was no paint correction or anything to be done to the perfect surface.

We always recommend clients to get it done right the first time. How much of the car you get done should be dependent on how often you plan on driving the car, typical road conditions,....and consider your expected length of time for ownership of the car. You will see lots of recommendations and photos of the work being done, but the most important thing to do is go to the shops themselves and see the work in person. Since everyone have different standards for what is acceptable work, only you can determine if the work of Company A will satisfy you vs. Company B.

There are lots of variables to look at. "Pre-cut Kits" and "Custom Kits" vs. True Custom installs; Look for excessive gaps in the work in person; look for seams / adhesive distortions, ect... These items will vary depending on the level of experience and film installation know-how.

Here is an example of what to look for on the Model 3. If done right, pre-cut kits can look dencent as well, but this is where seeing the work in person can help you determine whether your standards are aligned with the company's.

For window tint, also consider the brand and if the installer can do a 1 piece rear glass install on the full rear glass. Spectra Photosync IRD is the top heat blocking tint in the industry. Spectra PhotoSync IRD® | Prestige We've tested it against all the major brands and it stands out above the rest. The only caveat for Photosync IRD is it is a more exclusive film, so it may not be available in your area.

For all of you that have PPF installed, can you tell a difference between the parts that are covered and the parts that are not? I'm getting mine installed on Friday, but have never done this before on any cars so just wondering.

Unfortunately, I've had the car for 3 weeks so hopefully not too much rock chip damage at this point.

I only wrapped the front of my car (hood, bumper, mirrors fenders and lights). When I picked up my car from Tesla, it is easy to pick up the visible defects on the paint and Tesla is very willing to mark it down immediately to do paint correction. My rear quarter panel has a white small dust, the car spent 4 days at the paint shop to have it fixed.

Then I drove 20miles to the PPF shop, the owner immediately found out scratches are all over the front from highway and from factory under the lights. He polished everything out before putting the PPF, then do the ceramic coating for the whole car.

I was able to arrange for my Car Detailer/PPF guy to attend the delivery and inspect the finish. We ended up having Tesla repaint the frunk lid and front bumper cause of paint nibs. After painting, car went to detailer and got "new car" paint correction, PPF, and Ceramic coat. All before I drove it the 200 mile home.

The longer you drive it without PPF, the more damage it will collect. The M3 front bumpers are magnets for rocks, bugs, and snow.

I’m torn if I should take the car to have PPF, ceramic and tint done right after picking the car up. Or. Should I wait a week or two and make sure everything with the car is okay?
I’ve takes both our Teslas (2018 Model 3 & 2018 Model S) directly to installer directly from delivery. The installer discovered an issue with the chrome molding on my Model S on delivery day. Sent me a photo (below) and I was able to submit it to Tesla for repair. One of my friends just took delivery on his Model Y and his installer met him at delivery and helped him inspect the car. Pretty cool.

291B2245-275B-4256-B52F-4EA3D5B1E8A3.jpeg