Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Yes or No?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do it yourself, it is not that bad. Buy a precut and diy. Ppf is very forgiving , make a mistake, peel it off and do it again until you got it right. Use a steamer to heat up the ppf and it will be easier to stretch! If you have water or air bubbles, just poke it and ppf will heal itself. If you are not a diy guy, then bring it to the pros, but $7000 is to rich for me.

Reactions: GoodKarma
You should be able to get a full body paint correction, PPF on the front only (bumper, hood, front fenders, mirror caps) and full body ceramic coating for 1/2 this price ($4000-ish). Better buy IMO but only you can decide what’s best for your specific situation. In any case, I hope you enjoy your new Y. Welcome to the family. Stay well. MJP

Getting my Tesla Model Y in Dec. I have been quoted $8.6k for a full car coverage in the Bay Area.

I am inclined towards it but the steep price is making me re-consider especially with the current economic climate.

Looking for advice from this community if ppf is really useful especially at that price?

Thanks!
I got full body PPF. $6K including tax but that was in 3/2022 in Thousand Oaks, California at a place which offers lifetime warranty on install and is well known. I drove for 2000 miles without PPF and got some indentations on front and chips on hood and even upper rear passenger door. Wish I had PPF from day 1!! Los Angeles freeways I tell ya! So many times heard debris impacting the car as I drove.

I had full body PPF installed a few days after picking up my MYP. It was around $6.5k but worth it to me to avoid swirl marks, small nicks, and to also make it super easy to clean. Most of the time just a simple hose down removes most of the dirt and dust. I had ceramic coating on my last vehicle (blue M3) but it seemed to attract dust and dirt like crazy.

Agreed with the front bumper only if you want to save. cleaning the front bumper is so easy!

i paid $500 for just the front bumper in the Bay Area.

I put 30k on my 2020 LR Y without PPF and the front bumper had a few chips and nicks. Wish I installed PPF but again, I sold it to the dealer and it didn’t matter. if i had PPF, I wouldn’t get back a single penny for it.

I put on PPF front bumper on my 2022 MYP since new and loved it. After 15k, zero chips / nicks. Washing off bugs is so easy! No PPF anywhere else and my car is still in mint condition bc I watch where i pack! 😁. I think its worth $500, not anything over 1k.

I got full body PPF. $6K including tax but that was in 3/2022 in Thousand Oaks, California at a place which offers lifetime warranty on install and is well known. I drove for 2000 miles without PPF and got some indentations on front and chips on hood and even upper rear passenger door. Wish I had PPF from day 1!! Los Angeles freeways I tell ya! So many times heard debris impacting the car as I drove.
I’m in the same area. Which shop did your PPF and are you happy with their work?

You can get a full PPF stealth wrap for under $6K at some Bay Area shops
You Right!! Level Up will do a full ppf install for right around 6 and under when we have specials. no precuts so every part is covered and wrapped around for full protection. We are in Mountain View if anyone has questions feel free to ask either here or call the shop (650)961-8657

Attachments

• tesla ppf.jpg
    tesla ppf.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 126
  • tesla hood edge.jpg
    tesla hood edge.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 74
  • tesla fender edge.jpg
    tesla fender edge.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 65
  • tesla front.jpg
    tesla front.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: freed0m
Getting my Tesla Model Y in Dec. I have been quoted $8.6k for a full car coverage in the Bay Area.

I am inclined towards it but the steep price is making me re-consider especially with the current economic climate.

Looking for advice from this community if ppf is really useful especially at that price?

Thanks!
paint is the protection.
get the front mudflaps and wait.
Teslas are coming fresh off the assembly line to your doorstep. They aren't sitting on lots.
That paint should not be waxed or sealed right away. Glaze it at most and let it fully cure.
Let the new car excitement wear off and see how you feel about this after the first wax.

That's $5-8k you could spend on home charger install,plus a lot of other things or just bank it.

you can respray the entire bumper perfect match for $350 in your driveway in a couple hours.
Any chips that ppf would protect can be resprayed for far less and gouges and dings that ppf can't stop can easily be fixed with a respray.
Bonus: you don't pay for respray unless you need it.

Totally understand getting ppf. Everyone wants their new expensive vehicle to last and look perfect for as long as possible.
But here's another perspective, a few others have voiced as well.

paint is the protection.
get the front mudflaps and wait.
Teslas are coming fresh off the assembly line to your doorstep. They aren't sitting on lots.
That paint should not be waxed or sealed right away. Glaze it at most and let it fully cure.
Let the new car excitement wear off and see how you feel about this after the first wax.

That's $5-8k you could spend on home charger install,plus a lot of other things or just bank it.

you can respray the entire bumper perfect match for $350 in your driveway in a couple hours.
Any chips that ppf would protect can be resprayed for far less and gouges and dings that ppf can't stop can easily be fixed with a respray.
Bonus: you don't pay for respray unless you need it.

Totally understand getting ppf. Everyone wants their new expensive vehicle to last and look perfect for as long as possible.
But here's another perspective, a few others have voiced as
Full frontal for $2000 is good. Skip full body. You'll eventually sell your car and no one will care that you spent good money on PPF.
It depends if the user in getting the clear ppf or the matte finish, matte finish would look ackward of only certain parts are covered.

Thanks!

I did PPF and I can honestly say from my experience it’s not worth it. You get minimal protection for the cost. I also did ceramic coating and it is worth it. Really no protection but the look is amazing and it’s 5x easier when it’s time for a bath.

Reactions: Daekwan
I did PPF and I can honestly say from my experience it’s not worth it. You get minimal protection for the cost. I also did ceramic coating and it is worth it. Really no protection but the look is amazing and it’s 5x easier when it’s time for a bath.
Ceramic actually really doesn’t change the look. It may look shinier because it was polished before the ceramic was applied, but ceramic doesn’t make it glossier

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Ceramic actually really doesn’t change the look. It may look shinier because it was polished before the ceramic was applied, but ceramic doesn’t make it glossier
I guess it’s just my mind playing tricks on me then. Because it sure did look that way in my case. I have MSM. And it gave it a more wet glossier look. I looked at it in stages and it really did not look that way after the paint correction and final polishing prior to the several coats of ceramic. But I guess it was worth the Jedi mind trick. And I feel like my folks really didn’t do a good job. So if you have someone who really knows what they are doing ceramic is worth it just for the trick it plays on you with the much better look.

I guess it’s just my mind playing tricks on me then. Because it sure did look that way in my case. I have MSM. And it gave it a more wet glossier look. I looked at it in stages and it really did not look that way after the paint correction and final polishing prior to the several coats of ceramic. But I guess it was worth the Jedi mind trick. And I feel like my folks really didn’t do a good job. So if you have someone who really knows what they are doing ceramic is worth it just for the trick it plays on you with the much better look.
Absolutely, I love my ceramic simply because it makes washing 1000% easier.

New Model Y owner here. Don't have a lot of bugs around here and it never snows; not doing any off-roading either. (I live in Santa Monica, CA.) Took delivery this week and it came without the rear PPF and no mud flaps. Don't think I'll opt for a treatment that costs thousands of dollars. Should I consider the rear PPF DIY option? Mud Flaps? Tesla or aftermarket?