Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-3rd Party Purchase Sanity Check on 2014 MS 85 with 37k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that if the car has the Tech Package it also has parking sensors. Parking sensors were bundled with the Tech Package but became standard with AP1 around Sept. 2014. I think it sounds like a good value, but I have not been keeping up to date on prices. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Parking Sensors were a separate option as of December 2013. They cost $500 above and beyond the $3,750 Tech Package. The Tech Package did include power folding mirrors at that time, along with the Nav access and power lift gate.

The feedback here has been super helpful, thank you all!

I ended up ordering (putting $2500 down) on the 2014 MS 85 that I described earlier on the Tesla pre-owned site. Here are the details:
  • Build Date: 09/2014 (no autopilot)
  • Miles: 32k
  • Black Exterior with 19" cyclone wheels
  • Performance leather interior with grey alcantara inserts/trim
  • Pano roof
  • Tech package
  • Cold weather package
  • Ultra high fidelity sound
  • Obeche wood trim and yacht floor
  • Coils
  • Free supercharging
  • Price: $37,600 (Tesla pre-owned site)
This car has more options (roof, upgraded audio, better seats) and the 2yr pre-owned warranty for ~$2k more than the 3rd party car I was about to buy. What do folks think of this deal?

Last edited:
The feedback here has been super helpful, thank you all!

I ended up ordering (putting $2500 down) on the 2014 MS 85 that I described earlier on the Tesla pre-owned site. Here are the details:
  • Build Date: 09/2014 (no autopilot)
  • Miles: 32k
  • Black Exterior with 19" cyclone wheels
  • Performance leather interior with grey alcantara inserts/trim
  • Pano roof
  • Tech package
  • Cold weather package
  • Ultra high fidelity sound
  • Obeche wood trim and yacht floor
  • Coils
  • Free supercharging
  • Price: $37,600 (Tesla pre-owned site)
This car has more options (roof, upgraded audio, better seats) and the 2yr pre-owned warranty for ~$2k more than the 3rd party car I was about to buy. What do folks think of this deal?
Without having all the options listed for the first car it's hard to compare 1:1, but for just $2000 more you seem to be getting much more car, PLUS you'll have 2yr pre-owned warranty. Better mileage, pano roof, UHFS, etc. On the face it's a much better deal.

Reactions: PWlakewood
Great choice buying directly from Tesla to get the warranty. Your purchase experience may be a bit more stressful due to lack of communication, but in the end the warranty is worth it. Good luck.

Man, I must say that the purchasing experience is clunky at best. If you showed me the back/forth correspondence with folks and hid the company name, I would assume the messages were coming from a 'buy here, pay here' used car dealer. The pre-delivery pictures that are shared are super grainy and offer no real sense of vehicle condition. Also, their is no description of anything that may be wrong with the car cosmetically (paint, dents, etc.).

In one picture of my actual car, I can't tell if there are paint defects or if there is just water running down the car from a recent wash. When I asked for a detailed picture of that section, I received the following response:

"Unfortunately the photos that you see are also what I see. The vehicles are all kept in off-site storage facilities in large garages with very poor lighting until they get moved for delivery. I would not be able to get additional photos. If there is paint damage, you could buy a Tesla touch-up kit."

Crazy.

For reference, all pictures that were provided to me can be found here: 2014 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H18EFP51963 | False, Fa | Tesla

I was thinking there might be defects on the rear passenger side corner, although upon further inspection (squinting) it appears to be water running from the tail light.

Man, I must say that the purchasing experience is clunky at best. If you showed me the back/forth correspondence with folks and hid the company name, I would assume the messages were coming from a 'buy here, pay here' used car dealer. The pre-delivery pictures that are shared are super grainy and offer no real sense of vehicle condition. Also, their is no description of anything that may be wrong with the car cosmetically (paint, dents, etc.).

In one picture of my actual car, I can't tell if there are paint defects or if there is just water running down the car from a recent wash. When I asked for a detailed picture of that section, I received the following response:

"Unfortunately the photos that you see are also what I see. The vehicles are all kept in off-site storage facilities in large garages with very poor lighting until they get moved for delivery. I would not be able to get additional photos. If there is paint damage, you could buy a Tesla touch-up kit."

Crazy.

For reference, all pictures that were provided to me can be found here: 2014 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H18EFP51963 | False, Fa | Tesla

I was thinking there might be defects on the rear passenger side corner, although upon further inspection (squinting) it appears to be water running from the tail light.

Yeah good luck with this part, this is where they suck :(