Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-conditioning, regen, and cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite. They use the drive motors for heating, it can be intentionally run in such a mode that it produces a lot of waste heat that can be fed back to the battery.

Theoretically, you're right, but regen creates a lot of power in the dozens of kW, if I had to guess by the bar chart maybe 70kW. That is an enormous amount of heat and the resistor alone would be massive and pretty much burn the car down. Not really joking either

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If you are covered in the range you need the following day--is the std. mobil connector maybe a better option, in that it acts like trickle charger in a sense (staying on all night) , in cold garages, vs the HPWC?
It would depend on how much range you need to add. Yes, the mobile connector to a 14-50 will charge slower than your HPWC but it's still going to give you upwards of 30 miles per hour and it is still going to stop charging when it reaches whatever range you set it at.

Also would allow pre-heating interior while on charge vs using battery and thus range once en-route.
Yes, this should increase your range because any charge lost through preconditioning would be replaced from being connected.

At 4 miles range per hour it would be powered all night vs guessing (and perhaps changing) every day the charge start/completion time to coincide with time of departure.
If you can get by with that slow of a rate then sure go for it. It doesn't matter what method you use though, the trick is to get whatever method you use to stop charging as close to your drive time as possible.

Theoretically, you're right, but regen creates a lot of power in the dozens of kW, if I had to guess by the bar chart maybe 70kW. That is an enormous amount of heat and the resistor alone would be massive and pretty much burn the car down. Not really joking either
The motor coolant loop can deal with 70kW for a time. I wonder how much they are doing during the battery heat up cycle. I'll try to test it when it gets cold round here.

So they do heat the battery as I stated but by the means of the motor. I assume when plugged in the software will sense the cold drop and would use the land power to run the motor to heat up the battery when needed.

Either way just leave the darn car plugged in as suggested when it will take care of the battery pack. I bet there is a threshold it has to hit before it warms it up. Not enough though for Regen when cold.