Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-facelift 85D => 100D upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The value of free supercharging is pretty overrated, IMO. Unless you're supercharging daily or something for some reason, it's not a huge deal.

75k miles on the wife's Model 3, spent maybe $400 in supercharging over the past 5 years. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: swt2c
The value of free supercharging is pretty overrated, IMO. Unless you're supercharging daily or something for some reason, it's not a huge deal.

75k miles on the wife's Model 3, spent maybe $400 in supercharging over the past 5 years. 🤷‍♂️
What state? And what's the prices for charging?
In California it's up to .48 per kwh. I'm just playing the long game with my car
My stated price is outdated because my car doesn't show me and I do not know
If the price of electricity keeps going up it will be more economical to have a fuel efficient gas car

Reactions: aerodyne
In California it's up to .48 per kwh. I'm just playing the long game with my car
If the price of electricity keeps going up it will be more economical to have a fuel efficient gas car

It's probably just more economical to move out of California. ;)

Supercharging will continue to get more expensive, I can guarantee that. Also, at those prices if you had free supercharging it’s an amazing perk

wk057 still didnt answer my question.
what state do you live in?
i had my friend look at the supercharging costs and he said there was no real peak rates and off peak rates anymore... the peak rates are $0.56.
my last trip to oregon and back i used about 500kwh or $280. sure it might have been cheaper in oregon, but im pretty sure at those rates a toyota prius filling at 70 bucks a tank which is stupid expensive for a tank and 3 tanks of gas is cheaper, quicker, etc.

In my case, I live in a small apartment in Prague. I also have some AC charging spots in nearby shopping centre for around 30cents/kWh. Supercharger is 7km away, but I drive quite often along it. I drive almost daily short distances, few times a year longer trips. I do in total around 17000miles a year. Last year I did like 55% of all charging (around 3,7MWh) on supercharger, so it's around 2k USD. That's for now as I have two small children and don't travel so much. but I plan to travel a lot in the future through the whole EU. So for me it is a big benefit ;) And so far I'm enjoying the car so much...

Last edited:
Sure. You will proportionally make less too
This is actually quite incorrect.

wk057 still didnt answer my question.
what state do you live in?
Why would I answer a question that's answered already by just looking at any of my posts? My city and state are right there in my profile.
1677083348085.png

i had my friend look at the supercharging costs and he said there was no real peak rates and off peak rates anymore... the peak rates are $0.56.
my last trip to oregon and back i used about 500kwh or $280. sure it might have been cheaper in oregon, but im pretty sure at those rates a toyota prius filling at 70 bucks a tank which is stupid expensive for a tank and 3 tanks of gas is cheaper, quicker, etc.

$0.56/kWh is absolutely insane. $70 to fill a Prius is also insane.

I recently cancelled a trip I was planning to take to California where I was to rent a vehicle and make a few stops between San Francisco and San Diego over the course of about a week. Car rental places I normally use pretty much told me I couldn't leave anything at all inside the vehicles because this invites thieves, and that I'd be responsible for damage to the vehicle (not covered by their extra coverage!) if a thief were to break a window to steal my stuff. Since I'd be traveling to visit clients working on various projects, and would need to bring relatively expensive equipment with me... that's not really an acceptable risk to me. I'm also not going to be unloading everything out of the car any time I go out to eat or whatever, either.

I spoke with one of my clients in San Francisco about this, and he just told me "Oh, you get used to it." You get used to people pretty much being allowed to rob you? 🤷‍♂️ What in the actual **** ....

Overall, the west coast appears to just have lost its collective mind. I honestly don't know how anyone lives in these places.

Reactions: diddydee
I spoke with one of my clients in San Francisco about this, and he just told me "Oh, you get used to it." You get used to people pretty much being allowed to rob you? 🤷‍♂️ What in the actual **** ....

Overall, the west coast appears to just have lost its collective mind. I honestly don't know how anyone lives in these places.
Some of us have little choice. And not all of CA is SF or LA...

FUSC is a worthwhile perk at rates approaching $0.50 per KwH. My off peak rate including charging loss is $0.25 per KwH.

Keeping a older car because of FUSC, is more sustainable than buying new, and cheaper too unless you are going from MS to M3.

Why would a person or company want to be responsible for the stuff you leave in a car unattended? Yes break ins happen all the time, and those signs exist everywhere.
And the wage is not incorrect either. Just look at minimum wages in Cali compared to other states. People complain you can't live off minimum, I say you shouldn't be able to live off minimum and it's there for the first time jobs kids get

for me i save over $300 a month in free supercharging, i drive all over the damn place and also take a 400 mile each way trip every month. And once i retire in 55 days I'll be driving around the country so that $300 will likely go up even more.

Reactions: Videomatic3
FUSC is a worthwhile perk at rates approaching $0.50 per KwH. My off peak rate including charging loss is $0.25 per KwH.
Sure... but I think the rates are the problem, though. At $0.50/kWh an expensive off-grid solar install would still break even in a reasonable time... which is crazy.

Keeping a older car because of FUSC, is more sustainable than buying new, and cheaper too unless you are going from MS to M3.
Sure, agreed. Don't just get rid of it to get rid of it. But if you're faced with spending $20k to keep a FUSC car on the road, vs putting that $20k towards a new replacement car without FUSC..... I don't see FUSC being of enough value to warrant keeping the FUSC car in 99.99% of cases.

for me i save over $300 a month in free supercharging, i drive all over the damn place and also take a 400 mile each way trip every month. And once i retire in 55 days I'll be driving around the country so that $300 will likely go up even more.

That's definitely not average use, though, and I'm not saying it has no value for anyone. Just generally, it's overhyped.

---

Getting a bit OT here, but it's a good discussion to have when people keep their heads on straight.

Some of us have little choice.
With regard to the topic at hand, someone who can afford to live in California and own a Tesla is almost certainly not in that group.

I've had long conversations with friends and family from around the country in places like California, New York, New Jersey, DC area, etc... if you've never done it, but actually look at the numbers, you'd probably be quite surprised what you end up with. Overall cost of living (housing, insurance, taxes, food, transportation, etc etc) vs wages pretty much always work out better outside of those areas.

Fun example: A friend recently moved from NJ to SC. Went from an 800 sqft house on not much more land, crammed in dense neighborhood in a city there, to a nearly 2000 sqft place 5 miles from the beach. His cost of living dropped by over 50%, and his wages dropped by about 25%. Run the numbers and that's still more $ left in his pocket at the end of the day, with a vastly improved quality of life and even some luxury bonus in there (living 5 miles from the beach is a thing people like, it seems).

I've run the numbers for some folks in California, also, and it never works out badly. California is just so astronomically expensive on everything that there's really no way to lose by leaving. Even moving from some places in California to my friend's old place in NJ above would be a more-money-in-pocket venture.

For most folks I don't really buy not having the choice to leave CA.

There's people who refuse to accept the reality of this, also, even when presented with the numbers. I know a couple who makes $x (low 6-figures), and their normal cost of living expenses add up to over 90% of their combined income. The jobs they have are pretty universal, and they could move to somewhere near where I am and make at least 80% of what they do where they are. But they could keep at least their existing lifestyle for less than 40% of what they're currently spending. The math works out where they'd have nearly 5x more cash-in-pocket every year (basically one of their full incomes would effectively be 100% discretionary, potentially not even needed), and I've just been told I must be making this all up. lol.

To each their own, I just generally find most people's understanding of the topic to be inconsistent with reality any time I've had these discussions, and particularly when it's claimed that "it can't be done" or "no choice", etc. </rant>

And not all of CA is SF or LA...
I'm sure there are nicer places outside the cities... but at the end of the day it's still California and still ridiculously expensive for no good reason.

Again, to each their own. I'm not going to try and make anyone move or whatever. All I'll ever do is present information on the topic, and people can do with it what they please.

--

Why would a person or company want to be responsible for the stuff you leave in a car unattended? Yes break ins happen all the time, and those signs exist everywhere.
I mean, we have almost no vehicle break-ins in my area. They happen, but it's not common. And the police actually look into it and even sometimes catch them, and occasionally even recover stolen goods! I can pretty confidently park my car anywhere around here at any store or other parking location at any time of day with whatever valuables I leave in the car, even in plain sight, and be reasonably certain they'll still be there when I return.

That's a pretty huge difference in quality of life vs being told your car will almost definitely get broken into and anything you leave in it will be stolen any time you leave your car unattended, AND no one will investigate or do anything about it when it does happen.

I'll go with my area any time over that craziness.
And the wage is not incorrect either.
Your premise that wages are proportionally less is definitely incorrect. I'd have to make 5x my current income to have a similar standard of living to what I have here (ignoring all of the other negatives about such a move) out in California, and I also wouldn't be able make 5x more out there to make such a move make sense even from a purely financial standpoint. I've looked, believe it or not. I'd have less in-pocket at the end of the day in all cases.

Just look at minimum wages in Cali compared to other states.
Minimum wage is pointless and just prices people out of the workforce. It's basically just setting a bar at what the minimum amount of skill required to be hired is, kicking low skilled workers to the street.

People complain you can't live off minimum, I say you shouldn't be able to live off minimum and it's there for the first time jobs kids get
Again, I don't think there should be a minimum wage at all, but I generally agree that entry level positions are there for people like high school kids to have some spending money and learn work ethics, not to live off of.

HOWEVER.

In many areas, you definitely CAN live off of a full time minimum wage job. You're not going to be living in luxury, but you're not going to even remotely starve or be homeless either.

I'd say I'm not the average Tesla driver because our car pretty much sits in the garage 4-5 days a week since we have 3 other vehicles to drive and one of them is more efficient, amazing to maneuver, and fits into tight spots around our small coastal town (Fiat 500e). So our classic Model S is pretty much used for when we need to a) take a passenger, b) travel a distance further than 30 miles one-way, c) haul something that is under 600lbs (have an old Silverado Duramax for big and heavy stuff), d) because it's been awhile and cars are generally happiest being used. As a result, about 33% of our miles are road-trips where we use the Superchargers which comes out to about 4K Supercharged miles per year. I think we've used paid public chargers for the Fiat maybe 10K of the 83K miles it has on it.

So while free Supercharging is a great way to sell Teslas, the value isn't there for me so much but I'm glad I have it. In my opinion, Tesla could offer "X" amount of free Supercharging to any owner at any time to dangle the carrot so to speak. For me, 4K miles a year of free Supercharging is just as useful as FUSC. I know others will vary.

I think California gets a bum rap from those who don't live here. Is it perfect - no, but I like it a lot better than other places in the USA. If you want snow, you can drive to it, but you don't have to live in it. I like not being flooded, hurricaned, tornadod every year. The weather makes it pleasant in most places here year-round without the humidity and bugs. As for costs, there are many areas in California with reasonable costs (and quite a few that many find unreasonable too - just like other states). Some areas do get a rare earthquake, so we do have that.

As for thefts, not something I worry at all about. If you park a luxury car in a bad area (yes we have a few of those, just like any other city), with your laptop and other valuables, you do increase your risks of a break-in. Avoiding those areas, which is quite easy, eliminates 99.99% of the risk. I'm not sure there is any place in any state or country that is 100% risk-free. You evaluate the risks and costs, and if they are acceptable to you - live where you want and enjoy it. If not consider moving!

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled rants...

This is actually quite incorrect.

Why would I answer a question that's answered already by just looking at any of my posts? My city and state are right there in my profile.
View attachment 910047
Just FYI if you're on an android and probably an iPhone browser not in "desktop mode" you don't see that.

Just got your email response this week, I will be following up soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Videomatic3
For EU MS/MX owners willing to uograde to 100kWh pack - seems like they have another 5pcs, so you can ask for a quote if interested ;) Tesla Model S Battery Pack 100kWh

I'm considering to do this upgrade to my 2015 P85DL MCU2, It has been a while since you did yours from what I gather, di you have any issues with supercharging or at yearly inspection with the new model identification? Romania still the only place where this is done?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Regards
AF

I'm considering to do this upgrade to my 2015 P85DL MCU2, It has been a while since you did yours from what I gather, di you have any issues with supercharging or at yearly inspection with the new model identification? Romania still the only place where this is done?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Regards
AF
Hi, no issues with the battery so far, SuC speed still normal for my config. What do you mean by yearly inspection? I don't go to Tesla for service if you mean this. No, Romania is not the only one. I have found also EVclinic shop from Zagreb, Croatia. They're also willing to perform such upgrade + many other interesting services like preventive battery dehumidify or LDU reman process and so on. Good luck!

@ResHacker ,

Hace you had any problems with updates? Or have you "been detected" by Tesla and suffer any consequence after the upgrade?

I have been checking out EVShop myself and would like to know if you have notice any down side after the upgrade.

Cheers!
Hi, no problems with updates as the car is now identified simply as "100D" according to its firmware. Also no contact from Tesla so far :D There might just be a problem when requesting some service from Tesla I have heard, but not sure about it, never tried it since.
If you think about it, try to get offer also from https://evclinic.eu/. Good luck!