Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-facelift 85D => 100D upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has to be updated also the firmware of the car to the "100D" version...And yes, this is done in factory mode, Tesla toolbox sw used.
Hi, I'm impressed wth an update you've done to your Tesla. I currently own a RWD Model S and am on the market for a 90kwh battery. Was wondering if I can potentially procure a battery from the Dual motor Tesla or it has to be RWD just like mine is?

Hi, I'm impressed wth an update you've done to your Tesla. I currently own a RWD Model S and am on the market for a 90kwh battery. Was wondering if I can potentially procure a battery from the Dual motor Tesla or it has to be RWD just like mine is?
So far as I understood, it's just about the firmware needed for the specific car config. Therefore you can basically put any battery to any vehicle if the result config was being sold so the needed firmware is available. As 90kWh RWD exists, it should be not a problem at all. But there was no 100kWh RWD model, therefore this is not easily doable. Nevertheless @wk057 can such upgrade with some caveats (no further SW upgrades, ...) perform. From my pov it's a better idea to sell such vehicle for any D model best with air susp and then you can mount basically any battery to it ;)

From what I recall, the 100kwh battery pack is 100lbs(?) more heavy than the 85/90kwh pack, which, according to Tesla, affects the timing of airbag deployments in the event of a crash. Not sure if this is real, or just Tesla lies to scare people from upgrading.
Fortunately this is not the case. If 100lbs or even 500lbs meant your airbags won't work properly, there would have to be warnings all over in cars to not carry passengers.

Would like to keep the Signature model, and it does have an air suspension. Still wondering if the battery from Dual motor vehicle will fit my RWD.
Sure, so you can easily upgrade to 90kWh. 100 would be kind of tricky, but @wk057 can do it.
From what I recall, the 100kwh battery pack is 100lbs(?) more heavy than the 85/90kwh pack, which, according to Tesla, affects the timing of airbag deployments in the event of a crash. Not sure if this is real, or just Tesla lies to scare people from upgrading.
This is a BS claimed by Tesla. No construction difference between 100D and older vehicles. But not sure how about an old signature MS... The weight difference is notable, but not significant.

Sure, so you can easily upgrade to 90kWh. 100 would be kind of tricky, but @wk057 can do it.
Yep. Keep in mind no upgrade is just drop-in and go. There's always changes that need to be done one place or another.
This is a BS claimed by Tesla. No construction difference between 100D and older vehicles. But not sure how about an old signature MS... The weight difference is notable, but not significant.
It's even worse actually. It's BS spread by a specific YouTuber who claims Tesla said it. I've found no evidence of Tesla ever even claiming such a thing.

In reality, the programming of the airbags in all vehicles of the same body (Model S, Model "S2" (2016 refresh), Model X, etc) are identical for the body type regardless of pack, motor type, or literally any other option on the car.

Yep. Keep in mind no upgrade is just drop-in and go. There's always changes that need to be done one place or another.

It's even worse actually. It's BS spread by a specific YouTuber who claims Tesla said it. I've found no evidence of Tesla ever even claiming such a thing.

In reality, the programming of the airbags in all vehicles of the same body (Model S, Model "S2" (2016 refresh), Model X, etc) are identical for the body type regardless of pack, motor type, or literally any other option on the car.
Glad, you did such research and dispersed out the rumors. And not for the first time...really appreciate that!

Reactions: wk057
Now I'm excited. Thanks for all the info, many questions answered.
I have a 2015 S85D, 120K miles, w/o air suspension. 100% charge is now ~240 mi range (down from 275 mi).
I'd like to upgrade to 100Kw pack.
My research shows 175# weight increase - about the same as my ex-girlfriend... :)
I don't see how that would significantly impact the ride/handling of my car.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
MDR

• Funny
Reactions: tesluv108
Now I'm excited. Thanks for all the info, many questions answered.
I have a 2015 S85D, 120K miles, w/o air suspension. 100% charge is now ~240 mi range (down from 275 mi).
I'd like to upgrade to 100Kw pack.
My research shows 175# weight increase - about the same as my ex-girlfriend... :)
I don't see how that would significantly impact the ride/handling of my car.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
MDR
Hi there, nice comparison though :D Yes, I believe it should be possible, however your current range is not that bad either. Weight difference isn't high also.. The biggest problem is to find a 100kWh pack in a good shape for a reasonable amount afterwards..

Hi there, nice comparison though :D Yes, I believe it should be possible, however your current range is not that bad either. Weight difference isn't high also.. The biggest problem is to find a 100kWh pack in a good shape for a reasonable amount afterwards..
The problem for me wasn't the range. It's the ridiculous amount of time it takes to get that range. 1 hour and 15 minutes for 10% to 90% was 216 rated miles
With the new 350v pack I can get 216 miles of range from 10% in 35 minutes
Of course a new s does that in 15 minutes...

Last edited:
True. I wish Tesla would offer the 100 as an upgrade.
Curious, what is your range with the 100 pack?
Didn't try it yet, expected in summer is up to 500km.
The problem for me wasn't the range. It's the ridiculous amount of time it takes to get that range. 1 hour and 15 minutes for 10% to 90% was 216 rated miles
With the new 350v pack I can get 216 miles of range from 10% in 35 minutes
Of course a new s does that in 15 minutes...
True, that was the main reason I upgraded. Sure the Plaid is twice that fast, but I want the free SuC ;)

Reactions: Videomatic3
I was quite shocked where Tesla is willing to go to get rid of cars with Free SuC.. Therefore I'm still not sure this benefit will remain in the future...
It would be a fully illegal breach of contract for them to just revoke it, which is exactly WHY they are offering such big money incentives to try to convince people to willingly give it up.

Reactions: outdoors
It would be a fully illegal breach of contract for them to just revoke it, which is exactly WHY they are offering such big money incentives to try to convince people to willingly give it up.
Yes, that's true.. Still wondering why this is so worth doing it for Tesla.. There're still plenty new cars going out to pay on Sch while the amount of old S and X is gettin lower and lower.. Why is it so painful for them?

Yes, that's true.. Still wondering why this is so worth doing it for Tesla.. There're still plenty new cars going out to pay on Sch while the amount of old S and X is gettin lower and lower.. Why is it so painful for them?
I don't know that it's really all that "painful", but it's like a "stop loss" situation. This is an ongoing loss of money that could continue on for many years. If they can do something to end it now with a fixed amount, that's net positive. Tying it into another new car sale is another benefit. And that's kind of the second factor here. While people still have this perk, it discourages people from trading up to new cars. They may be more likely to try to preserve this by getting aftermarket battery replacements and avoiding new car purchases to keep the current state of affairs.

Reactions: ResHacker
I don't know that it's really all that "painful", but it's like a "stop loss" situation. This is an ongoing loss of money that could continue on for many years. If they can do something to end it now with a fixed amount, that's net positive. Tying it into another new car sale is another benefit. And that's kind of the second factor here. While people still have this perk, it discourages people from trading up to new cars. They may be more likely to try to preserve this by getting aftermarket battery replacements and avoiding new car purchases to keep the current state of affairs.
Yes, that makes a sense. I'm not into economic, so don't understand the mechanics of it. But anyway, I'll try to keep the car as long as possible. Not just because Free SuC, but also because I like generally to keep my stuff as long as it serves me properly with acceptable maintenance effort and also as I like it ;)
And that's also one important point as I can't say I'd like any new Tesla car more even I could afford it. Many of the changes they have made makes it not interesting for me.
Maybe I would more likely go into another brand when considering a new car.