Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Refresh Tires for HEAVY RAIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I'm a pre-refresh Model X Long Range Plus owner living here in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains quite a lot. The stock tires aren't in need of replacement yet, but I thought I'd begin gathering information so I'm ready when the time comes.

What recommendations do folks have for tires that do well in the rain? Road noise (or lack thereof), range, and mileage are all important factors. I probably put on ~250 miles per week in a combination of highway and city driving.

I was at the local SC two days ago and asked my representative for a recommendation and his answer was pretty non-committal. "Just make sure the tire has an XL load rating" was pretty much the only concrete takeaway. I'm guessing this community can do better than that.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

What recommendations do folks have for tires that do well in the rain? Road noise (or lack thereof), range, and mileage are all important factors. I probably put on ~250 miles per week in a combination of highway and city driving.
People love these and it is what I have on my X currently. Just a couple days ago a friend told me how well his work in rain that he has been in.

R5CEyVg.jpg

My two cents. Any new tire is better than any half worn tire in standing water. Going fast enough you can hydroplane with a new tire. So really you are looking for wet breaking traction. CC2s are hard to beat here. They are a really compromise tire and true all season. That said they will not be as sticky in th dry. Definitely noisy under large accelerations.

I really can’t recommend a directional tread on a staggered setup. I was trying to diagnose my X pulling to the right. Tire shop said it’s probably a tire issue but we can’t tell which tire because we can’t swap them side to side. I have CC2s on my X now. CC suv tires lasted 14k miles. Fronts wore fast it was in range mode all 14k as it was new to me I didn’t know any better.

Get new tires replace before you are down to the west bars and slow down. Don’t think the tire choice has as much effect as the this two previous recommendations.