Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predict when we will be able to summon our cars three miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always been that in marketing at least since Tesla broke off with ME. "The Tesla Network 2020"... At least until FSD SUPERVISED.
Lots of wiggle room here but the written description on the order page changed as you know. Anyway no need to discuss here.

L3 not happening with current hardware. No actual summon, no nothing.

Reactions: spacecoin
OMG, *sigh*. I'll revise my statement again:

It's an L2 driver assist system today. It was always an L4/L5 driver assist system in the past, and it will never be more than an L2 driver assist system in the future.

There - does that make you happy? *sigh*
I’m not sure why the exasperation. There was a period where promises were insane. Just pointing it out.

It’s been described as an L2 system for a long time (just have to ignore Elon ranting and ravings which could easily be interpreted otherwise).

It will never come pick you up in any way (with some special supervised case exceptions etc. but not the topic here).

I’m not sure why the exasperation. There was a period where promises were insane. Just pointing it out.

It’s been described as an L2 system for a long time (just have to ignore Elon ranting and ravings which could easily be interpreted otherwise).

It will never come pick you up in any way (with some special supervised case exceptions etc. but not the topic here).
So my statement holds now? YAY!!!

Here's the hypothetical future situation: I take the express bus to Manhattan for a fun day. Only thing is, at night some of them don't run so I have to take a different bus back to Staten Island. It drops me off three miles from my house. I simply summon my Tesla to drive three miles to pick me up, on its own.

When do you think the earliest I'll be able to do this will be? A decade?
Never. In order for that level of automation the vehicle will require more expensive hardware such that it won't make sense for it to ever be on a consumer vehicle, only dedicated robotaxi vehicles.

Never. In order for that level of automation the vehicle will require more expensive hardware such that it won't make sense for it to ever be on a consumer vehicle, only dedicated robotaxi vehicles.
Agree that it will require more hardware, but not that it will be prohibitively expensive. Five years ago, Lidar units typically cost $10k - $100k; now they are just $1k for the same performance, and will get even cheaper.

The primary roadblock to Tesla adopting more comprehensive sensor suites (IMO) is not cost per new vehicle, but the fact that they’d be abandoning (and having to admit they’re abandoning) their existing fleet of millions of HW3/HW4 cars. Painful, but the longer they wait to bite this bullet, the more painful it will be when they eventually do.

Last edited:
Reactions: spacecoin