Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll"

In which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely agree with your last sentence!

However, we've gone down to one car, our model x. I, for one, cannot understand anyone wanting to own an ice vehicle as their only vehicle! You can always rent one of those gas guzzlers.

As to the time for making a trip, that is a good point. There is a little bit more time spent then. But, are you not on vacation! Do you really want to rush around all the time? And, since it saves you many hours over an entire year of your day-to-day life, isn't that still superior? I guess that's my point.

We have no problems at all on trips. And, getting there fastest is not always the best thing! We rather love the more relaxed pace nowadays. (though this car charges much faster than my old s did. In fact I sometimes have to hurry to get back to it before I start getting idle fees.)

I'd have to agree with you in one of the things though as well. All cars are really toys. Do we honestly need one? I just think it's worth having the one that I want! And besides, I can't stand the smelly garage. The hot exhaust and engine, the stench of gas, the oil. Not interested at all. I like my nice clean garage with my electric vehicles. Well, vehicle nowadays.
I have 1 ev and 3 ice cars. Each one provides a specific function. Just do not understand why I am being judged as to what works for my family, I sure am not judging folks that can make one EV work. But in todays world, ....

In today's world.... burning oil is widely known to be destructive to the environment. It has been know for a long time but finally the evidence is so clear that even a majority of people in the plutocracy-dominated US know it to be true.

Why would you be surprised that you are being "judged" when you have the means and knowledge to reduce your oil consumption but you don't?

I can be judgey. I don't judge when I see a person of modest means driving a 10 year old Camry. But I do judge when someone buys a new Range Rover. No one here is ignorant to the realities of wealth and options. You have options.

As far as someone owning a Model 3 as their only car for 2 people being in the top 1% - that is nuts. Most 1%ers I know think of the Model 3 as the "nannie's car". Heck most 5%ers would only get a 3 for their kids. A retired couple with a 3 as their one car? I would assume middle income - SS + a small nest egg.

Top 1% net worth in the US is $13.7 million per household. As a retired couple, net worth is the better measure than income. How many people do you know personally with that NW that have .5 cars per adult and that car is $40k new? And that car has been around for 7 years so value might be $15k. And of course, purchase cost doesn't tell the whole story since that is front loaded with an EV.

Our 3 was $43k back in 2019. I am thinking about $1k in supercharging, tires (1 set Kumhos) and a 12V battery since then. Solar charges it but we are in 11 cent land anyway. This year it will depreciate $4k or so. The average passenger vehicle on the road is probably over $2k depreciation/maintenance and over $2k in fuel costs.

Your argument about expensive toys doesn't wash (anymore). But the 1% comment is particularly rich. Should we ask you what a 1/2 gallon of milk costs?

Last edited:
It is a very very expensive toy. When 50% of the population does not have 500 bucks cash to pay for a car repair, you clearly are a 1%, and nothing wrong with that

I have 1 ev and 3 ice cars. Each one provides a specific function. Just do not understand why I am being judged as to what works for my family, I sure am not judging folks that can make one EV work. But in todays world, ....

I suppose that you can make an argument that ownership of any car is a luxury, albeit the way that transportation options work (or don't work) in North America, it is an obligatory luxury for many people in the U.S. and Canada, even those who have trouble affording it. I would note also that aside from a few bargain-basement vehicles, even ICE cars are pretty damn expensive these days. From a comparative perspective, the price of our Model 3 was reasonable, based on total cost of ownership. And as I said, it is our only car. Perhaps with your three ICE vehicles, you consider your EV to be a toy, but that is not the situation for me.

But I have an even more fundamental point to make. For a while, and especially over the past year, I have been hearing a lot of commentary on various media sources, even other than just from right-wing sources, where auto analysts are suggesting that EVs are 'just not ready yet' other than maybe for local commuting, and even then only if you have another non-EV as your main vehicle. As an example, I remember listening to one auto analyst recently on a major media platform who, while admitting that he did not drive an EV himself, said that he had 'heard from a guy' who owned a Tesla who had 'tried' to take a road trip and would never, ever try it again. What was funny was that my wife and I were listening to this on the radio while coming back from a totally painless road trip in our Model 3, something that we do all the time. Cleary there is a disconnect between the commentary and reality, at least as I have experienced it. Is it just ignorance, or is active, concerted, anti-EV disinformation? One way or the other, a lot of people are listening to this and believing it and I think that it is influencing purchasing decisions. The analyst on the radio program suggested that if people felt that they 'had to' go electric, they should limit themselves to hybrids. I looked up the auto analyst after getting back from the trip, and (surprise, surprise) he works for a publication with ties to the oil industry and legacy auto manufacturers, and regularly writes articles sowing doubts about EVs.

I will give an example of my own experience of a road trip I did just yesterday, albeit not a super long one. I drove from Ottawa to Toronto, a trip that I do back and forth very regularly in our Model 3 and that takes 4-5 hours, depending on traffic (traffic delays in and around Toronto can be quite bad). For yesterday's trip, I did have to take a 15 minute stop during which I topped up the battery. I might not have taken that stop if I had taken the trip in an ICE car. But so what? A 15 minute stop during a 4-5 hour trip is not exactly the end of the world and is certainly not something that would inspire me 'never again' take my Tesla on a trip. And here's the thing, I might not have 'had to' stop in an ICE vehicle, but I probably would have anyway. I had the dog with me who benefitted from a pee break and I grabbed a very quick snack. By the time I got back to Model 3 it had more than enough juice for the top up - I actually could have stopped for even shorter than 15 minutes from a strict recharging perspective, but that would not have given me enough time for the dog and the snack. Regardless, the brief stop was not a hardship. And even if I 'maybe' lost 15 minutes to recharging, I gain time in 'refuelling' my Tesla in other ways. I live in an urban environment where I am not near a gas station and the roads are regularly clogged. With an ICE vehicle (and I have owned them in the past), if I have to make a specific trip to refuel, it can take 20-30 minutes. With my Tesla, I just plug it in at home.

So yes, owning a Tesla - even as an only vehicle - is a practical choice for many applications. Maybe not yet for all people, and for all applications, but EVs are still developing.

Reactions: henderrj and CarlS
dude,
i have supercharged 292 times in 25 months

i have gone 45,766 miles on 12.470kwh,
10,363 from superchargers 83.1%, $3,659.86
2,107 from sunshine 16.9% $56.47 LCEC says it's worth 2.6 cents a kwh

only vehicle
cheers

Dude, thats great for you. You do what works for you, and leave me alone to use what works for me.
Of course you are free to do what you want, but can you please consider that in the USA 60% of the oil is used for TRANSPORTATION and that the current 365-day Global Temperature Deviation is 1.63 °C and is higher than the threshold of 1.5°C set by the Agreement of Paris?

Came across
today which also cited 46% and a McKinsey study. Text at Keller: Why are consumers turning their backs on electric vehicles? is largely the same as the video but the YouTube video didn't include this part:
"Atiyeh points out that the big automakers have backed off all their talk of switching to all-EV production, emphasizing hybrids and other brands that still use gas. The big question is: How much longer can we live with the environmental damage caused by internal combustion vehicles while waiting for consumers to fully adopt EVs? "

Reactions: CarlS
Hoping Volvo has the NACS adapter and backend payment system ready once the EX30 starts deliveries this summer.
The EX30 should be very popular.
ID4 and EX30 could be huge sellers this summer.
"Volvo EX30 Delayed In America Until 2025, Production Moving To Belgium
Volvo's affordable compact EX30 won't arrive this year after all. Blame the new tariffs on China-built EVs.
The compact electric Volvo EX30 won't be coming to the U.S. in 2024 after all.

A Volvo Cars USA spokesperson told InsideEVs today that the EX30's debut has been delayed to 2025 while the automaker moves production to Ghent, Belgium, instead of China, as was originally planned.

"Today Volvo Car USA is informing retailers and EX30 preorder customers that due to changes in the global automotive landscape, the U.S. introduction of the EX30 will be delayed while we ramp up production at our plant in Ghent, Belgium, with a 2025 target delivery date to be announced," the spokesperson said."

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and kpanda17