Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prem Audio vs Norm...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey

Just curious of others opinions... so my 2018MX has standard audio and I like it very much I’m no sound expert but I feel it’s pretty good quality. I was worried when reading in here that some people said it’s crap.

Now, I’ve got a 2017 MX with pup as a loaner and initially when I went to play the same sounds I was like “what’s wrong with this” checked all the settings where on normal and it was still the same.

After driving it for many many hours I’ve come to the conclusion that the sound defo has more bass and sound seems to be more front loaded like it’s all coming at you from the front and not around you like in my non pup.

Don’t get me wrong the sound it still amazing, listening to queen on 11 what’s not to love.

I’m just curious if others have been able to compare and what your thoughts are. I will no doubt get my car back and be all “this is crap” but we’ll see lol.

I believe the prem audio has more speakers... I wonder if they are all in the dashboard and foot well?

I think I’m now even more so convinced that I did the right thing not getting pup however I am loving the heated steering wheel.. but 5g for that is a bit much, maybe one day Tesla will allow me to buy the software to enable it on mine ;)

The standard audio on MX is pretty decent unlike the Model S. The general consensus is that standard audio on MX is on par with premium on MS.

Regardless both heated steering wheel and premium audio are all standard equipment (the whole premium package) now if you were to buy new.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
is your audio "run in" yet? When I was pondering whether standard audio was good enough (I'm no audiophile either, but we've had Bose-option in previous cars) I remember reading that "when new" its not as good as "when run in".

Hopefully someone will enlighten me if that is not-a-thing.

Ooo I don’t know... I had a Bose system in my Nissan before I got the MX and the MX sound is much better than the Nissan and that had a bass the size of a spare wheel, instead of a wheel lol.

I’ve done 3k miles so I’d say it’s run in.... but not sure what’s considered run in?

Usually it is called breaking in, and means that materials on speaker elements loosen up after some 20+ hours of use. I’d say you do need to be an audiophile to notice what changes, it is subtle, and it is typically more evident on larger elements like subwoofer. Some change more clearly and some don’t.

Usually, for music, it is desired that sound stage is in front. That’s how stereo sound is recorded and how the artists have intended to present it. Kind of as if the band was in front of you. There is nothing wrong with different preference though, and the standard nor the premium audio don’t produce a detailed feeling of presence and space, anyway.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I think the premium MX Audio is very good, but haven't heard the standard version to compare. I did drive an MS with standard audio and that was not in the same league with much thinner and uncontrolled bass. I have expensive taste in home audio with high end Naim gear so my reference for sound quality is pretty high. For in-car sound I think the MX premium audio with Spotify as the source is top notch without spending thousands on aftermarket upgrades. It has a nice clear and balanced presentation unlike say the Bose systems you get in Porsche which feel like the bass is totally detached from the rest of the sound.

Some people seem to prefer the sound with the Dolby surround disabled, but personally I much prefer it on unless listening to old recordings and then it can sometimes sound clearer without, especially vocals. But whatever your preference the Dolby setting makes a big difference to the presentation. Dolby switched off really does push the soundstage up front, but often loses depth to the bass, particularly on newer recordings. Whether or not it gives an accurate soundstage is not so important to me. I just like the way it sounds and my wife is a big fan of this system too it has to be said! Our two girls call it the mobile disco!

For what it's worth, I got my S in September and it was ordered before the change to PUP being standard, so I have (presumably) the standard audio. The audio was the only real thing in the PUP that appealed to me and at £5k that seemed way way over the odds given what could be bought aftermarket for that sort of money.

That said, and with not having heard any other Tesla systems at all, the standard audio is a night and day improvement over the standard audio offering in the 15 plate 5 series we owned before and I think it would do it a definite disservice to call it crap in the context of car audio which is quite frankly always compromised to some extent.

When all was new and I had more time with my original Model S I measured the standard audio and found that it measured very well.

Used Power Tools Test tone from my iPhones and a good old Radio Shack SPL meter on the standard audio system of my Model S. Bass response was surprisingly flat to just below 40Hz after below which it drops of a cliff. EQ was set flat at 0db. Will check with ful spectrum Room EQ from the laptop when I get some time, but sure doesn't look like the Ultra hi if sub is necessary at least from freq response standpoint.
Standard Audio System - surprisingly good

Looks like they had set it up well for a flat response as opposed to a Bose-like FAT bass response. Of course, when you drive you do need to compensate for road noise.

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
That said, and with not having heard any other Tesla systems at all, the standard audio is a night and day improvement over the standard audio offering in the 15 plate 5 series we owned before and I think it would do it a definite disservice to call it crap in the context of car audio which is quite frankly always compromised to some extent.

From my brief experience with the Model S standard audio I would agree with this. It's really not too bad and better than many other standard systems in equivalent cars. But the MX premium audio is really a LOT better. It was the first thing I noticed and my wife picked up on it instantly too. The MX premium audio simply has a much fuller and richer sound right across the spectrum and especially at the lower end, without being overblown. It really has a nice balanced and detailed sound with flat EQ settings and Dolby Surround on. The sound seems optimised for Spotify streaming too, other sources are not quite so impressive. What I noticed with the standard MS audio was that the bass went very muddy at high volume levels, where the premium MX audio just sounds more and more impressive as you wind it up. I don't think I've heard the standard MX audio, so can't make that comparison. If I was to give them scores out of 10, I would give the MS standard audio 6 and the MX premium a full 10! I think you would have to spend a lot of money on aftermarket audio to see much of an improvement.

Of course, when you drive you do need to compensate for road noise.

It never ceases to amaze me how road noise affects your perception of bass compared to higher frequencies. Which is why I think the sub is so important in a car system. The trick is to integrate it into the rest of the system and I think Tesla did a good job here compared to those awful sounding Bose systems you get in Porsche etc.

Truly wish the MS had better sound insulation against road noise/traffic noise and include double glazed windows like in other cars. Can't really enjoy the premium sound system to be honest.

Sounds good in theory, but the MS is already heavy enough without adding even more weight, especially high up in the car. I think actually Tesla made a good compromise in this regard, unlike Merc who seem to have made their EQC seriously heavy. But I'm sure it will be quiet while dragging its considerable inefficient ass around!

Hey has anyone noticed that V9 now doesn't appear to have the Dolby Surround check box. This seems to have been replaced by a 3 setting "immersive sound" option i.e. off, standard, high. I've only had a very quick play with these new settings, but it doesn't seem to do very much, so I'm wondering if it's even been enabled yet? I could have sworn the Dolby option was still there when I first upgraded to V9, but not anymore and I haven't had a firmware update since (I went straight to V9 42.3 from V8 a few weeks ago). So I'm a bit puzzled. Sound seems unchanged from my previous settings with Dolby enabled, but not 100% sure on that.

The issue for me is the low frequency boom that is likely the result of the open aluminum superstructure over a stiff battery skateboard. Much worse (like 2x) with my 21" wheels/low profile tires compared to the 19" ones on my previous MS.
I found out, to my surprise, that at least some of the boom comes from the dashboard.

I wrapped the wood trims, and decided that while at it, I’ll felt tape and deaden the panels a bit. I expected this to simply prevent future rattles, which I didn’t have at that point.

I was surprised that this changes the sound scene of front compartment. I would have used sound absorbing material as well, if I had known, but just applying bits of alubutyl for deadening and taping every single clip touch surface, had effect. Most effect was on sound system bass quality, but road noise toned down too. Warning: this is not a small job. I used 5 meters of felt tape, mostly in a few mm bits. About 20 hours for first timer, including wrapping.

I think it is because the dash is quite hollow. There is probably 100+ liters of empty space to work as a passive loudspeaker for resonance. The panels are not especially rigid, just plastic with (sturdy) clips.

After that, front tires became more apparent noise source. I removed inside wheel arches and deadened (and at this point got some absorbing closed cell stuff as well) all metal surfaces in the well and arch. There was some material already here so Tesla acknowledges the same, but this was easy to improve. This was maybe 6 hours.

A further booming source could be the frunk area, as there is plenty of hollow space here, especially if you have RWD.

Now I am quite happy with results. Every car should come like this from the factory. My car is mid 2017, and has already silencing material from the factory on firewall and floors, which I cannot find on many of the teardown videos I studied.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
Hey has anyone noticed that V9 now doesn't appear to have the Dolby Surround check box. This seems to have been replaced by a 3 setting "immersive sound" option i.e. off, standard, high. I've only had a very quick play with these new settings, but it doesn't seem to do very much, so I'm wondering if it's even been enabled yet? I could have sworn the Dolby option was still there when I first upgraded to V9, but not anymore and I haven't had a firmware update since (I went straight to V9 42.3 from V8 a few weeks ago). So I'm a bit puzzled. Sound seems unchanged from my previous settings with Dolby enabled, but not 100% sure on that.

Hey. I’ve got it in my loaner it’s a 2027 MX the Dolby slider is in the options section of the equalizer... and on v9