Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

premium connectivity expired quirk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost my premium a few months back. Don't need it now as very little driving, but when I do go out, I am on wifi, so I pick a Spotify playlist. I It starts playing and I drive away. I am well past my wifi, but it plays until the end of the song before I get the message that I have to pay from premium. I guess maybe it polls after each song?
Well, today I tried something different. Before the song ended, I hit hit left scroll wheel to go to the next song and it did. I did this for 5 songs before I reached my destination. It even went to the next song on it's own, then I got out of the car.
At first It thought maybe Telsa is giving everyone a free week around Thanksgiving (haha). I got back in my car after my shopping and had the message about premium.
So, I can understand the one song until it ends, but I do not know why I got all those today just by hitting the next button.
Anyone else experience this?

If it's playing the songs and you're not at your house it's because it download at home when on your Wifi. It doesn't play because your wifi drops.

If you have an iPhone you can use your phone's tether as wifi if you'd like and just have that on when you drive if you don't want to pay for premium connect. You can fake the car out to think your phone is a wifi hub.

If this is confusing feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it.

If it's playing the songs and you're not at your house it's because it download at home when on your Wifi. It doesn't play because your wifi drops.

If you have an iPhone you can use your phone's tether as wifi if you'd like and just have that on when you drive if you don't want to pay for premium connect. You can fake the car out to think your phone is a wifi hub.

If this is confusing feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it.

I know how to tether, but what you say doesn't sound right. Spotify is a streaming service, not a download service. Like I said, I can understand why the first songs plays as it started on wifi, but why was I able to get 5 songs?
And what did you mean "it doesn't play because your wifi drops?"
Based on my observation (which is wrong), I can start Spotify at home and then continue the free streaming until I turn off my car. Maybe I am the only one that this happens to. I was hoping someone else would write with their experience. I should have changed the subject of the post to "does this happen to anyone?" or something like this.

I know how to tether, but what you say doesn't sound right. Spotify is a streaming service, not a download service. Like I said, I can understand why the first songs plays as it started on wifi, but why was I able to get 5 songs?
Based on my observation (which is wrong), I can start Spotify at home and then continue the free streaming until I turn off my car. Maybe I am the only one that this happens to. I was hoping someone else would write with their experience. I should have changed the subject of the post to "does this happen to anyone?" or something like this.

I have made a much longer trip now and Spotify is still playing until I exit my car. I wonder if I can drive for hours with this kind of experience. I'd like to know if I am lucky, or this is how it happens to others.

Hi there, if you have Spotify you can download songs you like and they'll play even when you don't have phone/wifi signal as they're downloaded to wherever your Spotify storage is on your phone. Nice and late but thought I'd give it a reply.

Hi there, if you have Spotify you can download songs you like and they'll play even when you don't have phone/wifi signal as they're downloaded to wherever your Spotify storage is on your phone. Nice and late but thought I'd give it a reply.
You didn't pay attention. I have said this multiple times now. I start spotify in the Tesla while on wifi. I drive away from my house and spotify still works until I turn of the car. I don't even have my phone on me. I am using the key card. Spotify will continue. I have driven 30 minutes and can still access spotify. I guess I am the only one as not a single person has confirmed this.