Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity vs Standard Connectivity + Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I'm in the UK. My premium connectivity trial is about to end. Tesla say that satellite maps and live traffic visualisation is not available with standard connectivity even if using a hotspot in the car. I tested this and the car was displaying both these features when connected to my phone as a hotspot.

Does anyone know if Tesla are wrong, or is it just that the car knows I currently have premium connectivity whether I'm connected to Tesla's cellular or my own hotspot? I don't want to pay £9.99 a month unless really necessary.

Cheers!

Hi. I'm in the UK. My premium connectivity trial is about to end. Tesla say that satellite maps and live traffic visualisation is not available with standard connectivity even if using a hotspot in the car. I tested this and the car was displaying both these features when connected to my phone as a hotspot.

Does anyone know if Tesla are wrong, or is it just that the car knows I currently have premium connectivity whether I'm connected to Tesla's cellular or my own hotspot? I don't want to pay £9.99 a month unless really necessary.

Cheers!
They aren't even available to turn on/off if you don't have the premium connectivity package. You were only seeing it because you still have the package, it has nothing to do with if you were on wifi/hotspot or not.

I am also in the UK and have let my premium connectivity expire. Although the Live Traffic Visualisation is missing, the Sat Nav still takes traffic into account when plotting a route. I thought that was worth pointing out.
Cheers for that. I'd read that somewhere. I've decided to subscribe as I do quite like having the satellite map with the traffic visualisation but I do think it's a bit of a con that you can't have them if you connect to your own hotspot. It's a fairly recent update that allowed you to stay connected to a hotspot while in "drive" so it's probably because originally they didn't want you streaming satellite images on their network for free. Don't see why they won't let the live traffic visualisation work though, if it knows the information for routing purposes.