Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Premium Connectivity - Is it really wort it ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my premium connectivity dropped out so I was forced to use my phones hotspot to allow the car to connect. This got me thinking. Is the cars £10 month Premium connectivity worth it given that I could use my cellular Connectivity (hotspot) instead. Im thikning more coverage etc.

This morning my premium connectivity dropped out so I was forced to use my phones hotspot to allow the car to connect. This got me thinking. Is the cars £10 month Premium connectivity worth it given that I could use my cellular Connectivity (hotspot) instead. Im thikning more coverage etc.
If you have a significant other who wants to flip to Netflix, the moment you leave the drives seat, consider your options carefully.

Reactions: Matt W
If you don’t use the inbuilt Spotify account, aren’t bothered about the traffic detail showing on the map or seeing the cameras remotely, it’s not really worth much. If you've your own spotify account and/or prefer one of the other music services, you can also use your phone as a hotspot.

Everyone has a different opinion on this, only you can really judge. I have never paid for it, but I did use some referral points to buy a years worth, so to me it's worth more than a few Tesla t-shirts, but less than £10 a month.

Reactions: Magstauk
I would see this as completely separate to whether I am saving money on running costs or not as that money could be literally used anywhere else, what I would say is if you feel you get good value from it then keep it. For me there was no point I already had hotspot data and the Spotify didn't work straight away, much easier streaming using Tidal with the hotspot

I also think if is just your car and you're the only driver, hotspotting would be something you could manage.
However, if someone else uses the car and isn't so techy but wants those options, that gets messy.
Wife won that one.

I canceled mine after 3 years expecting the M3P to be returned to the leasing company, they are dragging their heels on the new MY.

Despite having Spotify premium independently, I miss premium connectivity every day! Hotspotting is a PITA (with my iPhone 14PM at least) and I shall definitely be getting it on the MY if and when it arrives!

For me - yes. I cancelled my personal Spotify account (didn't realise the car had it's own included) so that helped towards it and don't need as much data on my phone contract now so turned that down too.
I can't argue with watching an episode of something on Netflx in the car - used it just yesterday while waiting in the carpark for my brothers flight to land or when I am charging.

We lost our premium connectivity for a couple of weeks whilst Tesla sorted out the ‘car includes premium connectivity’ vs ‘1 year free’ model for early Model 3 adopters.

The only thing we missed was traffic visualisations whilst sitting in a traffic jam. Wouldn’t have paid £10/m subscription for that even though it’s negligible cost.

Like many things it comes down to personal usage patterns and some view the car as an entertainment room more than I do so I am not tied in to benefiting from an integrated connectivity package. Happy just to listen to radio (or very occasional blast from Tidal) or family chat even though we have free Premium Connectivity.

Reactions: Rooster6655
i actually tried to run it with hot spot back when my premium 1 month expired. I even made an automation in android to start hot spot as soon as phone is connected to car's bluetooth.

I found that it was not connecting to hotspot consistently (I used to start driving already while it was not connected yet...) and after a week I just re-subscribed. I use my personal Spotify subscriprion as well, but purely just because my daughter uses Spotify quite extensivelly and I have a family plan

Reactions: WllXM
i actually tried to run it with hot spot back when my premium 1 month expired. I even made an automation in android to start hot spot as soon as phone is connected to car's bluetooth.

I found that it was not connecting to hotspot consistently (I used to start driving already while it was not connected yet...) and after a week I just re-subscribed. I use my personal Spotify subscriprion as well, but purely just because my daughter uses Spotify quite extensivelly and I have a family plan
Same here, I call it a convenience fee...
And I like using the Live View cameras as well... Now if Elon could train an AI model to send an alert for when the car sees parking wardens, that would even pay for itself...

IMO totally worthless.

I added it after almost a year without in advance of a road trip to Scotland, just to avoid having to link my phone hotspot every time and have the traffic colours on the map.

Result: the maps were incredibly slow to load and I had to revert to my hotspot. Apple Music was incredibly slow and buggy.

Tesla support refused to refund blaming EE, I actually had to charge them back via Amex. Shockingly poor service for an incredibly poor product.

Also, if you care about sound quality, it is better to stream Spotify from a recent phone via BT than using the built in app.

Reactions: Rooster6655