Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t drive my car over the weekend. It had said December 31, 2019 would stop. It didn’t. I went to the car this morning and wham, no Satellite pictures, no 3g signal. Uhh oh..

took off for work and wham, 5 minutes later while crossing dumbarton bridge, satellite working, Slacker working, click of settings/software and the date is gone and logged into my account online. Whoop, unlimited for life!

not bad for a used 2014 P85+ with 40k miles for $39k back in may.

I should add: since used not CPO, here’s what’s been fixed in the time since May
- Du replacement cost $0
- door handles both front cost $0
- air stakes ($75/x4, because I noticed wear and tear while wrapping the chrome
- two twilights fogged up cost ($0)
- CF spoiler replaced due to being worn out from sun ($150 RPMtesla)
- tomorrow: belt lines trim fix, front passenger louvre, fixed sunroof glass stripping (cost will be $0 I hope)
-yes I took the car with no due bill and was in and out in <10 minutes on pickup. So far Tesla service has been baller and awesome to fix what goes wrong under my 2 yr extended warranty.

ahh well thanks for lifetime SC and slacker too, that second one was set to go away 4yrs right?

and thank god for a nice repair shop that can order me restricted parts. So RFS going back in this weekend. Woot! My car actually has gotten better since purchase!!!!!

Message me the shops info. That would be golden, I'm in the bay area also

The hotspot option using my iPhone works for me to keep getting Slacker radio. I don't get traffic or satellite maps which is a bit of a nuisance. Not sure it's a nuisance worth $10 per month though.

I'm wondering if getting a dedicated WiFi hotspot instead of the Tesla Premium Connectivity would be preferable?

In particular I could provide WiFi Internet to my passengers while diving or be able to receive live stream from my dash cam when parked.

The following video detail some of thoses advantages not provided by the Tesla Premium Connectivity.

So I'm one that is grandfathered into free premium connectivity. I got a call from my sales advisor the other day saying "we apologize for the confusion, but just to clarify, you're grandfathered into premium connectivity for the life of ownership of the car." However he explained, before we hung up, that this will not transfer to any other owner. Whether sold through Tesla or a private party. So just be aware that if you sell your grandfathered in model s with free premium connectivity, it will get lost to the new owner no matter what.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
So I'm one that is grandfathered into free premium connectivity. I got a call from my sales advisor the other day saying "we apologize for the confusion, but just to clarify, you're grandfathered into premium connectivity for the life of ownership of the car." However he explained, before we hung up, that this will not transfer to any other owner. Whether sold through Tesla or a private party. So just be aware that if you sell your grandfathered in model s with free premium connectivity, it will get lost to the new owner no matter what.
Hmmm, well I have not seen that published anywhere. Tesla really needs to get a handle on their publication of information that, to a sales person may seem counter to their sale, but would cover them in inevitable events such as this.

They clearly attempted to change policy, but did not exercise a very extensive internal or externally to support that change in policy. Training sales people on both the previous policy as well as the new policy is a must. Also, pricing should have been in place before the first announcement of the coming change in policy.

This seeming compromise should work since the very beginning of the Model S premium connectivity (live streaming and traffic updates) had limited (or some would consider wishy washy) promise into the future - 7 years some would say, later became 4 years and then a starter of one year. Now only a month for new cars.

My question is when will Tesla the best of both worlds? Premium+, if you will. Premium connectivity with an option for in-car WiFi service like most GM vehicles.

Your sales rep messed up. It definitely contradicts the website and my sales rep told me the opposite during a call on Friday. The site clearly says it will remain when transferred or sold privately.

Connectivity
How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

Your sales rep messed up. It definitely contradicts the website and my sales rep told me the opposite during a call on Friday. The site clearly says it will remain when transferred or sold privately.

Connectivity
How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.
Thank you for clarifying. I missed that on the site, and obviously my sales advisor was way off. Good to know the information i got is/was wrong.

Well I signed up for premium connectivity on Jan 2nd with my credit card, and assumed it would auto renew each month, but today as I was driving I got a message that said your premium connectivity has ended. It was even 30 days for one thing and two why didn't it auto renew? I had to go back into the website and buy it again, this time it still says auto renew but we'll see if it does it. Anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: Baszil
I created a service appointment, they texted me the same day.

Yesterday it broke and I had no streaming, live traffic or satellite view despite rebooting twice.

But it was working after a reboot this morning.

Frustrating that they can’t fix it immediately and that it seemed to take overnight but everything looks good now. Both in-car and on the Tesla.com site.

Reactions: Mhoepfin
I created a service appointment, they texted me the same day.

Yesterday it broke and I had no streaming, live traffic or satellite view despite rebooting twice.

But it was working after a reboot this morning.

Frustrating that they can’t fix it immediately and that it seemed to take overnight but everything looks good now. Both in-car and on the Tesla.com site.
Same exact thing with me.

I subscribed 12/30/19.

Took 16 days to finally kick in on 1/14 and only after having to subscribe 3 times and get charged 3 times.

Mine quit working 1/31/19 and now back on standard even though it used to say auto renew every 14th of the month. Now it shows expires 2/14/20 but quit working 2 weeks before expiration.

Customer service is zero help. It seems I have 2 ghost subscriptions that are interfering. No one can fix and I never got refund of multiple charges.

Sounds like opening a service request on app is the solution? Anyone else in same situation?