Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So can we use our phones as a wifi hotspot now that premium connectivity is no longer free? or does it still disconnect from WiFi once you put the car in drive?
I believe it still disconnects. I did some testing on my moms M3 after her premium stopped working and when using hot spot, slacker still was working for her so it's not tied to premium connectivity outside of having data it appears.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
My apologies if this question is in the wrong thread, but has anyone been tried to pay for premium connectivity using Tesla credit from the referral program ? (I have a Tesla credit from a past solar referral). Haven't been able to send Tesla a question through my account (looked quite thoroughly) and getting someone on the phone seems like a near impossibility. Thanks!

I have the same question regarding solar referral credit. I've attempted to contact Tesla via email and I'm waiting for the same answer. Please follow up if you hear anything back, and I'll do the same.

It is clear that Tesla did a poor job of communicating how they were going to deal with connectivity. When I purchased my first Model S in 2015, I was told that free connectivity would likely be limited to a year. This was a verbal communication from sales. However it continued for as long as I owned the car. When I purchased my current 100D as an inventory car in September 2018 (February 2018 build), I was told again that free connectivity would last a year. I remember seeing this in writing somewhere but don’t see it in my purchase agreement. Personally I fully expected Tesla to do this at some point. To pay for connectivity for the early cars, as they were building the brand makes sense. Doing it forever when there are now 300,000 plus vehicles delivered per year does not make sense economically. I feel $10/month is a reasonable price to pay for this benefit.

So can we use our phones as a wifi hotspot now that premium connectivity is no longer free? or does it still disconnect from WiFi once you put the car in drive?

You can use phone hot spot, but it only works for web browser and streaming media. Navigation traffic and I believe satellite view are not supported unless you have Premium Connectivity.

Progress!

for anyone that’s getting the error message, make sure to check your payment info in your account. Mine was missing some info for some reason even thought it was previously used for other transactions.

Edited payment info and upgrade payment finally went through.

It is clear that Tesla did a poor job of communicating how they were going to deal with connectivity. When I purchased my first Model S in 2015, I was told that free connectivity would likely be limited to a year. This was a verbal communication from sales. However it continued for as long as I owned the car. When I purchased my current 100D as an inventory car in September 2018 (February 2018 build), I was told again that free connectivity would last a year. I remember seeing this in writing somewhere but don’t see it in my purchase agreement. Personally I fully expected Tesla to do this at some point. To pay for connectivity for the early cars, as they were building the brand makes sense. Doing it forever when there are now 300,000 plus vehicles delivered per year does not make sense economically. I feel $10/month is a reasonable price to pay for this benefit.
Unless you were told free premium connectivity for the duration of ownership, of course, like some of us.

Agree 100% with everything you said. I'm totally cool with Tesla making the change and think $10 a month is a fair price as well; especially for the newer cars that can take advantage of all the features. I don't think anyone who has complained about premium connectivity was complaining about the price.

The thing here was that Tesla needs to actually make the policy public, make sure purchasers are aware of it and agree to it before they buy. If they do that, wonderful. The issue in this case was simply, they didn't. And therefore can't legally apply the policy to vehicles that were purchased before it was created.

I think this same case applied with the prior verbal statements that Tesla has given in the past saying that connectivity would be limited after a certain number of years (which is why everyone who purchased before July 2018 has grandfathered for life). They ended up not being able to enforce that because it was not a policy that existed or was agreed to at the time of purchase for the owners of those vehicles.

Last edited:
2AE860C6-327F-4A4C-9526-99F12D45E957.jpeg

Nothing’s changed about that. It still disconnects from WiFi once you put it in drive, but you can always go back and select the WiFi network again. It’s a little annoying but doable. My big question is whether doing that will re-enable Spotify streaming ability if you have standard connectivity. I’m guessing Slacker is right out since Tesla pays for that but since we bring our own Spotify accounts, one would think we could still stream through the car app if we also brought our own data. I’d love for someone who has reverted to standard connectivity to try this out (I’ve dodged the bullet so far...)

Edit: I was in a time warp and didn’t see later replies, including this answer:
I was driving with my phone as a hotspot with Spotify working however the traffic doesn’t work on the maps

It's official!

Connectivity

All used cars purchased before January 8th, 2020 are grandfathered in.

Tesla's used website is also updated showing that the used cars come with a 30 day trial if purchased today.

Good on Tesla for fixing this.
That part is good, now they have to fix the accounts of those used cars purchased 2020-01-08 and before to not charge for premium again and refund the $9.99 plus tax of those who paid. My account still shows:
Premium Connectivity
$9.99/mo
Renews: February 4, 2020

Awesome!!
Tesla said:
What type of connectivity will my used Tesla come with?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have Premium Connectivity at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.

• Love
Reactions: iRia
Terrific news for owners of used MCU2 cars (what few there are) who are really getting a lot for nothing. Pretty good for owners of used MCU1 cars who can continue to stream music with impunity and be mildly amused by pretty satellite imagery. I think if I were forced to pay, I would do it in a heartbeat if I had a MCU2 car, and would probably not do it for my MCU1 car (can always just stream music through my phone, but I like the one-stop-shopping of the built-in apps).

That part is good, now they have to fix the accounts of those used cars purchased 2020-01-08 and before to not charge for premium again and refund the $9.99 plus tax of those who paid. My account still shows:
Premium Connectivity
$9.99/mo
Yes in the same boat. I don’t have a lot of faith that they will somehow go in and retroactively deal with this.

• Love
Premium Connectivity
$9.99/mo
Yes in the same boat. I don’t have a lot of faith that they will somehow go in and retroactively deal with this.

Worst case scenario, you cancel it, Tesla keeps your $10, but you contact Support to reinstate, citing the new website. You're out $10, but you also agreed to pay $10 a month for a service you are now getting for free, so not too bad a deal.

All of us who didn't pay for it however still show "Standard Connectivity" with the option to upgrade on the website, and our cars still show Premium Connectivity expiring December 31st. So there will definitely need to be an update to get everything all on track. I haven't even been contacted by Tesla yet about my complaint, the changes to their site just went live last night.

As I figured, they couldn't even enforce the December policy change for purchases after that date because it was cited nowhere on their used site, and that page was also only accessible by direct link. Whoever bought a car between December and now really scored if they knew ahead of time of the new policy. There is also potential for used 2019 cars (ones who were originally sold with paid connectivity) to get grandfathered in through this loophole.

Last edited:
New October 2018 LR model 3.

Subscribed to premium 12/30/19, payment debited from checking 1/7/20.

Premium quit working the 3rd or 4th of this month.

Tesla account showed i wasn’t subscribed Anymore even though I paid and it has come out of my account. I subscribed again yesterday. Shows “Payment Pending” currently.

I’m going to try full Tesla website from desktop and see if it’s any different from mobile site.

anyone in this situation been able to figure it out?