Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium vs Upgraded audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I want to buy a SR+ Model 3, but, was wondering how big of a difference is between the premium audio and the SR+ audio. I am an audiophile who listens to a lot of music in the car.
Also, is it true that the speakers on the rear passenger doors don't work?

Hi All,

I want to buy a SR+ Model 3, but, was wondering how big of a difference is between the premium audio and the SR+ audio. I am an audiophile who listens to a lot of music in the car.
Also, is it true that the speakers on the rear passenger doors don't work?

SR+ lacks in the rear. It's empty. My rear speakers on the doors have sound but I can't even hear anything from them unless I recline my seat back

It does sound good half volume or higher from the front, which is where you'll be mainly, but in a premium audio interior the rear/whole cabin is thumpin.

You can get used LR RWD's in the low $40,000's now

SR+ lacks in the rear. It's empty. My rear speakers on the doors have sound but I can't even hear anything from them unless I recline my seat back

It does sound good half volume or higher from the front, which is where you'll be mainly, but in a premium audio interior the rear/whole cabin is thumpin.

You can get used LR RWD's in the low $40,000's now

Everything Mr.X said. The SR+ is fine if you are the driver and have the audio half volume or higher. It lacks the bass and rear audio you get with the premium

HUGE difference. It’s honestly f*cked up!!! Tesla should offer it for all models.

The base audio on the SR+ is absolutely garbage!

it’s the only reason we will be upgrading my wife’s car next year. Otherwise we would keep it for a few years but the lack of proper sound makes for a crappy driving experience.

I would ignore this completely. It is still better than most cars on the road today. Sounds better than the premium audio I had in a Range Rover. For me, it sounds good in the driver seat, which is my main listening position and the only thing I care about. I suggest trying to hear it for yourself.

The audio in the SR+ is more than adequate. And it's sounds pretty good. The difference between the Premium Plus and what the SR+ has has is that it's missing the subwoofer, and the two rear deck speaker/the A pillar tweeters aren't connected but present. Other than that, it's using the same speakers. So the reports of the sound in the SR+ is just false and it's getting ridiculous it keeps getting called that.

To be honest, the Audi Q5 stock sound system (which didn't have a discrete subwoofer) I came from before owning a Model 3 craps all over the both the Premium (SR/SR+) and Premium Plus sound systems. So I had to adjust. I wouldn't let the sound system affect which trim of the Model 3 you'd buy because as an audiophile, you would probably not be satisfied with either. At least the SR+ gives you more of an opportunity to do your own thing with the subwoofer and reconnect/swap out of the read deck speakers if desired.

well, if wiring up the extra speakers causes any problems the warranty won't cover those problems.

But it won't impact any unrelated aspects of the warranty.

Like "my front ball joints failed" can't be blamed on rewiring some speakers or adding a sub

But "my 12v battery failed" maybe could be.

Understood, thanks a lot for your patient replies. Just finished ordering my SR+

well, if wiring up the extra speakers causes any problems the warranty won't cover those problems.

But it won't impact any unrelated aspects of the warranty.

Like "my front ball joints failed" can't be blamed on rewiring some speakers or adding a sub

But "my 12v battery failed" maybe could be.

Are you 100% sure about that? I was thinking that is exactly what they would/could do. Reminds me of when people would make changes to their iPhone and Apple would refuse to service the phone even if the mod was completely unrelated (eg, jail breaking your phone and the battery failing).

Are you 100% sure about that?

Yes?

It's a pretty long standing federal law.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

FTC.GOV said:
Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No...

... The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part.

It goes on to note-

FTC.GOV said:
Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage

So unless they can show how adding a subwoofer killed your front ball joints they can't deny coverage for the second because you installed the first.

A
I was thinking that is exactly what they would/could do. Reminds me of when people would make changes to their iPhone and Apple would refuse to service the phone even if the mod was completely unrelated (eg, jail breaking your phone and the battery failing).

That's entirely different. It's totally possible jailbreaking and installing, say, a 3rd party power management software, could screw up your battery.

Yes?

It's a pretty long standing federal law.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

It goes on to note-

So unless they can show how adding a subwoofer killed your front ball joints they can't deny coverage for the second because you installed the first.

That's entirely different. It's totally possible jailbreaking and installing, say, a 3rd party power management software, could screw up your battery.

Thanks for the reply. Just to build on the apple thing. It could have been something as simple as a 3rd party screen repair and they would deny future repairs. They don't do this now, but did this for years.

Everything Mr.X said. The SR+ is fine if you are the driver and have the audio half volume or higher. It lacks the bass and rear audio you get with the premium

I would ignore this completely. It is still better than most cars on the road today. Sounds better than the premium audio I had in a Range Rover. For me, it sounds good in the driver seat, which is my main listening position and the only thing I care about. I suggest trying to hear it for yourself.

LOL

The sound quality on the SR+ is definitely NOT better than most premium cars on the road.
And most certainly not even comparable to any new Range Rover premium audio. What bogus fake news! To the OP... I highly suggest you listen to both before you purchase. We own a LR and an SR+. SR+ audio sounds very incomplete.

Reactions: polyphonic54