Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressing the Gear selector down didn't put the car into D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced this? It just happened to me, I pulled it down as usual to drive and nothing happened. I tried rebooting the car and it still didn't work. I finally tried to Summon the car to make her move forward and that worked to move and when I braked I was finally able to select Drive. It was pretty unnerving. I plan on calling support but have meetings all afternoon so I thought I would check here. Didn't find a thread on searching. Any ideas?

I've seen a couple of threads about this and funnily enough I'm sure I had this problem in a rental Model 3 last year but I just thought it was something I wasn't doing right at the time as it was the first time I'd driven a Tesla.

I can't shift into gear fast enough. Fix it.

Having issues lately shifting out of park
I have had the car now for 5 months and never experienced it before. It was a helpless feeling. 'When I pull on this lever my car is supposed to go....what other options do I have now?' I also had a friend in the car that was driving back to work after volunteering at a local literacy program. I am dumbfounded. (also before you know it the wait will be over and you will forget the wait)

I have had the car now for 5 months and never experienced it before. It was a helpless feeling. 'When I pull on this lever my car is supposed to go....what other options do I have now?' I also had a friend in the car that was driving back to work after volunteering at a local literacy program. I am dumbfounded. (also before you know it the wait will be over and you will forget the wait)

Yes, I was trying to move my rental into a parking space and it just wouldn't go into reverse. I didn't even know how to do a reset, so all I could do was keep trying and eventually it worked, but I felt a bit foolish at the time. Now I know...

Has anyone experienced this? It just happened to me, I pulled it down as usual to drive and nothing happened. I tried rebooting the car and it still didn't work. I finally tried to Summon the car to make her move forward and that worked to move and when I braked I was finally able to select Drive. It was pretty unnerving. I plan on calling support but have meetings all afternoon so I thought I would check here. Didn't find a thread on searching. Any ideas?

Foot was on the brake? Butt was down on the seat? Pulled the lever all the way down?

Might be worth scheduling an appointment for. I believe you can request a mobile diagnostic check. Save yourself the time of heading in to the service center.

Reactions: one true morty
Foot was on the brake? Butt was down on the seat? Pulled the lever all the way down?

Might be worth scheduling an appointment for. I believe you can request a mobile diagnostic check. Save yourself the time of heading in to the service center.
Yes. I was firmly seated, foot on the brake, pulled down, tried to put into R as well and it was just not registering. Mobile support is actually already coming on Monday to fix an error I am getting about the passenger seat.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
I’ve had it happen a few times, most concerningly when I was pulling a u turn with on coming traffic. Slight delay switching from R to D that I hadn’t accounted for. Now I don’t do that anymore (try a maneuver that requires the car to shift to drive Right Now) :)

I have been noticing this happening more frequently after the last update. Also, this happens to me only when I enter the car using the phone. Has never happened when I use the card to enter the car. Also wen it happens with the phone, if I put the card on the centre console, then the car moves into D or R as the case may be.

I have been noticing this happening more frequently after the last update. Also, this happens to me only when I enter the car using the phone. Has never happened when I use the card to enter the car. Also wen it happens with the phone, if I put the card on the centre console, then the car moves into D or R as the case may be.
Mobile support called me back and let me know that there are several issues that have been reported with the latest update and that there are JIRA tickets in for them so we should be expecting another firmware update soon with those fixes. 2 other things happened to me recently that are also reported - my car was 80 degrees and I had the keep temperature on after leaving the car set to Off and my backup camera stays dark for several seconds when I start reversing. Those will also be addressed he said. Thanks for the keycard suggestion. I do quite often forget about it as I predominantly use my phone to enter my car. Sometimes I don't even remember my purse as I can just use my phone, thank Goodness I haven't gotten burned because of that yet. I will have to be more diligent.

Are you using your phone to unlock the car and for drive authentication? If so, it is a good idea to unregister and re-register your phone after every software update. I had the same problem after updating to 2019.5.15. I unregistered the phone and registered the phone and everything is good now.

Are you using your phone to unlock the car and for drive authentication? If so, it is a good idea to unregister and re-register your phone after every software update. I had the same problem after updating to 2019.5.15. I unregistered the phone and registered the phone and everything is good now.
Doing that after each update is not a viable solution to an inherent problem. The phone key issue has been lingering for more than a year now and Tesla has to provide an interim solution like a keyfob until the phone key issue is resolved .