Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventing forum posts from becoming 'news'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since finding my forum posts quoted outside TMC, out of context, twice in recent weeks---most recently in the NY Times piece published yesterday---I've given some thought as to how I might be able to continue participating on this forum without having my musings cherry-picked by lazy journalists, without my consent.

The new sig block below is my first attempt. It may not stop anybody, but it gives me a leg to stand on if I complain to the publishers.

I do not really know if this can prevent a news outlet from printing forum posts. It doesn't seem like it should, and also, should something of such interest again come to the attention of a journalist like Broder, well then making note of the disclaimer will probably just seem more amusing to detractors and would probably make us look bad.

I understand steve's feeling on the matter, and it's why the 'Private' posts on TeslaMotors.com work well for such posting.

Now ultimately, I beleive positive or negative, there is nothing that should be "hidden", but I also understand that many people are intentionally or unintentionally looking for things that put Tesla/Model S in a bad light and taking things out of context. So yes, I have made private posts on TeslaMotors.com for the purpose stevezzzz describes.

Speaking as someone who has been into tech, software, and gaming things for a long time, growing pains with a new product, or especially an entirely new generation of products is normal and expected. It's almost the only way to do it, really.

The only thing I could think would possible prevent quoting out of context would be to lock down the forums to registered members only, and then in order to register, you must agree to a EULA that prevents you from quoting any text seen here in any other publication (but I think this would make us look bad). But even then, I don't think that would prevent a journalist from describing or paraphrasing a conversation on here anyways. It would be terribly against the public interest if simple disclaimers like this prevented the Press from talking about something.

Your only bet I think, is to allow hidden posts, viewable only by members who have been verified somehow, maybe as verified Tesla owners, or verified by post count or how long they have been registered or something. Or simply, don't post such topics here. Post them in a private thread on TeslaMotors.com.

Take the NYT copyright notices that were cited on the previous page as an example. This certainly has not prevented other news organizations in print, TV, web, or radio from quoting directly many things from NYT, norhas NYT tried to stop or sue anyone for doing so. Their copyright notice is meant to protect themselves from people trying to steal their content and claim it as their own or redistribute it in some unauthorized way, etc. It's not meant to stop people from quoting the NYT which would be silly. Aside from the fact that it would be very much against the public good, it wouldn't even be good for NYT itself.

Last edited:
> Since finding my forum posts quoted outside TMC, out of context, twice in recent weeks [steeeevez]

Steve, no good can come from googling oneself on a biweekly basis. :smile:

Oh, Ha! A few years back I Googled myself only to learn that I was a cybernonentity, so to protect my fragile sense of self worth I swore off the practice. :biggrin:

Mhh havn't read the small prints, but posting on forums normaly negates the copywrite of what you do post. So if you say something you don't want to be copied you have to do that over a link to a copywrited place and even then it might be hard to enforce.

I'm surprised that not more bad stuff from the forums getting printed. hell I would if I was anti-ev. Kinda like that toyota incident just when the US-Car-Industry had it's crisis ;)

I found it quiet surprising how fast Elon reacted to the NYT article. Sure the author wrot a false article and that's bad. But hell 2 Blogs in such a short notice? When so many 'real' problems stay unadress and all Forum members have to share their private e-mails for information about it? Teslas Information politics surely went downhill as they went public. Sure looking at the stock price behaving like a rabit jumping around they are probaby right, but it still sucks.

Since finding my forum posts quoted outside TMC, out of context, twice in recent weeks---most recently in the NY Times piece published yesterday---I've given some thought as to how I might be able to continue participating on this forum without having my musings cherry-picked by lazy journalists, without my consent.

The new sig block below is my first attempt. It may not stop anybody, but it gives me a leg to stand on if I complain to the publishers.
I like it and have added it as my sig.

I found it quiet surprising how fast Elon reacted to the NYT article. Sure the author wrot a false article and that's bad. But hell 2 Blogs in such a short notice? When so many 'real' problems stay unadress [...]

To a small and growing company, a really bad review is very much a "real problem" if it questions the viability of your product, leads to any amount of cancelled orders, and affects people's valuation or perceived chance of survival of your company. It's part of marketing. And addressing that particular problem takes very little in terms of resources and time, so I wouldn't think it's taking scarce resources away from any other real problems.

To a small and growing company, a really bad review is very much a "real problem" if it questions the viability of your product, leads to any amount of cancelled orders, and affects people's valuation or perceived chance of survival of your company. It's part of marketing. And addressing that particular problem takes very little in terms of resources and time, so I wouldn't think it's taking scarce resources away from any other real problems.

For someone who hasn't a demand problem that's just a minor thing ;). So seriously I do understand that such false articles has to be adressed. And it's of corse easy as this guy just lied about almost everything in his article. so of corse adressing it has no negative side effects what so ever.

If you take the energy consumption in cold weather while not plugged in. This was asked quiet a few times and the winterdriving thread is huge. No official word has gone out maybe with a table of what will happen (something like the energy consumption table while driving with different speeds and so on). Yes they are working on it with sleep mode and getting rid of the bug where it calculates a wrong milage when the pack is cold. So I certainly they try to make it right. But the reason I know about it is this forum and private experiments of the helpfull owners. I know communicating something like this is admiting in public that there is a problem wich is probably bad for stock price. On the other hand the information is public for everyone here and on their board and therefore is out and also in the stock price...

Also I'm a reservationholder too, and while my main concern is still the price, as it's more as I usualy spend on a car, the 2nd one was and is the energy loss in cold weather. So it's too one of the big factors if I'll finalize or not. Communication to the outside world and fixing things in the car are hardly the same resources so communicating better will not make the whole fixing progress slower. Probably it's wiser to do it their way, still I miss the times as they still worked on the roadser and had all those excellent blogs about their problems and what they are working on.

I was going to make my footer simple with a line like, "I lie" or "Everything I write is a lie."
Knowing that things that I say that are positive about Tesla or others would be exempt because regulars would know the truth in my sincerity Those new people trolling for negative quotes would have to take the line as gospel. Anyone can use the brief lines if they like. I went back to my resume quote which is pretty close.

For someone who hasn't a demand problem that's just a minor thing ;). So seriously I do understand that such false articles has to be adressed. And it's of corse easy as this guy just lied about almost everything in his article. so of corse adressing it has no negative side effects what so ever.

Your remarks appear to be self contradictory. You state that the Time articles is false and has to be addressed, yet you criticize Elon for promptly addressing the issue. How long to you think demand would remain high if Tesla failed to address misleading articles in major news outlets?

We are all interested in obtaining more information from Tesla regarding certain issues such as cold weather performance as soon as feasible, and we know Tesla is working on the "vampire" load issue, but frankly what does that have to do with Elon acting decisively to correct misinformation published in a major news source?

Larry