Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Check: 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - new to the forum and was hoping to get a bit of help on a P85+ that I'm looking at. Here are the details:

2013 P85+
40k miles
21" Grey Wheels
Pano Roof
Tech Package

Car looks clean overall. Planning to take a look at it very soon but wanted to be equipped with some pricing prior to making the trip to see the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adding a data point - My CPO 2013 P85+ with 33k was $56.8K last Dec. (loaded with 21s except for dual charger and RFS).

Usually, the cars you can find on EV-CPO are indicative of the market for that particular trim of Model S, but do not indicate the lowest price a CPO could be had for. For example, my car was never listed online as a CPO and thus never made it to an EV-CPO list, however I knew it was priced well due to the visibility I had of similar cars that we available at the time.

I've seen the 5k CPO premium thrown around here a bit and I think this assessment is fairly close, if not conservative based on personal experience. If you're buying through private party definitely look into the (less comprehensive but transferable) extended warranty that the original owner can purchase, verify that service bulletins have been performed, and inquire about commonly replaced items for '13 cars (door handles, drive units, updated rear applique, etc).

Hi Folks - thanks for the replies. Very helpful! There are a few P85+'s here in the Bay Area that are starting to creep towards the $50k range. Which is where I need to be if not slightly lower, to consider pulling the trigger.

I've read some really good things about the "+" package and how it handles much better than the non "+" which is why I'm targeting the P85+. Can anyone comment on whether the + is essentially worth $3-$5k more than the non +?

Hi Folks - thanks for the replies. Very helpful! There are a few P85+'s here in the Bay Area that are starting to creep towards the $50k range. Which is where I need to be if not slightly lower, to consider pulling the trigger.

I've read some really good things about the "+" package and how it handles much better than the non "+" which is why I'm targeting the P85+. Can anyone comment on whether the + is essentially worth $3-$5k more than the non +?

Basically what you get is a re-calibrated suspension. That cannot cost Tesla more than a few hundred dollars if that. A larger diameter sway bar may cost a few dollars more than a standard one. Different valving in the shocks not more than a few dollars.

Am I alone in thinking that a used P85 could be worth less than a comparable 85?

As the used market matures, less wealthy buyers are going to be more price and function sensitive. I wouldn't pay more for a car with less range and higher insurance costs. A standard 85 will still be way more powerful than anything a normal/average car owner has ever had.

Maybe I am reaching too far to think a P would be worth less, but I think being valued the same as a similar non-P, is plausible. There are going to be Prius owners looking at used Model S, for example. They are not going to pay more money for less range, generally speaking.

Not without great expense. It requires the replacement of several parts, some easy, some very hard. See this thread: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

It's subjective, but for me, yes, the + suspension is totally worth $5k. But to other people, it might be worth -$5k.

Exactly, what Hank said. Priorities make all the difference. It was worth it to me too, if you've driven anything with an M badge and liked it, you'll like the +.

I had friends question why I didn't "pony up" for a new AP2 equipped S60. My response "why would I pay more money (and depreciation) for a car with less options, range, and handling prowess just to have some hardware that could enable a feature I have no interest in?"

Reactions: HankLloydRight
That cannot cost Tesla more than a few hundred dollars if that. A larger diameter sway bar may cost a few dollars more than a standard one. Different valving in the shocks not more than a few dollars.

It's never about what it actually costs Tesla to produce/offer features. It's what the market will bear.

The lowest end Model S 75 is $63k. The loaded P100D is $171k, or 2.7 times as much as the 75kWh car. How much do you think it actually costs Tesla to make the P100D over the 75?

Reactions: KL670
Am I alone in thinking that a used P85 could be worth less than a comparable 85?

As the used market matures, less wealthy buyers are going to be more price and function sensitive. I wouldn't pay more for a car with less range and higher insurance costs. A standard 85 will still be way more powerful than anything a normal/average car owner has ever had.

Maybe I am reaching too far to think a P would be worth less, but I think being valued the same as a similar non-P, is plausible. There are going to be Prius owners looking at used Model S, for example. They are not going to pay more money for less range, generally speaking.
Ultimately market will determine if this ends up true, but I don't think it will. Put in another perspective, do you think a Mustang GT or Camaro SS will be worse less than their base model counterparts? Yes, those are ICE cars, but I think the correlation is accurate. They will have higher insurance rates and worse fuel economy. But you don't see them selling for less. People are still willing to pay more for more performance even with it's drawbacks.

Yes, the "hardcore" Prii users will not see the value in the P models and that is perfectly fine. Base 60, 70, 75, and 85 models will appeal more to them. There will still be people coming from more sporty cars such as BMW, Mercedes, etc..that the P models might appeal more to them as they are not as concerned on maxing the efficiency and range.