Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually they all do it. But its hidden from you because the MSRP doesn't change, they randomly do dealer and customer incentives. Tesla doesn't hide behind a dealer and fudge numbers, so all customers see the price changes, instead of having to haggle to get it.

Tesla does do special "incentives" on new inventory cars including "hidden" (not posted online) inventory cars, and not just demos with hundreds or thousands of miles. Not all new Teslas are sold at full MSRP and not all similar inventory cars are discounted equivalently. Some of these incentives can also be especially good at month or quarter end periods.

Reactions: outdoors
Oh man I picked up mine two days ago darn it! could have saved $3000.
If you are within the seven days, and it appears you are, they will most likely give you the difference. I picked up my Y PUP, Thursday July 10th. I emailed my advisor about getting $1,000.00 back. In the email I wrote or I can return it and order something else. For 1k I wouldn’t do it and might not even done it for 3k because I like the car so much but for less I could get a M3P and probably be equally as happy. However like I said for me it’s 1k but I am sympathetic to those who are looking at 3k or 5.6% of the sale price.

For me, the difference I’m feeling between Tesla dropping the price, and a traditional manufacturer dropping the price, is that Tesla sells at a fixed price, where the traditional sells at a “suggested” price. I would be upset if I had ‘recently’ (whatever that means, say a week or two) purchased a Tesla, they dropped the fixed price, and didn’t allow for a refund. I would not be upset (well, maybe a little haha!!) if I found out the traditional car I bought had a bigger rebate attached a week after I bought it, or if my buddy who’s an expert negotiator, got it for less. I’d just chalk it up to the system and move on.

I think of it this way: Retailers like Best Buy, etc where haggling over a price isn’t done (i.e. they sell at a fixed price) all have some form of price protection. If you buy something for $450, and next week it goes on sale for $400, they will give you the difference. You have to ask for the difference, of course, but they will give it to you as long as it’s within a stated time (14 days, 30 days, etc). This seems perfectly normal, and if the difference is big enough, I’ve done this many times over the years.

However, buy at a jewelry store, where haggling is definitely expected (like at a traditional dealership), and you expect that the price you pay is only valid at that moment...it can go up or down after you leave for a variety of factors (your negotiating skill, the jewelers inventory, sales for the month, etc). This also seems perfectly normal. You ‘pays your money and takes your chance’ as they say haha!!

I think that Tesla should honor the new fixed price for those who just recently took delivery. How recent, I couldn’t say exactly, but within seven to ten days of delivery seems perfectly reasonable.

For me, the difference I’m feeling between Tesla dropping the price, and a traditional manufacturer dropping the price, is that Tesla sells at a fixed price, where the traditional sells at a “suggested” price. I would be upset if I had ‘recently’ (whatever that means, say a week or two) purchased a Tesla, they dropped the fixed price, and didn’t allow for a refund. I would not be upset (well, maybe a little haha!!) if I found out the traditional car I bought had a bigger rebate attached a week after I bought it, or if my buddy who’s an expert negotiator, got it for less. I’d just chalk it up to the system and move on.

I think of it this way: Retailers like Best Buy, etc where haggling over a price isn’t done (i.e. they sell at a fixed price) all have some form of price protection. If you buy something for $450, and next week it goes on sale for $400, they will give you the difference. You have to ask for the difference, of course, but they will give it to you as long as it’s within a stated time (14 days, 30 days, etc). This seems perfectly normal, and if the difference is big enough, I’ve done this many times over the years.

However, buy at a jewelry store, where haggling is definitely expected (like at a traditional dealership), and you expect that the price you pay is only valid at that moment...it can go up or down after you leave for a variety of factors (your negotiating skill, the jewelers inventory, sales for the month, etc). This also seems perfectly normal. You ‘pays your money and takes your chance’ as they say haha!!

I think that Tesla should honor the new fixed price for those who just recently took delivery. How recent, I couldn’t say exactly, but within seven to ten days of delivery seems perfectly reasonable.
Often price rebates from retailers, like your Best Buy example, will price adjust during the return period. I think Tesla will do the same.

Tesla cut the price on the MS about 5k 3 months after I bought min win December. Would’ve loved to have but no way was it going to happen. Auto dealers will also discount more heavily aged inventory because of floor-plan financing. I get this is annoying but it is far from unique to Tesla. The method is different because the sales model is different (no dealers) but the result is similar.

If you think about it sometimes the other manufacturers even charge more than MSRP for the first batch of vehicles. Some dealerships will charge you 15k more for the C8 Corvette right now.

To stay competitive and in the lead on EVs Tesla will have to adjust prices or incentives quickly with demand. Tesla is even in competition with itself. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they have deals on inventory model 3s or Ys depending which is over stocked sometimes in the future.

Many of us are early adopters, and some of us considered cancelling the order cause of the unknown financial during and after covid. We kept the order in order to support Tesla. Tesla is not a car, it's the believe of a change to the right direction. So you pay to be early adopter, and pay for so many issues the car has (I have a PUP with fsd), but you accept it for the big picture/the change. When Tesla reduce price like that, is a big f u to their early adopters and biggest supporters (I mean, my license plate is "Tesla Y"). It is a wrong move, and you would never see something like that from companies like Apple-you want to keep your concept, so keep it, if you don't, you just another car.

Many of us are early adopters, and some of us considered cancelling the order cause of the unknown financial during and after covid. We kept the order in order to support Tesla. Tesla is not a car, it's the believe of a change to the right direction. So you pay to be early adopter, and pay for so many issues the car has (I have a PUP with fsd), but you accept it for the big picture/the change. When Tesla reduce price like that, is a big f u to their early adopters and biggest supporters (I mean, my license plate is "Tesla Y"). It is a wrong move, and you would never see something like that from companies like Apple-you want to keep your concept, so keep it, if you don't, you just another car.
I hope no one purchased a vehicle they don’t need / can’t afford / don’t want just to “support Tesla!”

but I agree with part of sentiment. The one time Apple adjusted price shortly after release (OG iPhone), they credited early adopters the difference.

Reactions: Zer0t

Agree, and it would only make sense for Tesla to honor price adjustments occurring within the 7 day return period if a customer asks. Otherwise, they may end up having to take the car back and resell it at a lower price anyway. Tesla may not want to put a "price adjustment" policy in writing because 1) they don't want to give the impression that price adjustments are common 2) they want to make it seem like more of a goodwill, aren't we so nice gesture and 3) some customers may not be aware of the price reduction or won’t think about trying to get a refund if it's not in writing.

Reactions: outdoors
If you think about it sometimes the other manufacturers even charge more than MSRP for the first batch of vehicles. Some dealerships will charge you 15k more for the C8 Corvette right now.

To stay competitive and in the lead on EVs Tesla will have to adjust prices or incentives quickly with demand. Tesla is even in competition with itself. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they have deals on inventory model 3s or Ys depending which is over stocked sometimes in the future.

Even private owners of Teslas and other makes have tried to sell their newly acquired, and now used, cars for above MSRP when they thought the market was there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

The MSRP is not necessarily gospel or reflective of the actual market at a given time which is why you see price adjustments. In a sense, Tesla was selling the newly released MY at $3k over market until they had to adjust the price recently.

Unless Tesla has changed in the past year, which I really doubt, they won't credit you if you've already taken delivery.

This happens every year - last year it happened to many of us with M3 orders in the Spring. I had to fully return the car and reorder it to capture the price difference. That was before they added a rule about not being able to order the same trim for a year. Yes, it sucks; however, it's quite common for Tesla.

tl;dr - I'd be shocked if you ever see any money if you've already taken possession.

Reactions: LevelHeaded
Unless Tesla has changed in the past year, which I really doubt, they won't credit you if you've already taken delivery.

This happens every year - last year it happened to many of us with M3 orders in the Spring. I had to fully return the car and reorder it to capture the price difference. That was before they added a rule about not being able to order the same trim for a year. Yes, it sucks; however, it's quite common for Tesla.

tl;dr - I'd be shocked if you ever see any money if you've already taken possession.
I got lucky selling my August 18 LRRWD 3 prior to early ‘19 price drop and after taking $7500 tax credit. Also, I returned my next M3 with 500 miles on the odo, so that prolly cost them some $.

This happens all the time with car sales, it's just that with the online sales model it's easy to see. At least it's transparent! All other manufacturers offer better lease deals by changing the "money factor" and residual values for leases, and offer various incentives to those who buy to move inventory from changing prices on option packages, cash back, etc... We're all spoiled by having such a open pricing structure with Tesla.

Chillax and enjoy your Y! If you're thinking anyone is getting money refunded that's an unreasonable pipe dream - where would you consider it fair to draw the line?

Anyway, just my thoughts from reading all the hand-wringing posts by people who think they've somehow been cheated. If you paid the price posted at the time you weren't....

How does the PUP get 11 more miles of range? I assume that's software... I really hope they push this out, my car is down to about 270 now.. really would like some extra miles please Tesla :)

Also this is a slap in the face to early adopters, I mean 3k drop in 4 months! Throw us a bone, maybe a free t-shirt come on.
Still better than $5k drop in Model S price drop, 6 weeks after I bought.

Reactions: Zer0t
Now that there is no advantage for ordering Full Self Driving with the car, when they give us the new price decrease and jack up FSD to $8,000, I wonder if it may be better to NOT get it with the car but order the unlock or software download later and possibly save the vehicle sales tax? Software purchased from one state to another usually has no sales tax...? That would save $540 in Florida, for example..?

I can’t agree more.

Now that there is no advantage for ordering Full Self Driving with the car, when they give us the new price decrease and jack up FSD to $8,000, I wonder if it may be better to NOT get it with the car but order the unlock or software download later and possibly save the vehicle sales tax? Software purchased from one state to another usually has no sales tax...? That would save $540 in Florida, for example..?
You’ll have to check in Florida but I believe in most cases, FSD is taxed regardless of having been delivered on the car or later. Something about Tesla not billing it as exclusively software/service.