Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices just Dropped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, one would think a multi-stage Pearl White would more difficult to service. Body shops charge more to repair it, more difficult to touch up and most other auto manufacturers have an up charge for multi-stage metallic paints when buying new.

The prices for the paint color are too high anyway. There should be no charge (just add it to the base price of the car) except for a small up-charge ($500) for special metallic colors that require multistage paint process.

You can buy a Dodge Challenger in 14 different colors. Granted, four of them are different shades of gray. :)

View attachment 430792

It might be more difficult to service, but Musk won’t really care about that if it’s coming out of customer pockets :p

There is speculation that the white Multi-Coat might not show as many defects or paint issues under close delivery inspections, thus it might make it a little more forgiving on the inspection side of things leaving the factory. (IE let more out without paint correction because they know customers won’t be able to see issues).

Also, who knows, maybe the white pigment is cheaper to produce or less maintenance of their paint systems compared to darker colors? Also maybe they found across the whole available line white was more popular then black so it was/is easier to share paint lines without having to change our colors or being on additional dedicated lines for black?

There could be a number of back end benefits that we don’t see on this, heck, they may just know it’ll boost sales x% because people now don’t have to pay extra for a color they want (white) and in the long run it’s better to sell more cars then making $1000-$1500 extra on less cars. Maybe women prefer lighter colors more and they’re trying to pull in more of a new demographic?

OR, maybe black is actually preferred and this is a way to now charge for something that was free. I’ve seen a lot of people thinking about moving to higher/more expensive trim since the price drop because it’s reachable in their budget now or seems like a much better value. However, it ultimately means more out of their pocket then they were planning to spend before... so as long as it’s profitable for Musk still he might be making MORE money from it. (Think if someone that was paying $1500 extra for white now saving $2500 because of the price cut and free white, now going to long range from SR+ isn’t $9k extra out of pocket, it’s $6500, which seems like a dang good value... but it’s sooo $6500 MORE then they were going to spend last week. I don’t doubt that these constant price changes are more then Musk just picking a number, they probably run statistical models and maybe even consult with physiologists on buying habits to figure out if it’ll actually drive sales higher)

I could now get a P3D (including set of winter tires) in base colour for a little less than what I paid for my blue non-P.
Am I annoyed? Not really, wasn't interested in the P to begin with anyway.

What I don't understand is why they made the pearl multi-coat white the new standard colour. The multi-coat red is still an expensive option. I thought the multi-coating process was what made it expensive. By that logic I wouldn't expect them to make a multi-coat colour standard. Especially as you now have to pay extra to get flat black. Weird, who would pay more for less?

It was possible they expect more people to pick something other than black. We might think black was so popular because it was the cheapest, but internally from research they might have found that customer PREFERRED the black, so now they’ll get more people picking a $750 upgrade option and thus actually drive sales. The painting process might actually be very similar in cost, especially since it doesn’t require man hours since it’s robotic. If white is more forgiving on noticing defects then the yield could be higher or require less man hours physical fixing painting mistakes after the fact. Then it’s not really more expensive for them, possibly a revenue driver if people like black, and less post painting correction for defects. I fully suspect the prices we see are demand based values, not anywhere near actual manufacturing costs.

It might be more difficult to service, but Musk won’t really care about that if it’s coming out of customer pockets :p

There is speculation that the white Multi-Coat might not show as many defects or paint issues under close delivery inspections, thus it might make it a little more forgiving on the inspection side of things leaving the factory. (IE let more out without paint correction because they know customers won’t be able to see issues).

Also, who knows, maybe the white pigment is cheaper to produce or less maintenance of their paint systems compared to darker colors? Also maybe they found across the whole available line white was more popular then black so it was/is easier to share paint lines without having to change our colors or being on additional dedicated lines for black?

There could be a number of back end benefits that we don’t see on this, heck, they may just know it’ll boost sales x% because people now don’t have to pay extra for a color they want (white) and in the long run it’s better to sell more cars then making $1000-$1500 extra on less cars. Maybe women prefer lighter colors more and they’re trying to pull in more of a new demographic?

OR, maybe black is actually preferred and this is a way to now charge for something that was free. I’ve seen a lot of people thinking about moving to higher/more expensive trim since the price drop because it’s reachable in their budget now or seems like a much better value. However, it ultimately means more out of their pocket then they were planning to spend before... so as long as it’s profitable for Musk still he might be making MORE money from it. (Think if someone that was paying $1500 extra for white now saving $2500 because of the price cut and free white, now going to long range from SR+ isn’t $9k extra out of pocket, it’s $6500, which seems like a dang good value... but it’s sooo $6500 MORE then they were going to spend last week. I don’t doubt that these constant price changes are more then Musk just picking a number, they probably run statistical models and maybe even consult with physiologists on buying habits to figure out if it’ll actually drive sales higher)

Good points. I recall in an interview with Musk they asked him which colors sell the most and not surprisingly he stated black and white. When it comes to color, black is usually thought of as beautiful when clean but requires a commitment to keep it looking that way, which is why I always thought it was the no charge color. Pearl white is usually an up charge with most manufacturers since it is Multicoat paint. I hope these changes keep the sales going.

I bought a inventory 2018 Model 3 Performance (brand new with only 50km on it) as I was looking for the best deal and didn't want to wait 3 weeks for a new one. It was from a local dealer who got it direct from Tesla the same day.

This was on July 8th. 8 days later, I could have bought a M3P for ~$4000 CAD less than what I paid. (Granted mine is black with white interior, but I would've gone for white on black if ordering new esp. at this price).

This strings quite a bit. I've been in touch with the dealer and Tesla live chat, everyone is saying tough luck. (Which totally sucks, at least last time this happened FSD went on sale.)

Edit: I'd jump at the opportunity to purchase FSD for ~$2000 and forget about huge price decrease on the M3P

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with you on this point. The #1 question I got when I told people I was buying a Tesla was, "how do you go on a road trip?". The mean, median, or mode talk doesn't matter (they already know that Teslas are the ultimate in-town cars). For example, we're going to Cherokee, NC (134 miles) in a couple of months and my wife just asked, "we're taking your P3, right?". Well, when I use abetterrouteplanner.com, it says that if we start at home with 100% we'll arrive there with 45% and it'll take 2:33 time (which is same as an ICE). Fine. However, the return is a total pain. I have to divert to the supercharger in Asheville, NC, charge for 26 minutes, making the return time 4:46. That's a significant difference. In our ICE, I can go up and back direct because there isn't an issue with getting gas along the way.

With our ICE cars I almost never think about range. You cannot underestimate the importance of convenience! People don't want to "plan" routes because of limitations, they want to go and do things.

So there's 3 issues here...

the first is for most people 99% of their driving isn't a road trip. For the 1% where it is they often have an ICE car too, or can just use superchargers. But if you need an SC depends entirely on length of road trip. So once you've got enough range to cover that 99% and Teslas all do, you'll always find SOMEONE who doesn't have enough non-SC range for whatever trip they're doing but that case won't impact sales. See, again, they're selling them faster than they can make em.

Second your trip gets you there without needing to stop at all- so just plug in while there. Even overnight on a 110v plug would give you enough to get home without issue, let alone if you stay someplace with L2 charging as many hotels offer now.

All of the above options would let you take that trip in a time identical to an ICE vehicle (actually- faster- no gas station stop on the way back)

Failing that- Cherokee has numerous public L2 chargers- including a Tesla destination charger- that spending 30-60 minutes at would also get you home just fine rather than the 2+ hour detour you describe.

Issue 3 is the thing lots of folks forget in their math of "road trips might take longer" is the time you save the other 99% of the year not stopping at gas stations 1-2 times a week, and instead just plugging in when you get home.

Even if I did have to spend an extra 1-2 hours on a roadtrip once or twice a year, I'd save more time than they in just a few months of not constantly wasting time with gas station stops.

I’m good with the slight extra planning for road trips. I’m currently saving 10-20 min a week avoiding 2 fuel ups and I do not road trip much.

Do wish hotel charging would be more common place. Even if just 20a (but would prefer a minimum of 30a/240v).

Good points. I recall in an interview with Musk they asked him which colors sell the most and not surprisingly he stated black and white. When it comes to color, black is usually thought of as beautiful when clean but requires a commitment to keep it looking that way, which is why I always thought it was the no charge color. Pearl white is usually an up charge with most manufacturers since it is Multicoat paint. I hope these changes keep the sales going.

Seemed clear Black was costing them money because upon delivery customers were complaining about paint issues, scratches, etc,.. with the black cars at a higher percentage than any of the other colors. Black was giving them more rejected cars and more initial repair costs than the other colors so those far outweigh any actual paint costs when making the cars.
I think the answer is as simple as that, they looked up what color gives them the least number of rejections and repairs and the answer was White.
I don't think demand or sales of a color had much to do with the decision.
A little surprising they are doing a Multi-Coat Pearl but that was explained as making things simple for production. Would not surprise me in the least to see a Flat White come out as standard for the China market or even here in the US at some point with flat white being introduced as the new standard and Pearl Multi-Coat again costing extra. If you love the Pearl I would not wait long.

So there's 3 issues here...

the first is for most people 99% of their driving isn't a road trip. For the 1% where it is they often have an ICE car too, or can just use superchargers. But if you need an SC depends entirely on length of road trip. So once you've got enough range to cover that 99% and Teslas all do, you'll always find SOMEONE who doesn't have enough non-SC range for whatever trip they're doing but that case won't impact sales. See, again, they're selling them faster than they can make em.

Second your trip gets you there without needing to stop at all- so just plug in while there. Even overnight on a 110v plug would give you enough to get home without issue, let alone if you stay someplace with L2 charging as many hotels offer now.

All of the above options would let you take that trip in a time identical to an ICE vehicle (actually- faster- no gas station stop on the way back)

Failing that- Cherokee has numerous public L2 chargers- including a Tesla destination charger- that spending 30-60 minutes at would also get you home just fine rather than the 2+ hour detour you describe.

Issue 3 is the thing lots of folks forget in their math of "road trips might take longer" is the time you save the other 99% of the year not stopping at gas stations 1-2 times a week, and instead just plugging in when you get home.

Even if I did have to spend an extra 1-2 hours on a roadtrip once or twice a year, I'd save more time than they in just a few months of not constantly wasting time with gas station stops.
there are no issues with his post.
he prefers to travel with ICE for longer trips.
SC or DC. you have to know where they are you will probably have to drive out of your way 90% of the time, whereas with an ice you can just drive and stop for gas whenever. gas stations are everywhere literally.

ALL YOUR POST. Literally ALL YOUR POSTS are like made by someone who must defend EV with their life.

there are no issues with his post.

There are though. I even described them in some detail :)

he prefers to travel with ICE for longer trips.

That's exactly the opposite of what his post said. He wants to use the EV for his trip, but saw some potential obstacles in doing so.

SC or DC. you have to know where they are

If only the internet existed to easily provide that info!

you will probably have to drive out of your way 90% of the time

Which is why I suggested multiple options to him that don't require doing so.

What help did you provide again?

SC or DC. you have to know where they are you will probably have to drive out of your way 90% of the time, whereas with an ice you can just drive and stop for gas whenever.

So, I just took a road trip from the Philly area to Charleston, West Virginia. ~7 hours without stops, well beyond battery or gas tank range.

If you had asked me to describe Charleston, West Virginia, I would probably have said something like "never heard of it. In the middle of nowhere? In the heart of anti-EV land?" (Side note, one of the hotel staff was on multiple days wearing a shirt reading on the front: COAL and on the back: F*** the Environmental Protection Agency. But the shirt didn't use asterisks.) And Pennsylvania is a large state, with giant rural areas -- even if the coverage is good you'd expect some gaps between chargers.

Google recommended two routes with comparable times, both of which had two strategically placed Superchargers on the way -- two different ones in PA, followed by the same one in WV. (It turned out there were more superchargers along the route in PA, I just didn't need to stop that often.) Two of the three I used at Sheetz locations and one at an outlet mall/foot court. The onboard navigation was happy to route me through those, showing expected charge remaining, charging time I should plan on, etc. I took one route on the way and the other on the way back, for variety.

Charleston WV, motto "F the EPA", has a Supercharger downtown, in a parking lot between a hotel and a Starbucks. There's also a river with wooded banks right there if you want to kill some time in nature.

To go to the middle of nowhere in the heart of anti-EV land, I went zero miles out of my way, and was greeted by a Supercharger at my destination.

So, if you want to complain about crappy range when the whole route is up and down the mountains at speed limit 70 and one entire day is driving rainstorms, we can have that discussion. (I had to charge past the recommended time, which I did, or else slow down, which wasn't as attractive.)

But I'm not sold on the "it's so hard to find chargers in a Tesla" line of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.