TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Prius hacked to high heaven

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Linux64, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Linux64

Linux64 Member

2. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I'm sure they can, since the DARPA guys were in the back seat using laptops not physically connected to the car.

However, considering the dash was torn apart, there may have been significant off-camera prep work to make the car "hackable"

3. dbfish

dbfish Member

Needless fear-mongering. All hacks currently require direct, physical access to the car.

That said, I would make sure your Tesla password is LONG. Complexity doesn't matter as much as length. You don't enter it that often. And put a passcode lock on your phone =)

"Other forms of hacking referenced in the article require physical OBD-II pass-through devices or trojan-horse-type security breeching programs loaded into the car via an encoded file on a CD or USB drive. "

4. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Regrettably, that's not correct. Schneier on Security: Hacking Cars Through Wireless Tire-Pressure Sensors . That was in 2010, and I know that the state of wirelessly hacking cars has advanced since then, but I'm not sure how much of it has been published.

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/security/3462234/researchers-reveal-methods-behind-car-hack-at-defcon/