TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

problem in reading illuminated speed signs

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by beewalker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. beewalker

beewalker Member

I find tesla always misread 80 as 60 on illuminated speed signs. Sometimes it somehow slows down though the highway is clear because of misread. Anyone has the same problem?

2. ifung90

ifung90 Member

i think the reading of the speed sign is GPS based more than "vision" based .. i will blame that as a fault in the GPS system recognizing the speed limit changes.

3. Vmax

Vmax Member

Don't think it's GPS, but camera based. Yes beewalker, I made the same observation like you.

4. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Yes, it is camera based and it struggles to read the illuminated signs.

5. ediot

ediot Member

i've set my speed limit reminder (at 10km/h excess of limit) to dashboard sign instead of the chime, since i notice it coming on more often than i'd like - i find that there're a few roads where the speed limit is 80 km/h (with those big red circle speed limit signs) and the car "reads" as 60km/h, hence thinking i'm over the limit. i usually drive at no more than 4km/h above the stated limits.

as for how the car determines the speed limit, i've read that the car first uses its cameras to try to read speed limit signs, and should that not be available/readable, it relies on GPS location vs its stored speed limit database. I'm not 100% on this as i cannot find official documentation from Tesla regarding this, but it seems like a reasonable way to do it - if any roads have construction work going on and a temporary speed limit sign is up, the car would ideally read and stick with that.