Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with "early" M3 production cars??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope you're right, but as it currently stands, Tesla is unproven where Toyota/Honda already has a reputation.
Also, if you watch the high mileage Teslas videos, I could be wrong, but EVERY SINGLE ONE of those cars in the videos has mechanical issues that required fixes. Good thing is they were all fixed under warranty.
Long term, electric cars NO DOUBT will become more reliable than ICE cars, but, I highly doubt we're there now. Remember, Toyota and Honda didn't become the juggernaut they are today overnight, it took decades.

The are Tesloop Teslas with over 300k miles on the original battery and DU. And the ones that have had battery replacements were mainly caused by their overuse of the Supercharger network which can cause premature degradation. Don't get me wrong, they're not perfect, but their long term maintenance costs are cheap in comparison to ICE vehicles in a similar price range.

Also how many ICE vehicles will hit 300k without mechanical maintenance? Not very many.

The are Tesloop Teslas with over 300k miles on the original battery and DU. And the ones that have had battery replacements were mainly caused by their overuse of the Supercharger network which can cause premature degradation. Don't get me wrong, they're not perfect, but their long term maintenance costs are cheap in comparison to ICE vehicles in a similar price range.

Also how many ICE vehicles will hit 300k without mechanical maintenance? Not very many.
Agree if you compare to ICE vehicles in a similar price range. Other than Lexus, the rest of the field including Mercedez, BMW, Audi are just problems after problems in addition to Outrageous maintenance cost. (I watched too many Scotty Kilmer youtube videos).

The most common vehicles traded in for Tesla model 3s are Accord, Civic, Prius, Leaf and BMW3. That means a significant chunk of people bought cars outside of their normal car budget including myself. For people in these I called mainstream group, if we strictly looking at value and reliability to reach 200k miles without many problems, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord is the way to go. My civic had minimal maintenance 'til 150k, my mom's Scion (toyota) never had a major component change in 15 years with 250k miles.

What we can agree on is that electric cars should be relatively maintenance free compared to ICE vehicles. What we probably differ on is until I see enough data points on long term tesla vehicle (regular usage), we simply can't say Tesla is reliable. It's like you taking a test, you're confident you'll score a really good grade because you believe you know all the answers, but until you get the scored test back....

Reactions: docboy
May 2018 Build, VIN26XXX. LR-RWD. 14,200 Miles. Absolutely No issues whatsoever. Just had Hardware 3.0 upgrade last week. Car is
street parked in Center City Philadelphia 24/7. No panel gap issues, no taillight/headlight issues, no paint issues(Ceramic Coating applied entire car, PPF on Front and rear bumpers) no glovebox issues,not even water dripping in the trunk issues. Last year when I had the State Inspection the car was jacked up and I was curious as to the condition of the bottom, especially with people having issues with the undercarriage composite tray. Guess what, the undercarriage was PRISTINE, looked like a brand new car. This was after a Winter and being outdoors on the city streets 24/7.
Best car purchase EVER.